Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
β€Ί RamNode is now offering shared hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

RamNode is now offering shared hosting

HxxxHxxx Member
edited September 2017 in Providers

Saw this on WHT:

Features

Each shared hosting account comes with the following features:

Pure SSD storage

cPanel control panel

LiteSpeed web server

CloudLinux

Softaculous Auto Installer (WordPress, Joomla, etc.)

R1Soft Backups

UNLIMITED databases, email accounts, domains, etc.

FREE UNLIMITED SSL

INSTANT setup

FREE cPanel migration

DDoS protection

SSH access

It seems prices start at 7/mo for one account and 14/mo for resellers. Everything *unlimited except storage.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
Β«1

Comments

• Ain't everyone

Thanked by 2ChristianDSH WSS
  • You'd think they could lower their standards to shill for themselves.

• Do we know why RamNode abandoned LET? They were (still are) popular among the LET crowd.

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• @angstrom said:
    Do we know why RamNode abandoned LET? They were (still are) popular among the LET crowd.

We are a bunch of cunts

Thanked by 2mikho mehargags
  • @FredQc said:

@angstrom said:
    Do we know why RamNode abandoned LET? They were (still are) popular among the LET crowd.

We are a bunch of cunts

Well, that's one explanation. Even so, money from c*nts is money.

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• @angstrom said:

@FredQc said:

@angstrom said:

We are a bunch of cunts

Well, that's one explanation. Even so, money from c*nts is money.

Well, for same price, I rather have a 125GB reseller from @Francisco vs 15GB from RamNode.

• I would expect a dedicated IP for that price IMHO

Thanked by 1vimalware

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• @Hxxx said:
    Everything *unlimited except storage.

Isn't this same as mx shared @jarland

• @jetchirag said:

MXShared is closing down.....

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Provider

@slowdive said:

@jetchirag said:

Aye. Closing up shop. It's unfair to my customers, who I'm having enough trouble taking care of support for right now. Ramnode sounds like a great choice to bet on someone new in shared.

8pay is a spam organization do not get in bed with them

• @hostnoob said:
    I would expect a dedicated IP for that price IMHO

They are charging an extra $ 3 / month for a dedicated IP - ouch.

• nyvpsusernyvpsuser Member
    edited September 2017

@Hxxx said:

It seems prices start at 7/mo for one account and 14/mo for resellers. Everything *unlimited except storage.

For that price you get 15 GB storage whereas even their $5/month KVM VPS gives you 20 GB.

https://ramnode.com/shared.php

• @jarland said:

@slowdive said:

@jetchirag said:

Aye. Closing up shop. It's unfair to my customers, who I'm having enough trouble taking care of support for right now. Ramnode sounds like a great choice to bet on someone new in shared.

Why are you closing mx shared? :/ Too much support issues? Hope everything turns out well for everyone involved :)

• jarjar Provider

Ympker said: Why are you closing mx shared? :/ Too much support issues? Hope everything turns out well for everyone involved :)

MXroute rapidly grew with a new customer base that is requiring more support per client than I had ever intended, or had seen with the first thousand or so customers. As a result, I'm behind in support workload and can't quite justify a hire right as I need to clean up the finances and prepare it for being more than just a small business. MXshared just seemed unfair to MXroute customers, taking away time that I needed to spend helping them. I gave a lot of notice and I'm refunding everyone paid up for beyond the shutdown date though, so hopefully no one feels wronged.

Thanked by 2cfgguy Ympker

• Interesting. Wish there was a smaller reseller option. Will probably grab an account for work though, I trust @Nick_A and crew to provide a quality product.

Still bummed about the MXShared shutdown, the reseller plan was killer at $4/mo.

Thanked by 1Nick_A

🐴 $2/mo 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $1.25 for 256GB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

• There's a 25% recurring coupon on the WHT listing as well. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1672806

Looks like $3/mo dedicated IP costs are because the service is DDoS protected.

🐴 $2/mo 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $1.25 for 256GB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

• Only the Mighty Stallion can handle such business.

@Francisco

But in all honesty MXShared should have been sold as a self-support self-managed solution, only suitable for people with experience that knows what they are doing.

@jarland.

