Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rclone banned from Amazon Drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rclone banned from Amazon Drive

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Here is is...

https://forum.rclone.org/t/rclone-has-been-banned-from-amazon-drive/2314

--

Any working alternatives?
In terms of price, Amazon is just awesome.
We've used Hubic and their system completely sucks. We'd like to stick with Amazon, though I cannot find any gui/cli client that still works... Or it's not free.

Comments

• Use your own app key for rclone

• BochiBochi Member

Well, due to the things that happened to other related tools the last few days it might have been clear, that something like that would happen...
    Let's see if they come up with some solution to this.
    And I guess I can remove "Check why the borg repo sync to ACD stopped working" from my TODO then!

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone listremotes -l
    acd:    amazon cloud drive
    gdrive: drive
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone ls acd:/ --max-depth=2
    14229253355 EtqOfzIzs73X/VyWUOeOEHd3oY1N6VZLf
      1432589 EtqOfzIzs73X/cS6GIgcC9L-Owf3HXFsj4oHNTvdOLGyicx-H-5S3lMtpQKP6X-
    44210657842 EtqOfzIzs73X/TGYC2jbVHnI29PlUbqA
    17933608968 EtqOfzIzs73X/7c-,SB9W-rsZIf7DjIeGW0
     34064074 EtqOfzIzs73X/9fkAaz9yZrL7Kcudz62qNP5KrSA
      4544562 EtqOfzIzs73X/8QbMkoftyNKGIkh4Rke9s7LiWHXM1vLDXFnJPB646qRBBcwx01
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone ls gdrive:/ --max-depth=2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Use your own app key for rclone

How so? There doesnt seem to be a way to fix this yet.
    Amazon isnt giving further app keys.

@Bochi said:
    Well, due to the things that happened to other related tools the last few days it might have been clear, that something like that would happen...
    Let's see if they come up with some solution to this.
    And I guess I can remove "Check why the borg repo sync to ACD stopped working" from my TODO then!

Expandrive and Arq seem to share the same vulnerability that got rclone revoked. Its in the same post. No idea what to do now.

@Rhys said:
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone listremotes -l
    acd: amazon cloud drive
    gdrive: drive
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone ls acd:/ --max-depth=2
    bifrost :: ~ » rclone ls gdrive:/ --max-depth=2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you got it working? How?

• MikePT said: Amazon is just awesome.

Well, apparently not.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Rhys said: bifrost

Hey! What are you doing logged into my router!?

@CFarence said:
    Reddit thread about the rclone ban

Interesting...it may not be so much that you've got terabytes, but rather that you've got unique terabytes (encrypted data) that can't be dedupe'd.

• BochiBochi Member

Anyone knows what Synology's HyperBackup is programmed like, i.e. with the key hard compiled in?
    If this "incident" spreads any further, even the Synology Backups don't works any longer...
    If only Minio would finally work (correctly) together with the S3 feature in HyperBackup, so that I can switch to any storage VPS out there.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Surprise surprise, Amazon decided that's like to change the direction towards profit. Let's see what's next, the industry might not be doomed after all ;-).

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • drizbodrizbo Member
    edited May 2017

@drizbo said:

@Clouvider said:
    Surprise surprise, Amazon decided that's like to change the direction towards profit. Let's see what's next, the industry might not be doomed after all ;-).

Have you followed what happened with acd_cli? rclone was not banned because of overusage or the kind of files users backed up there.

acd_cli users started to see other people's drives/data when mounting and could even transfer it. After acd_cli got banned people kept using it with rclone's keys.

• @drizbo said:

@drizbo said:

@Clouvider said:

Have you followed what happened with acd_cli? rclone was not banned because of overusage or the kind of files users backed up there.

acd_cli users started to see other people's drives/data when mounting and could even transfer it. After acd_cli got banned people kept using it with rclone's keys.

Wow! Link to details?

• TomTom Member
    edited May 2017

@deadbeef said:

Wow! Link to details?

I wrote up a tl;dr - (pasted from gh issues / reddit so excuse the formatting)

Writing a TL;DR for people who are unaware of what it happening / what is going on.

Note: This is all from memory as the GitHub issues were removed from the repository

What is happening?

Approx. 30 days ago a GitHub issue was open on the yadayada/acd_cli GitHub repository called "Not my file". The author detailed that their acd_cli database got corrupted. They removed it, resynced and then had someone elses (!) data. Full account access, fully accessable, etc.

@yadayada (acd_cli owner/developer) recommended the author of the issue to contact Amazon support straight away, if they did or not I cannot remember.

Not much happened for another 20-25 days or so until another guy (Saren someone I believe) commented saying he had exactly the same issue, with screenshots showing that they, indeed, had full access. It was pretty scary as they showed family photos, backups, et cetera.

The other guy eventually contacted Amazon support after a bit of chatter and they got back to him promptly saying they need more detail on the issue, how they authorized to acd_cli (whether tensile-runway appspot method, etc) and other things.

