Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Spaces
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Spaces

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-digitalocean-spaces

DigitalOcean Spaces are designed to make it easy and cost effective to store and serve massive amounts of data. You can create them in a few seconds and use them immediately with no configuration. Data transfer is automatically secured with HTTPS, and the available storage capacity scales seamlessly.

DigitalOcean Spaces at a Glance

Free trial period: Two months
    Base price (after trial):
        Base rate: $5/month
        Data storage: 250GB
        Outbound bandwidth: 1TB
        No charge for Inbound bandwidth.
    Overage:
        Additional storage: $0.02/GB
        Additional outbound transfer: $0.01/GB
    Regional Availability: At launch, Spaces are available in the NYC3 region.
    Supported Protocols: HTTPS.
    URL Naming Pattern: spacename.region.digitaloceanspaces.com or region.digitaloceanspaces.com/spacename

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

DO offers space and I can get my own space from them.

TL;DR: DO offers MySpace.

Thanked by 2WebProject sin
  • I'm waiting for Facebyte, myself.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

I don't understand why they charge the base rate? I have been testing it during the beta and it works really well and the UI is slick, but even AWS isn't charging a base rate.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • The base rate is kinda meh, I'm currently at ~50GB (somewhat slowly growing) which would cost around $1 if there wasn't the $5 minimum.

I have confirmed with them that traffic to droplets in the same region is free (like AWS) so that's neat. But I wonder if they actually charge for object storage transfer in the first place.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

Rodney said: if there wasn't the $5 minimum.

Then there wouldn't be 1TB transfer provided with the plan. You okay with paying as you go at $10/TB for transfer, with none included?

(I guess some would be, but personally I want my expenses predictable and would instead choose an unmetered VPS or dedi).

Thanked by 1gaarai
  • Pricing is 400% higher than Backblaze B2, although outbound transfer cost is half. I guess it's dependent on if you're just storing a lot of data versus needing to distribute it too.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited September 2017
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Damian said:
    Pricing is 400% higher than Backblaze B2, although outbound transfer cost is half. I guess it's dependent on if you're just storing a lot of data versus needing to distribute it too.

Basically everyone is more expensive than B2, they're amazing. Real benefit here is needing your data closer to your server.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • jarland said: Real benefit here is needing your data closer to your server.

This, Backblaze can't compete here and it's more important to have the data close.

• @jarland said:

@Damian said:
    Pricing is 400% higher than Backblaze B2, although outbound transfer cost is half. I guess it's dependent on if you're just storing a lot of data versus needing to distribute it too.

Basically everyone is more expensive than B2, they're amazing. Real benefit here is needing your data closer to your server.

Is it also billed hourly? That would make it interesting for processing a large file for a few days

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2017

teamacc said: Is it also billed hourly? That would make it interesting for processing a large file for a few days

Take this with a grain of salt, but I believe the storage usage is averaged over the month. I'll dig into the code later or ask one of the devs when I get a chance.

Edit: Confirmed. Averaged for the month.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • levnodelevnode Member
    edited September 2017

1c/1GB is too expensive. Anyone has another option for this type of storage? I am in need of distributed storage like google cloud with about 50GB storage and 3T transfer a month. I also need direct link to my file. Currently, I am using @liteserver, their service is very good but sometime it takes a little long time to deliver my file from EU to North America. Thanks!

• @rm_ said:

Rodney said: if there wasn't the $5 minimum.

Then there wouldn't be 1TB transfer provided with the plan. You okay with paying as you go at $10/TB for transfer, with none included?

(I guess some would be, but personally I want my expenses predictable and would instead choose an unmetered VPS or dedi).

Since my use case barely has any outbound transfer the included 1 TB don't really matter to me.