@Harambe said:
    Interesting. Wish there was a smaller reseller option. Will probably grab an account for work though, I trust @Nick_A and crew to provide a quality product.

Still bummed about the MXShared shutdown, the reseller plan was killer at $4/mo.

• HarambeHarambe Member
    edited September 2017

@Hxxx said:
    Only the Mighty Stallion can handle such business.

Have a plan in LV and LU. However the performance can be a tad rough at times, and then there were a bunch of Litespeed and other node issues here and there.

I use it for dev/playing around, but would love a higher dollar, lower density plan from BuyShared - would jump on that in a heartbeat.

But in all honesty MXShared should have been sold as a self-support self-managed solution, only suitable for people with experience that knows what they are doing.

Yeah, I think I've dropped a single ticket and it was due to a Blesta billing issue on signup. Service has been solid, not a single issue I can recall in the last 6 months.

• @Harambe said:
    There's a 25% recurring coupon on the WHT listing as well. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1672806

I see shared hosting is only "available in Atlanta and The Netherlands".

Also I see now jailed ssh access is included in the base price.

• Nick_ANick_A Top Provider

Thanks guys. We just launched this today, so we definitely welcome feedback.

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection
  • @Nick_A said:
    Thanks guys. We just launched this today, so we definitely welcome feedback.

Do you have the resource limits per-account listed somewhere? IOPS/processes/etc?

Thanked by 1Darwin

• @FredQc

Shared hosting, sure.

When it comes to a reliable little box, I'll grab myself a 128MB system at Ramnode. (Not to exclude you @Francisco, if I need one in Las Vegas, I know where to jump to for a slice :3).

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

• too expensive, since it didn't included IP address.

We only support unsupported OS!

• @jarland which plug in were you using for the nginx?

• With 25% off it seems reasonable, if quality of service is the same as their previous offerings.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited September 2017

jarland said: MXroute rapidly grew with a new customer base that is requiring more support per client than I had ever intended, or had seen with the first thousand or so customers.

Interesting. Were the first thousand or so customers LET like crowd, used to fix things / understand how shit works, and then you went more mainstream / wide?

Back on topic, ramnode is a great provider, but this offer is too expensive in my opinion when there are nice & cheaper alternatives like buyshared...

edit: I guess it depends how they set up the limits on IO, RAM, CPU and the like, compared to other providers... If someone tries a plan with them and want to share that info, that would be great!

don't buy what you don't need: you'll save money and will end up able to grab a quality VPS when really needed.

• I have signed up for a reseller plan with them in their US/Atlanta location (just to offload managing my own cPanel installation for several sites to someone else).

So far, the service seems very fast and responsive (of course, I doubt many people are on their shared hosting plan, so we will have to see how that changes as the server(s) gradually fill(s) up).

At the beginning, I had a few problems with I/O limits being way too low and slowing down my sites, but turns out, that was because they transferred backups for me from my old server and forgot to re-adjust the limits correctly, so that was resolved very quickly.

I/O limits are as follows (for each of the accounts I create):

CPU usage: 100 (%) I/O usage: 30 MByte/sec IOPS: 7680 Entry processes: 20 Physical Memory Usage: 1GB Number of processes: 100

• jarjar Provider

@jetchirag said:
    @jarland which plug in were you using for the nginx?

Ended up with none because there always seemed to be an issue somewhere. AutoSSL if nothing else.

@datanoise said:

jarland said: MXroute rapidly grew with a new customer base that is requiring more support per client than I had ever intended, or had seen with the first thousand or so customers.

Interesting. Were the first thousand or so customers LET like crowd, used to fix things / understand how shit works, and then you went more mainstream / wide?

Back on topic, ramnode is a great provider, but this offer is too expensive in my opinion when there are nice & cheaper alternatives like buyshared...

edit: I guess it depends how they set up the limits on IO, RAM, CPU and the like, compared to other providers... If someone tries a plan with them and want to share that info, that would be great!

Yeah it got big with Dreamhost customers.

Thanked by 2jetchirag datanoise

• @nyvpsuser said:

@Hxxx said:

For that price you get 15 GB storage whereas even their $5/month KVM VPS gives you 20 GB.

https://ramnode.com/shared.php

well a lot of people don't know how to set up a VPS so require something already set up with a popular easy-to-use control panel

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Isn't $3 per additional disk a lottt

• @jetchirag said:
    Isn't $3 per additional disk a lottt

$3 per 5GB, definitely high by LET standards.

