Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared hosting on virmach.com versus vpshared.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared hosting on virmach.com versus vpshared.com

I'm looking for some advice: virmach.com and vpshared.com look like a great value.

1. virmach.com: cPanel Webhosting - Ultimate Shared Hosting $50/yr
  2. vpshared.com: Shared Hosting - Shared-20 ($10/yr recurring)

I host around 10 low traffic WordPress sites + email + some static content, etc on BlueHost.com.

I'm unhappy with the sluggishness (waiting for pageloads between clicks) of the WordPress admin dashboard and cPanel, both of which I attribute to high load on the servers. I just checked and its currently: load average: 8.44, 10.38, 10.52

My questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with them?
  2. Can you recommend one package over another?
  3. What am I giving up in terms of resources(/server crowding) by picking vpshared.com?
  4. What is a RAM/CPU allocation in the context of shared hosting?
  5. Are DDoS attacks common enough that I would want protection?

Ultimate Shared Hosting

• cPanel Included FREE!
  • Powerful Resources, Unlimited
  • No Limit Domains
  • No Limit Disk, Solid State Drive RAID 10
  • No Limit Bandwidth, 1Gbps shared speed
  • No limit # FTP Accounts
  • No limit # Email Acounts or lists
  • No limit # MySQL Databases
  • No limit # Sub domains or Parked domains
  • Maximum 250 e-mails per hour
  • 99.9% Uptime & Fast Performance
  • Jailed SSH Access Available
  • Located in New York
  • Dedicated IP FREE

SHARED-20

• 512MB RAM
  • 20GB SSD (RAID 10) [?]
  • 1TB Traffic @ 1Gbps
  • 50% Shared CPU vCore
  • 1x Dedicated IP Address
  • Free Domain – 1 Year
  • 20Gbps DDoS Protection
  • Free Daily Backups
  • Free Let’s Encrypt SSL
  • No Limit FTP, SQL
  • No Limit Domains
  • No Limit E-mail Accounts

The comparison appears to be:

Feature Ultimate Shared Hosting SHARED-20
Cost $50/yr $10/yr
cPanel Yes Yes
RAM Unlimited 1024MB
CPU Unlimited 50% vCPU
Disk Unlimited 20GB
Bandwidth Unlimited 1TB
Dedicated IP 1 1
Domains Unlimited Unlimited
FTP Unlimited Unlimited
Email Unlimited Unlimited
Databases Unlimited Unlimited
SSH Yes Yes (according to chat)
Location New York ?
DDos Protection No 20gbps
Backups No Yes

Comments

• tits... BuyShared best around from BuyVM

• Doesn't VirMach offer DDOS protection on shared hosting as well?

• Read the terms and conditions of both carefully. @VirMach alone can tell you really the differences, but $50/yr vs $10/yr is quite a difference. However that 1GB/50% vCPU will be strictly enforced.

I've never had any of my sites DDoS'd, but I have been slashdotted before, so I really have no analogies or useful information about that.

• @BuyShared @francisco is the best resealler hosting, 20$ year.

• Referral commission is mine, i said it first. OK

@vanhels said:
    @BuyShared @francisco is the best resealler hosting, 20$ year.

@WSS said:
    I've never had any of my sites DDoS'd, but I have been slashdotted before, so I really have no analogies or useful information about that.

This might change.

• @Hxxx said:
    Referral commission is mine, i said it first. OK

@vanhels said:
    @BuyShared @francisco is the best resealler hosting, 20$ year.

@WSS said:

This might change.

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @Hxxx said:
    This might change.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • My limited experience with Virmach is having an idle VPS with them in Seattle. (I monitor it with NodePing and use it for traceroutes, etc.) I can say that reachability is > 99.9%, though, and it looks like a good value for the $.

• @szarka said:
    My limited experience with Virmach is having an idle VPS with them in Seattle. (I monitor it with NodePing and use it for traceroutes, etc.) I can say that reachability is > 99.9%, though, and it looks like a good value for the $.

Stop abusing your virmach vps by staring at it! >:(

Thanked by 1asv
  • I had shared hosting with BuyShared but moved to VPShared and never looked back. The server load on VPShared is under a constant 1% over 32 cores and is noticeably faster than BuyShared (from my experience).

• @Yura said:

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2017

@szarka said:

@Yura said:

Replying with an image to anything virmach related will have them bill you. Don't you dare to cancel paypal subscription...

• Thanks all. @Mozilla, did you have any issues with their IPs getting blacklisted for email?

@Mozilla said:
    I had shared hosting with BuyShared but moved to VPShared and never looked back. The server load on VPShared is under a constant 1% over 32 cores and is noticeably faster than BuyShared (from my experience).

• MozillaMozilla Member
    edited November 2017

@ntaylor said:
    Thanks all. @Mozilla, did you have any issues with their IPs getting blacklisted for email?

@Mozilla said:
    I had shared hosting with BuyShared but moved to VPShared and never looked back. The server load on VPShared is under a constant 1% over 32 cores and is noticeably faster than BuyShared (from my experience).

