Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 7 in 3TB HD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 7 in 3TB HD

noqqkknoqqkk Member

I purchased a storage VPS (3TB). The VPS provider installed their default OS Debian and then released the VPS for me. I can login using SSH to the VPS without problem.

Since I just know Centos, I reinstall the OS to Centos using their default image Centos 7 in Control Panel but got below error meeage in their control panel page during the OS installation.

Server stopped
There is an error occured while the image was installed.

Then I contacted the support but they replied they have no responsibility to help due to this is un-managed VPS.

Please help to let me know how can I install centos 7 in 3TB HD. I tried to install it using centos ISO but also got unexpected error during installation. Many thanks.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

noqqkk said: Then I contacted the support but they replied they have no responsibility to help due to this is un-managed VPS.

Are you (1) using an image they provide (select an OS and click reinstall kind of thing) or are you (2) mounting the CentOS 7 CD and working through the CentOS installer?

If (1) then I think that's definitely the provider's problem. How would you fix that?

For (2), yeah that's on you. But there's no reason it shouldn't work...assuming you're not doing something bizarre with partitioning or something.

Thanked by 3Falzo noqqkk sayem314
  • FalzoFalzo Member

OVZ or KVM?

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

raindog308 said: (1) then I think that's definitely the provider's problem. How would you fix that?

They advise me to use CD-Rom to install.

raindog308 said: For (2), yeah that's on you. But there's no reason it shouldn't work...assuming you're not doing something bizarre with partitioning or something.

Whether Centos not support more than 2TB HD?

Falzo said: OVZ or KVM?

KVM

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @noqqkk said:

raindog308 said: (1) then I think that's definitely the provider's problem. How would you fix that?

They advise me to use CD-Rom to install.

raindog308 said: For (2), yeah that's on you. But there's no reason it shouldn't work...assuming you're not doing something bizarre with partitioning or something.

Whether Centos not support more than 2TB HD?

Falzo said: OVZ or KVM?

KVM

I think you miss the question here. Do you install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image or do you do it manually?

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Afair centos 7 should be able to handle >2TB oob. So just mount the according install iso (needs to be provided in your CP) and use vnc to navigate through setup process.

Also for KVM your provider might be right in denying responsibility as long as he offers enough possibilities to enable you proper self managment (e.g. providing netinst isos) ;-)

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • I would be careful with disks above 2TB and booting, if you are going to use a root above 2TB then make sure your /boot is on a separate partition at the beginning it's still an issue on some machines, not sure if seabios handles it but that might be part of the issue

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

Vinnyletje said: I think you miss the question here. Do you install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image or do you do it manually?

My 1st step : install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image but got error messages that showed on their control panel page during OS installation.

My 2nd step : Contacted support they said use CD-rom to install

My 3nd step : Manual mount the ISO to CD-rom. Install it by myself but got unexpected error message during doing the setting of centos installation. VPS rebooted automatically.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

dragon2611 said: I would be careful with disks above 2TB and booting, if you are going to use a root above 2TB then make sure your /boot is on a separate partition at the beginning it's still an issue on some machines, not sure if seabios handles it but that might be part of the issue

Thanks for your advise and will try.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

noqqkk said: My 1st step : install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image but got error messages that showed on their control panel page during OS installation.

I think they're ducking their responsibilities. They sold you a VPS and provide a panel so you can install the OS of your choice. The moment it doesn't work, they say "oh well, try with CDROM and you're on your own" -?

I'd name & shame and look elsewhere.

• noamannoaman Member

@noqqkk said:

Vinnyletje said: I think you miss the question here. Do you install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image or do you do it manually?

My 1st step : install centos via their webpanel by selecting an image but got error messages that showed on their control panel page during OS installation.

My 3nd step : Manual mount the ISO to CD-rom. Install it by myself but got unexpected error message during doing the setting of centos installation. VPS rebooted automatically.

if you are selecting an image the provider is providing then its their responsibility to make sure that it is correcty installed

if you are mounting it your self then its your problem

that being said

Just like @raindog308 said name the PROVIDER

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

raindog308 said: I think they're ducking their responsibilities. They sold you a VPS and provide a panel so you can install the OS of your choice. The moment it doesn't work, they say "oh well, try with CDROM and you're on your own" -?

I'd name & shame and look elsewhere.

Exactly what i thought so that why I decided to contact support yet although I purchased is an un-managed VPS.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

In a legal sense, there's probably a gray zone with respect to how responsible a provider is for the OS images that they offer, but the usual understanding is that if a provider offers (e.g.) a CentOS 7 image, then the customer can rightly expect for that OS image to install without errors.

I would definitely hesitate to remain with a provider who doesn't care whether the OS images that they provide can be installed without error.

• @dragon2611 said:
    I would be careful with disks above 2TB and booting, if you are going to use a root above 2TB then make sure your /boot is on a separate partition at the beginning it's still an issue on some machines, not sure if seabios handles it but that might be part of the issue

I think you'll have to use GPT instead of MBR in that case.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2017

Just wanna correct myself that, MBR can manage at most 4TB under 512b sector mode. You can create 2x 1.5TB partition to use all the space.

