Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a good deal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this a good deal?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited June 2017 in General

Wondering whether this is a good deal considering the 1 Gbit/s is to be expected simultanously:

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2/ 8Cores HT

» Memory: 16GB ECC DDR3 RAM

» Storage Drive 1: 500GB HDD

» Network Port: 1Gbit Unshared

» DataTransfer: 50TB Per Month

» Usable IP/s: 1 IP

» Operating System: You select

» DDOS Protection: 5 Gbit/s Free

» KVM Access: Free

Monthly: €49.00 EUR

They seem to guarantee 1000/1000 until you reach the 50 TB traffic cap:

I contacted their Skype support and they said: "We guarantee full speed as advertised."

Their DC is in Amsterdam I am currently trying to find out which DC they are at :)

Currently doing some reasearch on them: https://whois.uanic.name/eng/ip/185.11.145.5.html

If anyone else can find something else about them except their negative WHT review and the fact they are advertising on HF (although highly reputable there)?

I remember all those threads were people are looking for unshared 1000/1000 port speed and
a lot of people, but especially @wiliam saying that this would cost 200€+ so I guess I'm just making myself false hopes, eh :/ #justwantstobeLE

Edit:

Found out that http://whois.domaintools.com/xeonrdp.com points to Blazingfast.io nameservers. Afaik Blazingfast does only advertise 1 Gbps "burstable" port for their dedis so if Xeonrdp is reselling their servers it is likely that you cant max it out 24/7...

Comments

• 50TB traffic cap means it's shared.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@bugrakoc said:
    50TB traffic cap means it's shared.

I fear so :/ Currently waiting for feedback whether I can test the server risk free for (7 days) :)

• That sounds like a Worldstream dedicated server honestly.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@IThinkUFailed said:
    That sounds like a Worldstream dedicated server honestly.

What makes you think so?

• edited June 2017

@Ympker said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

What makes you think so?

Worldstream list a server with those specs for 30 euros per month (+ VAT) at https://www.worldstream.nl/custom_dedicated_servers

4th one on the list - the Dell PowerEdge T110 E3-1230v2

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bugrakoc said: 50TB traffic cap means it's shared.

I know this because I will never forget those 333TB/mo offers from GVH :-)

I guess the question is if you can truly burn your 50TB all in one glorious burst in the first week, or if you get 50/333 every day.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@raindog308 said:

I guess the question is if you can truly burn your 50TB all in one glorious burst in the first week, or if you get 50/333 every day.

Haha :P
    Ive just got a reply that DC is Evoswitch Amsterdam.

• @Ympker said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

What makes you think so?

This https://www.worldstream.nl/select_dedicated.php?id=14

And

https://www.worldstream.nl/datacenter

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bluesegabluesega Member
    edited June 2017

@Ympker said:

@raindog308 said:

Haha :P
    Ive just got a reply that DC is Evoswitch Amsterdam.

Guessed that already, I think it's the real deal, considering you can get a server with 1gbps duplex with 100TB at various LeaseWeb (Evo) resellers at about ~45-60€ per month.

@ru_tld ; seedhost.eu; etc ...

Blazingfast.io seems to be for DDoS protection purposes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bugrakoc said: 50TB traffic cap means it's shared.

Generally - no, this is not REQUIRED to be the case, however it mostly will be.

Ympker said: » DDOS Protection: 5 Gbit/s Free

Means it's Leaseweb, 100% clear.

This could be normal or volume network; volume depends on segment and might end singlehomed Cogent or Tata plus peering. Normal is pretty good usually.

From what i know LSWB is not unshared and does not claim to be, but in theory they have a lot of capacity overall.

Ympker said: remember all those threads were people are looking for unshared 1000/1000 port speed and a lot of people, but especially @wiliam saying that this would cost 200€+

Entirely, 24/7 unshared Gbit which IMPLIES (ALWAYS) unmetered costs anywhere at least 350EUR; anything less than this relies on peering or very cheap partial/local transit. The benchmark here is NOT AMSIX traffic, the benchmark is DTAG and UPC.

350EUR for a Gbit is also far from quality traffic but usable to practically anywhere (that is the area of like Nforce and similar), real 'quality' traffic in Europe still costs on high commits at least 50c/Mbit as well. 350EUR Gbit is Cogent+HE+Peering and similar.

Burstable traffic is billed 95%ile to the ISP you get it from needs to include your usage in their pattern and if you burst too much they pay the full Gbit (yea yea, not entirely true but the gist is pretty much that) - thus you pay the full Gbit, even if you want just the absolutely unshared port burstable fully with XX TB traffic/fractional Gbit.

The overall calculation is also simple - if the DC has 100Gbit, sells unshared on every server and has more than 100 servers... well, do the math....

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@Ympker said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

What makes you think so?

Worldstream list a server with those specs for 30 euros per month (+ VAT) at https://www.worldstream.nl/custom_dedicated_servers

4th one on the list - the Dell PowerEdge T110 E3-1230v2

49/30 , what kind of country got about 65% VAT...

• @qtwrk said:

The price mentioned in the OP is of what is most likely a reseller of Worldstream, so I imagine they have charged extra in order to make some markup on the server.

