Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Looking for VPS with possibly unmetered bandwidth to stream sports event
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Looking for VPS with possibly unmetered bandwidth to stream sports event

I want to stream a sports event. I will use nginx and take RTMP as input and stream using HLS. Never done this before.

If the incoming stream bit rate is 600kbps (it's actually variable and can go up 3MBps) and output is at 600kbps then how much bandwidth is required for streaming a 3 to 4 hour event. I need to do this for 3 days so this 3 to 4 hour is for one day only.

Do you think having multicast will help (don't know what it is just saw this name on Google while searching) but I guess that will be expensive!?

I assume 1000 users will watch it (if it's too high then I can reduce it)

Will unmetered bandwidth at 100mpbs be enough? Or 1TB per day bandwidth at 1Gbps be enough?

So how much $ am I looking at?

Comments

  • Do you have the proper broadcasting/streaming rights to stream said sports event?

    Thanked by 2WSS Clouvider
  • @Aidan said:
    Do you have the proper broadcasting/streaming rights to stream said sports event?

    I guess not. I am buying streaming from somewhere though.

  • Bandwidth ingress at 3mbps for 4 hours on 3 days would be ~15GB traffic.

    As for egress, with 1000 users watching at 600kbps per connection - you'll need at least ~600mbps & will produce ~3TB traffic over 3 days.

    You'll need a pretty decent server to handle 1000 concurrent users.

    If you meant MB/s & KB/s, then multiply my above-mentioned values by eight.

  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2017

    alilet said: I guess not. I am buying streaming from somewhere though.

    So, not only you will stream copyrighted content you don't have the rights, but you will also cheat the original provider that is streaming it illegally! Nice!

    I am here occasionally nowadays, because I really prefer https://talk.lowendspirit.com . You should try it, it is fat-free, delicious with fresh ingredients combined with the deep knowledge of the old chefs!

  • Stay classy, LET.

  • nicenice Member, Provider

    @jvnadr said:

    alilet said: I guess not. I am buying streaming from somewhere though.

    So, not only you will stream copyrighted content you don't have the rights, but you will also cheat the original provider that is streaming it illegally! Nice!

    Nice one.

    NiceVPS.net - Professional private hosting, VPS (KVM/LXC), Anonymous Domains - instant and automatic delivery
    Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, DASH, Monero, Zcash, PayPal and PerfectMoney Accepted - Own HW and control panel (hPanel)

  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2017

    Aidan said: As for egress, with 1000 users watching at 600kbps per connection - you'll need at least ~600mbps & will produce ~3TB traffic over 3 days.

    If you calculate the overhead to the traffic, packet loss etc., he will need dedicated 1Gbps line with a decent network, not to say multi-homed! As of the cpu, if it is just restreaming, the load will not be so much, any decent today's cpu can handle that. If the server will be used for password protected streams, you also will need to add some cpu power to the load.
    The real thing here, will be the traffic cost of the server. He will need over 230 TB dedicated traffic per month! This cost will be huge! 20 vps from different providers with shared - non dedicated traffic and a load balancing solution will be much better, cheaper and safer ;)

    EDIT: I just saw the 3-4 hours per day thing. My calculations are for 24 hours per day for a whole month. As of the pipe needed for 100 concurrent users, the calculation remain the same though.

    I am here occasionally nowadays, because I really prefer https://talk.lowendspirit.com . You should try it, it is fat-free, delicious with fresh ingredients combined with the deep knowledge of the old chefs!

  • Also, would benefit from an Intel NIC. RealTek need not apply.

  • @jvnadr said:

    Aidan said: As for egress, with 1000 users watching at 600kbps per connection - you'll need at least ~600mbps & will produce ~3TB traffic over 3 days.

    If you calculate the overhead to the traffic, packet loss etc., he will need dedicated 1Gbps line with a decent network, not to say multi-homed! As of the cpu, if it is just restreaming, the load will not be so much, any decent today's cpu can handle that. If the server will be used for password protected streams, you also will need to add some cpu power to the load.
    The real thing here, will be the traffic cost of the server. He will need over 230 TB dedicated traffic per month! This cost will be huge! 20 vps from different providers with shared - non dedicated traffic and a load balancing solution will be much better, cheaper and safer ;)

    EDIT: I just saw the 3-4 hours per day thing. My calculations are for 24 hours per day for a whole month. As of the pipe needed for 100 concurrent users, the calculation remain the same though.

    Let's assume 100 concurrent users, will a VPS be able to handle it or does it require dedicated server?

  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited September 2017

    alilet said: I assume 1000 users will watch it (if it's too high then I can reduce it)

    Will unmetered bandwidth at 100mpbs be enough? Or 1TB per day bandwidth at 1Gbps be enough?

    I do some small live video streaming of our church services.

    I assume 600kbps for both audio and video. Around 1GB for 4 hours per user. So you need around 1TB bandwidth per event.

    You need at least 600Mbps, so maybe dedicated 1GBPS for some wiggle room.

    Edit: remove some portion of my answer, reviewed as not right.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    I dunno why he is even helped from he moment it was clear that he is going to stream it illegally ?

    Clouvider Limited - Leading EU Provider || Dedicated Server Sale - Our Latest LET Offer

    Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

  • alilet said: Let's assume 100 concurrent users, will a VPS be able to handle it or does it require dedicated server?

    Don't do it. Illegal streaming will lead you to ban and legal problems. A dedicated service, not to mention a vps, from any reputable provider will receive immediatelly a dmca or complain. No serious provider want to host illegal stuff in his infrastructure.

    Clouvider said: I dunno why he is even helped from he moment it was clear that he is going to stream it illegally ?

    You got a point. My answer was only for general discussion about server needs for streaming, what is demanding on resources and what's not. But I can see your view...

    Thanked by 1lazyt

    I am here occasionally nowadays, because I really prefer https://talk.lowendspirit.com . You should try it, it is fat-free, delicious with fresh ingredients combined with the deep knowledge of the old chefs!

  • Let's not discuss topics like unlicensed streaming on LET.

    For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

This discussion has been closed.