Also if you want to use the disk under GPT mode (if you are given EFI boot), you have to create a separate EFI system partition for boot files.

@msg7086 said:
    Just wanna correct myself that, MBR can manage at most 4TB under 512b sector mode. You can create 2x 1.5TB partition to use all the space.

Also if you want to use the disk under GPT mode (if you are given EFI boot), you have to create a separate EFI system partition for boot files.

This is probably all moot, because the OP's (= @noqqkk) disk size is 3TB. Moreover, the error message,

Server stopped There is an error occured while the image was installed.

although not very informative, suggests that something is wrong with the image.

In any case, without further info, it's hard to guess what the problem may be.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Cociu does not support Centos 7

@pbgben said:

Good try, :-) but to be fair, I don't think that @cociu offers a CentOS 7 image or ISO.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@angstrom said:

@pbgben said:

Good try, :-) but to be fair, I don't think that @cociu offers a CentOS 7 image or ISO.

I'm pretty sure cociu's TB sized VPSes are all OVZ, which won't have a CD-Rom option.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

Thanks all. Finally I installed Centos 7 using ISO by myself.

After tried several times installed using ISO, I found it must be failure if put 2.9TB in /(root). I finally assigned 100GB for /(root) and other remaining disk size to the separated partition e.g. /backup.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Wow. Something broken in their system and they doesn't give a fuck ? Probably the guy you talk to is some low-level grunt. You should ask it to be escalated to their superior, or name the provider here, let their representative know that there are issues on their panel.

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

yokowasis said: Wow. Something broken in their system and they doesn't give a fuck ? Probably the guy you talk to is some low-level grunt. You should ask it to be escalated to their superior, or name the provider here, let their representative know that there are issues on their panel.

Right, I really want to name it here due to they have a high reputation in EU and I am not to complain them just want them to do better.

However, I already solved the problem by myself and would like to use their storage plan yet, finally decided to no name it here due to worry about the bad support will delete all my uploaded files or do something in my storage box.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@noqqkk said:

yokowasis said: Wow. Something broken in their system and they doesn't give a fuck ? Probably the guy you talk to is some low-level grunt. You should ask it to be escalated to their superior, or name the provider here, let their representative know that there are issues on their panel.

Right, I really want to name it here due to they have a high reputation in EU and I am not to complain them just want them to do better.

However, I already solved the problem by myself and would like to use their storage plan yet, finally decided to no name it here due to worry about the bad support will delete all my uploaded files or do something in my storage box.

just curious, how much money do you spend for vps with that high disk size?

• 3 TB for vps? I think you have got cloud thats why it is having issues normally 3 TB hard disk should not be issue for centos 7. Why don't you go for dedicated server it is better to have 3 TB dedicated server instead of 3 TB vps.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@noqqkk said:

Honestly, if you're afraid of that, you should probably just move your data elsewhere entirely. You should be able to trust your provider not to go out and delete your data.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

akhfa said: just curious, how much money do you spend for vps with that high disk size?

EUR 27

robert4u said: 3 TB for vps? I think you have got cloud thats why it is having issues normally 3 TB hard disk should not be issue for centos 7. Why don't you go for dedicated server it is better to have 3 TB dedicated server instead of 3 TB vps.

Is there any server around EUR 30 in EU but 3TB size with raid protection. Thanks.

joepie91 said: Honestly, if you're afraid of that, you should probably just move your data elsewhere entirely. You should be able to trust your provider not to go out and delete your data.

Trust them so that I continue to use their service. My this case may be just an exceptional case. Their other supports especially account that provided an excellent support.

Give the bad guy support a chance. If next time happen again, must name it here.

• FalzoFalzo Member

noqqkk said: Is there any server around EUR 30 in EU but 3TB size with raid protection. Thanks.

do you need to pay any VAT? Hetzners serverboerse probably is the place you want to look at... dedis with 2x 3TB starts at around 27€ excl. VAT there, you might need some patience if you want a cheap one, as it is kind of reverse auction principle with dropping prices.

there are not much providers offering 3TB VMs at all... if you need help with any german support, let me know, I might be able to help with language barriers ;-)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Falzo, Thank you for your offer to help with language barriers, but our support staff speaks English, albeit not always perfectly. ;) --Katie, Marketing, Hetzner Online

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Falzo, Thank you for your offer to help with language barriers, but our support staff speaks English, albeit not always perfectly. ;) --Katie, Marketing, Hetzner Online

Hi Katie, nice to finally see someone from Hetzner joining this community!

I suggest using the lowendtalk support system for getting the provider tag / verifying your identity so people around here can rely on your answers ;-)

for me offering help to @nqqqkk - that wasn't especially meant in regards of hetzner, more as general thing.
    I still think german habbits on contract and maybe even support matters aren't easily compared to those a lot of customers are used to from other services and maybe often expect different behaviour. sometimes german inhouse support staff might not be aware of that hence I feel the need to help in clarifying...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said:

Holy shit, a Hetzner rep - prepare for a barrage of PMs asking for support/specials. Run!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

Falzo said: do you need to pay any VAT?

No need to pay VAT I asked.

@Falzo must contact you via message if need to help. Thanks a million.