Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple clients, owncloud, mail and multiple php versions - VPS, or is reseller account enough??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple clients, owncloud, mail and multiple php versions - VPS, or is reseller account enough??

Currently with a large shared account with NC. I have absolutely no complain about their services but one of my client needs to have multiple php version for their domain.

Requirements & specs

Asia friendly, all of the users are in Asia

1 Multiple clients, less than 10, very small user base (less than 300). Not running heavy resource plugins

2 Multiple PHP version in same domain for one of the client.

The client is running wordpress with minimal plugins (Event Calendar) php 5.6 is OK and a
custom PHP app which requires 5.3

3 Owncloud , I just realized that a lot of hosts block Owncloud

4 Mail - I'll probably get one mail hosting during black friday

I have a shared hosting for a client on buyshared, and I've shortlisted their KVM but since I've never done VPS/KVM I'm looking for some recommendations on resellers and other hosts that could work with my requirement.

Issue with VPS

Never done one. I have done websites running on Ubuntu server and Centos 5, but I need multiple php for one domain and I don't know how to achieve this on a VPS.

I know all of my clients personally so I don't really need cpanel or WHM but it'll be nice to have just in case.

GUI and remote access. Is there a guide for running both on buyVM?

Comments

• Even though you say you are a newbie, I think you may be ready for a VPS. It brings better control for the sites you host. (I jumped on the VPS bandwagon recently, and so far I am glad I did it).

For multiple PHP versions, OpenLiteSpeed lets you set PHP versions by domain. There is a neat script by @cyberpersons (CyberPanel) that automates the initial install. OLS comes with a web panel so you are not fidgeting with the command line for basic web server commands.

And yes, BuyVM is a good choice. Haven't heard anything but good feedback about @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

baxic said: GUI and remote access. Is there a guide for running both on buyVM?

That's not hard, we have many people that just install Ubuntu's Desktop edition on their VPS and have at it :)

Francisco

• @ramesh_vish said:
    Even though you say you are a newbie, I think you may be ready for a VPS. It brings better control for the sites you host. (I jumped on the VPS bandwagon recently, and so far I am glad I did it).

For multiple PHP versions, OpenLiteSpeed lets you set PHP versions by domain. There is a neat script by @cyberpersons (CyberPanel) that automates the initial install. OLS comes with a web panel so you are not fidgeting with the command line for basic web server commands.

And yes, BuyVM is a good choice. Haven't heard anything but good feedback about @Francisco

I think after a few months on LET I'm pretty convinced that VPS is the way forward even for a small time dev like me. Might even be able to finally offer something like a simple SAAS minus the initial cost. I just have to start dipping my toes in VPS to play with on black friday.

Thanks for the encouragement and the OpenLiteSpeed tip.

• and let us know if you run into any issue. :)

• @Francisco said:

baxic said: GUI and remote access. Is there a guide for running both on buyVM?

That's not hard, we have many people that just install Ubuntu's Desktop edition on their VPS and have at it :)

Francisco

Been going through a few tutorials so far. Downloading Virtual Box as I'm typing this :).

• Finally someone using his/her own computer as dev box for learning purpose, rather than begging for super super super low vps.

Good luck on your journey @baxic