Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode struggling
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode struggling

RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
edited May 2017 in Providers

Looks like everyone that called it was right, customers of VortexNode have been receiving an email about a major downscale in their global footprint,

Dear Users,

As you may have observed, we have been experiencing intermittent network issues in some locations.  We sincerely apologize for these issues. 
These locations are in places where we buy servers and network access from data-centers where we don't own and manage the hardware. This has resulted in three issues:

1.  Inability to tune the network beyond our servers.

2.  Requires us to wait on 3rd party staff not within out control for resolution for hardware, power issues.  In some cases up to 12 hours before getting responses to our tickets.

3.  We are being given in most cases a $5 - $20 price increase for all servers that will be passed on to the customer if they chose to remain on the existing servers.  

As a result of this, we will be reducing our footprint within some of our partner datacenters instead moving services into our local datacenters with our own staff, network and hardware. 
At this point, this exactly means migrating some of our services to Toronto, Canada where we have 2 datacenter locations with our own staff on site.  

The move will affect the following services:
Shared Hosting
Reseller Hosting
VPS Hosting
Some Dedicated Servers

We will be accelerating a longer term plan to move services by the 10th of June. 
Customers who agree to move and schedule a move time by May 31, 2017 will receive a 50% credit from their base hosting services.
This move must occur before June 15th.

The move will result in assigning you new IPv4's which will be sent to you in email or a ticket. We will keep you updated with the move of your service.

We will perform these moves starting on a node by node basis from May 24th  until all services are moved but we are expecting this to be end by 30th of June.

Most services in:
Atlanta
Buffalo
Chicago
New York
New Jersey
London UK

Will be moved by the end of June.

Every customer will be notified before starting the move of his services. The move will take a minimum of 48 hours after you're notified about the turn of your move.

Thank you for understanding,

VortexNode Management.
Thanked by 2Tom inthecloudblog

Comments

• KrisKris Member

Felt this coming, just got this email:

tl;dr - All of their issues are caused by their datacenter's poor support and moving things to Canada with their own DC will solve all. Too hilarious.

Our Message This Week:

Dear Users,

As you may have observed, we have been experiencing intermittent network issues in some locations. We sincerely apologize for these issues. These locations are in places where we buy servers and network access from data-centers where we don't own and manage the hardware. This has resulted in three issues:

1. Inability to tune the network beyond our servers.

2. Requires us to wait on 3rd party staff not within out control for resolution for hardware, power issues. In some cases up to 12 hours before getting responses to our tickets.

3. We are being given in most cases a $5 - $20 price increase for all servers that will be passed on to the customer if they chose to remain on the existing servers.

As a result of this, we will be reducing our footprint within some of our partner datacenters instead moving services into our local datacenters with our own staff, network and hardware. At this point, this exactly means migrating some of our services to Toronto, Canada where we have 2 datacenter locations with our own staff on site.

The move will affect the following services:

Shared Hosting

Reseller Hosting

VPS Hosting

Some Dedicated Servers

We will be accelerating a longer term plan to move services by the 10th of June. Customers who agree to move and schedule a move time by May 31, 2017 will receive a 50% credit from their base hosting services. This move must occur before June 15th.

The move will result in assigning you new IPv4's which will be sent to you in email or a ticket. We will keep you updated with the move of your service.

We will perform these moves starting on a node by node basis from May 24th until all services are moved but we are expecting this to be end by 30th of June.

Most services in:

Atlanta

Buffalo

Chicago

New York

New Jersey

London UK

Will be moved by the end of June.

Every customer will be notified before starting the move of his services. The move will take a minimum of 48 hours after you're notified about the turn of your move.

Thank you for understanding,

VortexNode Management.

Thanked by 2GenjiSwitchPls bersy
  • TomTom Member

Ouch. So much for all those "special deals" or w/e.

• TomTom Member

Unsure what one was posted first, but there's a thread about this here too

Thanked by 1Kris
  • bersybersy Member

Yoda said: Unsure what one was posted first, but there's a thread about this here too

This one is more easily readable ;)

Thanked by 2Tom Kris
  • KrisKris Member

@Yoda said:
    Unsure what one was posted first, but there's a thread about this here too

Crap, posted two minutes before me. I made sure to check before, but I just had to properly format it.

I thought the cutting off from preformatting and scrolling left to right was too much.

Thanked by 2Tom bersy
  • KrisKris Member

bersy said: This one is more easily readable ;)

D'oh. Ironically, exactly why it took me a minute or two more to post.

I had to throw in some line breaks for the services and locations, and didn't like how pre-formatting made it look. Scrolling left to right to read an email is a bit much IMO.

• YuraYura Member
    edited May 2017

Canada?! I have enough stuff in Canada already.

It all went downhill since Magnus left :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I believe the morale of the story here is 'Beware Canadian providers offering $5 dedis in the UK'.

• lurchlurch Member

Just ca me on to post this as well. Looks like the end of my $5 uk atoms.