• and what is with yisp.nl/10g.amsterdam or 10gbps.io ? you get at both a dedi with an full unshared and unmetered gbit pipe for 350€ . and this is not just he/cogent and IX's peering

• bluesegabluesega Member
    edited June 2017

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@qtwrk said:

The price mentioned in the OP is of what is most likely a reseller of Worldstream, so I imagine they have charged extra in order to make some markup on the server.

No, but a reseller of LeaseWeb (EvoSwitch).
    And they even aren't the cheapest if you judge from traffic included. Seedhost.EU offers a similar server with less RAM but more disk and 100TB @ 1gbps for same price.

• edited June 2017

@bluesega said:

@matthewkilpatrick said:

@qtwrk said:

No, but a reseller of LeaseWeb (EvoSwitch).

I could be wrong, but based on the pricing & specs of the server there's a chance it could be Worldstream.

In the post you are referring to, I was replying to a reference to the price I mentioned in my first post in this thread, not necessarily stating that's where the servers are located.

@bluesega said:
    And they even aren't the cheapest if you judge from traffic included. Seedhost.EU offers a similar server with less RAM but more disk and 100TB @ 1gbps for same price.

I was primarily replying to the OP, with a link to Worldstream's offerings - as @IThinkUFailed pointed out prior to my comment, as based on a server with the same specs being almost 20 euros more expensive, the answer to part of the OP's questions is therefore that the server price quoted may not be a good deal if it is located in Worldstream's datacentre and not somewhere else - without any test IPs, it'd be hard to clarify where it was hosted.

• Butters said: and what is with yisp.nl/10g.amsterdam or 10gbps.io ? you get at both a dedi with an full unshared and unmetered gbit pipe for 350€ . and this is not just he/cogent and IX's peering

You do actually not get a fully dedicated port; they can claim whatever they want but it is again the simple calculation: edge bw - servers in DC = net minus, thus oversold somewhere.

I never said this MATTERS in most cases, but it's not dedicated either.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

matthewkilpatrick said: The price mentioned in the OP is of what is most likely a reseller of Worldstream, so I imagine they have charged extra in order to make some markup on the server.

No, it is a Leaseweb reseller. The 5Gbit protection are a 100% clear pointer.

https://www.leaseweb.com/cybersecurity-services/ddos-ip-protection

All our Dedicated and Bare Metal servers, as well as our Colocation services, come with our Standard IP protection for free. It will happily deal with attacks up to 5 Gbps

• edited June 2017

@William said:
    No, it is a Leaseweb reseller. The 5Gbit protection are a 100% clear pointer.

Based on Worldstream's site, they too claim to offer 5Gbps protection on all of their servers by default - https://www.worldstream.nl

The main thing making me question whether my point is valid is the datacentre the company told the OP they are in, as that's only a network routing site for Worldstream, and not where their servers are. Other than that, the specs & pricing of the server looked to me to match enough to suggest they were reselling Worldstream and making some markup (although I can't prove this and may still be wrong - at this stage it's pretty much speculating what the datacentre may be)

Edit: appears that it is LeaseWeb, however I'll leave my original post there just to highlight the reasoning I thought that it was on Worldstream.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

And the winner is... Test IP I got:
    https://www.infobyip.com/ip-82.192.84.11.html

Thanks everyone for the help! Wont go for the offer then.. Guess if anything Id buy directly from LW

Thanked by 1matthewkilpatrick
  • williewillie Member

Ympker said: "We guarantee full speed as advertised."

LOL.

• YordinYordin Member
    edited June 2017

@Butters said:
    and what is with yisp.nl/10g.amsterdam or 10gbps.io ? you get at both a dedi with an full unshared and unmetered gbit pipe for 350€ . and this is not just he/cogent and IX's peering

I can confirm the ports are not shared with other clients, so this means you can use the full speeds 24/7.

We have 700Gbps of peering capacity and 500Gbps for transit. For transit we use Level3, Telia and Cogent.

Regards,
    Yordin
    YISP B.V.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited June 2017

Memory: 16GB ECC DDR3 RAM

Storage Drive 1: 500GB HDD

HAHA its 2017, thats a shit deal

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@corbpie said:

Memory: 16GB ECC DDR3 RAM

Storage Drive 1: 500GB HDD

HAHA its 2017, thats a shit deal

You do realize that the essence as to why this deal seemed interesting to me was the potentially unlimited Gbits port and not the hw specs? Plus there are dedicated server providers around here that advertise dedis for about these specs though with premium features/setup :)

• 10gbps.io answer:

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

Yordin said: We have 700Gbps of peering capacity and 500Gbps for transit. For transit we use Level3, Telia and Cogent.

Do you have more than 500 servers?

Better think twice about your answer, because it will immediately contradict your entire statement if yes.

(No, peering and transit is not added up, it counts as one - if 500 users want to use Gbit to DTAG your peering is absolutely worthless as it will always end up over transit).

Butters said: 10gbps.io answer

Same here, do they have more servers than DC uplink capacity? (No need to wait for answer from them, i know it is yes)

Notably i am not saying this is bad, overall this will not matter for most and you should KNOW your traffic pattern anyway (and without BGP use multiple ISPs/servers and DNS to separate traffic flow by cost and quality to your end-users over them) - it is just, by mathematical definition, not unshared or dedicated.

The average user as OP will likely not have issues with eg. Leaseweb.

• @William When will you get a location in Antarctica? :)

Thanked by 1Frecyboy