Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows open-source VPN client not under GPL?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows open-source VPN client not under GPL?

I am looking for a Windows open-source VPN client which is not licensed under GPL. I want to bundle it as part of a bigger product which I would rather not open-source. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Since around Windows Vista, there's already a VPN feature built in. If you're bothered by the GPL, but are too lazy to dredge through the MIT/BSD/etc licensed products, you probably shouldn't be bothering with software.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Badcode is the only reason for non-opensource. Good product and excellent service = no problem. Bad service = somone will copy you and make a better service (Regardless of opensource)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

elwebmaster said: Windows

elwebmaster said: open-source

elwebmaster said: bigger product which I would rather not open-source

• WSSWSS Member

@pbgben said:
    Badcode is the only reason for non-opensource. Good product and excellent service = no problem. Bad service = somone will copy you and make a better service (Regardless of opensource)

It could also be your standard "Pump-n-Dump" shitsoft like they had back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Common guys, the VPN is like 5% of the features in the software we are building. It's not about someone copying us, it's just that it doesn't make sense to release the code of a client specific to our platform. The code of the client would be pretty useless without the server.

• WSSWSS Member

Called it.

• @WSS said:
    Called it.

Oh god no no no no no no no no no!!!!!

• @pbgben said:
    Badcode is the only reason for non-opensource.

Big lol.

• ???

Why are you bundling a VPN client instead of just encrypting the communications channels with TLS, or whatever? What problem are you trying to solve?

This just seems like really bad idea. Lots of FOSS VPN clients rely on tun or tap interfaces which require admin privs to install, and then VPNs mess with the routing table of the machine.

Is your product going to be a security product that has a VPN built? If so, spend some time reading the Windows APIs/ABIs for configuring the builtin VPN client.

Thanked by 1WSS