• emmd19emmd19 Member

They did seem to be having network issues at their external datacenters - my VPS was moved from NJ to Toronto a little while ago for this very reason. The network at their Toronto DC seems to be quite good, although in any case since it's only costing me $10/year I really can't complain.

• WHTWHT Member

Who will stay if price increase for $20 month? This means let me migrate you in a location where I pay the servers cheaper.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@Nekki said:
    I believe the morale of the story here is 'Beware Canadian providers offering $5 dedis in the UK'.

Every "mostly CC brand" has that one random location that isn't inside CC to throw off people.

BlueVM had something in Switzerland, 123Sytems had some stuff in Chicago, Vortexnode has Canada and UK (though how long UK lasts is an unknown), Virmach has UK, and i'm sure if I thought a bit more i'd remember more providers with that cookie cutter setup.

CC just has ridiculously aggressive pricing, but at some point they're going to want to see a pay cheque too, not just breaking even.

Overall it sounds like he lowend experiment didn't go as well as they wanted.

Best of luck to everyone in the great white north.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Anna_Parker

@WHT said:
    Who will stay if price increase for $20 month? This means let me migrate you in a location where I pay the servers cheaper.

CC has UCC filings out the ass for all of the gear they have, I have no doubt they have some 5 year leases on at least some of the E3's they're moving.

I doubt that even owning everything that they can get to CC pricing. There's people on here on an E3 w/ RAID 10 for < $40.

Francisco

• IshaqIshaq Member

Threads merged. The comment chain might not make sense since it's from both threads.

Thanked by 3danninov Kris willie
  • I don't see Dallas on the list, (colo)crossing fingers :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

And I was just watching MST3K's Canada song last night...

Rhys said: Customers who agree to move and schedule a move time by May 31, 2017 will receive a 50% credit from their base hosting services.

I'm guessing that's a one-month thing, not that they're going to permanently cut your price in half.

• taro222taro222 Member

NY is on the list, so definitely CC is out

@taro222 said:
    NY is on the list, so definitely CC is out

Fairly sure ATL was in CC as well.

I guess the old " is more or less anyway" meme has been revived.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2017

I asked them about the 5$ Atoms, that was the response:

"We will keep the servers only until the paid period will expire.
    After that you can purchase one of our dedicated servers, depends on the offer which we will have at that time on our website. "

What the fuck? The mail said something different..

Thanked by 1Tom
  • rocketrocket Member

@Neoon said:
    I asked them about the 5$ Atoms, that was the response:

"We will keep the servers only until the paid period will expire.
    After that you can purchase one of our dedicated servers, depends on the offer which we will have at that time on our website. "

What? Did the email stated this?

So basically no renewal allowed and everybody's server gets terminated?

Pretty dirty if so..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rocket said: Pretty dirty if so..

I'm not sure I agree. They're providing the service you contracted for, and honoring it for the full term of the contract.

Do you think a hosting company is on the hook to allow you to renew an offer at the same price for the rest of your life?

• @raindog308 said:

rocket said: Pretty dirty if so..

I'm not sure I agree. They're providing the service you contracted for, and honoring it for the full term of the contract.

Do you think a hosting company is on the hook to allow you to renew an offer at the same price for the rest of your life?

^ this

• KrisKris Member

Hmm, I just paid for renewal on my quarterly Atom last week.

I'll doubt they will actually keep my server up until August 28 from the wording of the email, I guess a refund will ensue if they pull the plug before.

Recurring Amount

$15.00 USD
    Billing Cycle

Quarterly
    Next Due Date

28/08/2017

We will perform these moves starting on a node by node basis from May 24th until all services are moved but we are expecting this to be end by 30th of June.

• frak...I just renewed two of my dedis yesterday and still no email. goodluck is something I have only seen in movies.

• YuraYura Member

@Junkless said:
    frak...I just renewed two of my dedis yesterday and still no email. goodluck is something I have only seen in movies.

Mmm... let me guess.. in the movies with Jackie Chan, amiright?

Thanked by 2Francisco imok
  • Well then I spoke to the discunt Mag and he said the future seems bright. Well this isn't good.

Regardless UK > CA one fucker of a move. USE > CA is like "yeah alright" USW > CAE is like okay that's a push. UK > CA you are taking the piss

• @Yura said:

Nope.. Jackie Chan usually has terrible luck in all his movies. Hence the expression in the DP :P

Thanked by 1Yura
  • kingjjkingjj Member

Have a 10 buck yearly VPS in Alanta that ive never been able to use (cant connect, reinstalls never worked, wasnt worth the effort to chase up). Might actually get a working VPS out of this move...

• YuraYura Member

@Junkless said:

@Yura said:

Nope.. Jackie Chan usually has terrible luck in all his movies. Hence the expression in the DP :P

Yeah, those bloopers at the end. Ouch!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I am so far quite satisfied with their products. And I'll be happy if they'd move the UK atoms to Canada without changing price but I know that does not look to be the case.p

This discussion has been closed.