Right around this time the appspot (https://tensile-runway-92512.appspot.com/) went into "error mode" (seen HERE) detailing "400 Bad Request - Unknown client_id". Now to me, this sounds like if it's "unknown" acd_cli got revoked from Amazon's Drive API, which seems to be the case with the amount of comments coming in.

A few hours later, tensile-runway went to its "Over Quota" state (picture) which it is currently in at the time of writing this. Over Quota seems like it's under load, exceeded bandwidth quota, something like that which is indeed understandable as all the acd_cli instances will be pinging this site to try and get a new Amazon auth key, being unsuccessful.

We don't know what's happening right now, @yadayada hasn't said anything on the matter and put a scary message on the top of the README.

Hope I've got this right, as it is completely from memory. If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer, based on memory.

acd_cli now works - yadayada has a new security profile, you just gotta update it.

Thanked by 3deadbeef MikePT cassa

Yeah well. That didnt happen with rclone, and its still not working.

• hzrhzr Member

Clouvider said: Surprise surprise, Amazon decided that's like to change the direction towards profit. Let's see what's next, the industry might not be doomed after all ;-).

there is a pretty big difference between going to an all you can eat buffet and eating until you're full, and going to one with a lorry, then angrily threatening to sue if they don't let you fill it up for takeaway for the lunch special price ...

• LunarLunar Member

Pretty bummed out that this happened because I use it for off-site backups of my projects. I'm not sure that there's any better alternative in terms of space besides ACD though. I hope rclone is able to have ACD support again in the near future.

If not I might just get a full refund and move somewhere else. Any suggestions?

• LunarLunar Member

Just got my refund from Amazon. Going to move to BackBlaze B2.

@Lunar said:
    Just got my refund from Amazon. Going to move to BackBlaze B2.

Yeah looks like Ill go that way too. Or minio which is supported by rclone as well.

• OflameoOflameo Member

This is the type of innovation I like to see. This is no big deal, just aim rclone at the Utah Data Center.

• nhocconannhocconan Member
    edited May 2017

mmmh, my acd_cli stopped working as well. Finding an alternative backup solution now. Anyone using Hubic can update the speed test please? I remember the last time I used it, the network to Hubic was terrible so I cancelled it after the first year.

Edit: Seems to be 10Mbps limit as previously, and last time I could not even get close to that limit. So might need another option.

• @nhocconan said:
    mmmh, my acd_cli stopped working as well. Finding an alternative backup solution now. Anyone using Hubic can update the speed test please? I remember the last time I used it, the network to Hubic was terrible so I cancelled it after the first year.

Edit: Seems to be 10Mbps limit as previously, and last time I could not even get close to that limit. So might need another option.

I'm using OneDrive plus some HDDs in my PC. Going to look at infinit.sh and some disk Colo ideally UK. Probably at NorthHosts unless anyone else has a half decent offer

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • @GenjiSwitchPls said:

I'm using OneDrive plus some HDDs in my PC. Going to look at infinit.sh and some disk Colo ideally UK. Probably at NorthHosts unless anyone else has a half decent offer

Thanks, I've looked at OneDrive and it is nice with Office Home for 5 TB total but has a limit of 1000 GB per user. However I need more so will continue looking elsewhere.

• @nhocconan said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

Thanks, I've looked at OneDrive and it is nice with Office Home for 5 TB total but has a limit of 1000 GB per user. However I need more so will continue looking elsewhere.

I don't hoard data. I purely store the minimum to the maximum places.

• Aaaaaaannnnnnd it's banned again.

I told ya to use Google Drive.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited May 2017

Anyone got any suggestions for alternatives for backing up 16TB of data off Centos?

(Personal related stuff not work related)

@DigitalJosee said:
    Aaaaaaannnnnnd it's banned again.

I told ya to use Google Drive.

What's banned?
    rclone wasn't unbanned, they're unable to obtain a new API key, so they can't just develop it further to ACD.

I'm looking at BlackBaze B2...though minio is a solution too.

@KnownHostChrisM said:
    Anyone got any suggestions for alternatives for backing up 16TB of data off Centos?

(Personal related stuff not work related)

BlazkBaze B2 is 0.005 cents per GB, not sure if it fits your budget tho.
    Or https://www.online.net/en/c14#pricing

edited May 2017

Actually, decided to use my existing Minio instance with rclone, and all working good.
    Just wish they'd increase the port speeds... @time4vps

• MikePT said: What's banned?

Pretty sure he mentioned acd_cli.

Rclone seems can't unban.

@Aluminat said:

MikePT said: What's banned?

Pretty sure he mentioned acd_cli.

Rclone seems can't unban.

Ah, yeah. No chance.

• Well, I ended up with extending my ZXHost 3-year plan to 3T to move backup from ACD. Their promotion seems to appear at the right time :lol: Sadly SpeedyKVM does not allow extending current VM so I decided to go with ZXHost :-)