I had no issues regarding my IP getting blacklisted for emails in BuyShared but that is because they have sendmail and external SMTP disabled. This means that you can't use SMTP providers such as SendGrid, Mailjet, etc. The only emails you can send are from the email accounts you create in their cPanel.

• ntaylor said: virmach.com: cPanel Webhosting - Ultimate Shared Hosting $50/yr

link?

• @corbpie said:

ntaylor said: virmach.com: cPanel Webhosting - Ultimate Shared Hosting $50/yr

link?

https://virmach.com/website-hosting/

It's the $5/month shared hosting paid yearly.

• When I was using Virmach I think they were using Apache on Cloudlinux. Is their vpshared on LiteSpeed?

• i think vpshared is the budget friendly shared hosting by virmach, look at the url :

https://vpshared.com/cheap-website-hosting/

so .. the virmach must be the premium, or unlimited version.

• @ntaylor said:
    2. vpshared.com: Shared Hosting - Shared-20 ($10/yr recurring)

Where do you see $10/yr? I see $15/yr for Shared-20.

• @depricated said:

Where do you see $10/yr? I see $15/yr for Shared-20.

Coupon Code VPSHARED30 for 30% off all below shared hosting packages, from our sister site “VPShared.”
    https://virmach.com/special-offers

Thanked by 1depricated
  • FredQcFredQc Member
    edited November 2017

I've tried Virmach's "Ultimate Shared hosting" few months ago and it was slow as hell. They also had ridiculous limits in place for iops, proc, ram, etc that looked like a free hosting bundle. I've never complained because it was so cheap and I didn't cared much at the time, having 8 VPS active with them.

• caracal said: Is their vpshared on LiteSpeed?

yes

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I'd like to provide some more information and make some corrections.

• The SHARED-20 package is 512MB RAM, and the Ultimate package is 1024MB RAM. They have 50% and 100% of a CPU core, respectively.
    • Both run on CloudLinux. However, VPShared is on an extremely large dedicated server and also has Litespeed.
    • Both have backups, but may have different settings.
    • VPShared is in Buffalo, NY with 20Gbps in-house protection. Ultimate is in Dallas, and in Los Angeles if you select the 500Gbps protected IP option.
    • With the SHARED-20 you get a free domain for the first year, but with the Ultimate package you get a lifetime free domain.

The performance on VPShared will definitely be better. We launched a new brand and took performance very seriously. The VirMach brand webhosting is slightly outdated and not on a huge dedicated server. We may update it in the near future.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Wait, does it have SSH? since unlimited CPU just login and turn on the cpu miner.

• Mining is not allowed by their TOS

"involves running a program/script that is designed to use maximum CPU (such as cryptocurrency miners) and not a general fixed amount equal or lesser to the processing power assigned to your service."

@Neoon said:
    Wait, does it have SSH? since unlimited CPU just login and turn on the cpu miner.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited November 2017

I got the $5 (plus 30% off) on the Black Friday, a few thoughts:

Setup:

• They (apparently) use LiteSpeed, which surprised me. I thought CloudLinux doesn't work well with LiteSpeed.
    • can't get phpinfo() for an unknown reason. var_dump(phpinfo()) shows null. umm....

Server:

• The server's load is so low it's unreal. (Would have believed they put it in an oversold OpenVZ container, but no, really). Currently the load is: 0.77 (32 cpus) with 7.85% memory used.

Mail:

• I asked if they have MailChannels or something similar (at least running an optimized mail setup) so that I can ditch MailCheap (who are increasing their price next year) but no. Which resulted in this:

Support:

• Support is very responsive (tier 1 support responds in 1 hr, tier 3 in 6 hrs) which was the prime reason I went with them.

Network:

• As someone from Asia, the latency jitter is somewhat high, but that's totally my fault for not looking at the network aspect before I buy.
    • Minor issue but I'm somewhat pissed that they put ny1.vpshared.com (hostname of the server) on CloudFlare. My usual setup is I point to their server's hostname so it caught me off guard when it didn't work.

In short I am really pleased with their offer and service, considering I'm only paying for $3.5 a year and I get a dedicated IP and an extremely fast server.

Thanked by 1ntaylor
  • Yeah this 3%5$ plan works really fine. RAM is on the low side, but as they have LScache enabled it's possible to achieve quite good results :)

The server is really snappy compared to the oversold crap we usually find at those prices, and a dedicated IP is nice!

• I was curious about phpinfo() too but then I saw the following in my error_log

PHP Warning:  phpinfo() has been disabled for security reasons

@klikli said:

• can't get phpinfo() for an unknown reason. var_dump(phpinfo()) shows null. umm....

I chose VPShared and am happy, though I have been waiting for shell access for around 36 hours. Not a big deal though.

• @Mozilla said:
    I had no issues regarding my IP getting blacklisted for emails in BuyShared but that is because they have sendmail and external SMTP disabled. This means that you can't use SMTP providers such as SendGrid, Mailjet, etc. The only emails you can send are from the email accounts you create in their cPanel.

I had them turn off the cpanel email b/c it was filling up my quota with junk log & error output. In light of what you posted, guess I'm SOL as far as email on BuyShared.

• I'm about a month into vpshared.com now, and I am extremely happy with the value.

Thanked by 1VirMach