• Fastmako (aff) - another cheap VPS.

• Too expensive, adding a more LET-friendly 2-5GB plan would be a good idea. Is Litespeed cache supported?

• @bersy said:
    Is Litespeed cache supported?

It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thanked by 1bersy

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2017

Harambe said: It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thx, and the Crawl feature?

• @bersy said:

Harambe said: It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

Thx, and the Crawl feature?

Looks like it isn't.

WARNING

The crawler feature is not enabled on the LiteSpeed server. Please consult your server admin.

Thanked by 2bersy datanoise

• Just noticed something when setting up more E-Mail accounts: They seem to use MailChannel for all outgoing E-Mail, which is quite cool because it means your E-Mail won't just go to spam all the time (which has been an issue why I usually use SES or SendGrid for outgoing mail instead of the local SMTP)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • RhysRhys Member, Provider

@doridian said:
    Just noticed something when setting up more E-Mail accounts: They seem to use MailChannel for all outgoing E-Mail, which is quite cool because it means your E-Mail won't just go to spam all the time (which has been an issue why I usually use SES or SendGrid for outgoing mail instead of the local SMTP)

MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • Anyone reselling these in the states?

• Rhys said: MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Oh, didn't realize. Been out of the shared hosting for quite a while doing everything on my own VPSs (which I now got too lazy to do, due to work needing more time)

• @Rhys said:
    MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Thanks for calling me decent bae <3

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited September 2017

@Harambe said:

@bersy said:
    Is Litespeed cache supported?

It is. Just grabbed a reseller account for work. Hopefully they can keep it nice and snappy as it fills up.

How much ram did they allocated?

Edit: Already posted above

• Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

• doridiandoridian Member
    edited September 2017

@dragon1993 said:
    Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

1) Have not seen a Mail limit, where can this be seen?

2) MariaDB 10.1

3) You mean https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php ?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

$3 / mo per IP is cheap. It’s not as IP prices are comming down, are they ?

Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from Β£39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

• @doridian said:

Rhys said: MC is pretty standard on decent shared hosting at this point.

Oh, didn't realize. Been out of the shared hosting for quite a while doing everything on my own VPSs (which I now got too lazy to do, due to work needing more time)

Well it's not offered on BuyShared which was mentioned previously in this thread for being a cheaper alternative. Just FYI.

• @doridian said:

@dragon1993 said:
    Outgoing mail limit?
    MySQL version?
    Bench.php result?

1) Have not seen a Mail limit, where can this be seen?

2) MariaDB 10.1

3) You mean https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php ?

Yes, i would have liked this:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php
    Thanks for the help

• @dragon1993 said:

Yes, i would have liked this:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php
    Thanks for the help

Here's the output I got (PHP 7.1 being used on this account):

simple 0.053
    simplecall 0.009
    simpleucall 0.023
    simpleudcall 0.025
    mandel 0.167
    mandel2 0.170
    ackermann(7) 0.026
    ary(50000) 0.005
    ary2(50000) 0.004
    ary3(2000) 0.050
    fibo(30) 0.083
    hash1(50000) 0.014
    hash2(500) 0.009
    heapsort(20000) 0.034
    matrix(20) 0.032
    nestedloop(12) 0.087
    sieve(30) 0.020
    strcat(200000) 0.005

Total 0.815

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2017

I hope Ramnode knows what they are getting them selves into, shared hosting is almost twice the work load of any regular VPS customer in my experience. I wonder how long till they realize this and re-evaluate if they want to continue?

Don't get me wrong, if anyone can pull it off Ramnode can, but having done support for everything from shared hosting and e-mail to multi-server clusters and network infrastructure, in most cases the most demanding of support is shared customers.

Maybe they had some extra support cycles to make use of so thought this would be a great way to haze the L1 support agents? :D

Either way @Nick_A good luck with your new venture into shared hosting (you will probably need it)!

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2Nick_A bersy

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Armbian | Atomic Pi Mirror
    22+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development Services