Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your backup solution for iPhone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your backup solution for iPhone?

TheZealousTheZealous Member
edited April 2017 in General

So my wife have a 64GB iPhone and she max out the space on there. I am looking for a solution to backup her phone automatically and free up some space on her phone. I don't want to use iCloud, OneDrive or Dropbox because it is expensive (I am looking for a solution for the whole family with 8 iphones total). Also if I choose to use iCloud, Onedrive, or Dropbox it will mirror the backup videos/pictures to the cloud, but if i delete a picture from the local iPhone storage, then it will also delete it from cloud.... Anyone know of a good product(s) that can allow me to backup and free up some space over the internet? I am looking at Owncloud and thought... maybe I can host a server at home or datacenter and allow iphones to backup videos/pictures to that server :)

Any suggestion?

Comments

• I use NextCloud (Owncloud fork, lots of politics) and it works brilliantly the new iOS client supports auto upload too I believe.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

The plex app can do photo and video backup to your plex server.

• WSSWSS Member

Not owning one.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • On my home NAS I run Plex for all media and WebDAV for documents. I don't even bother to backup my devices because my stuff is hosted there (and I do back that up).

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Resilio (BitTorrent Sync) can do the photo/video backup. It'll backup to any machines that are part of the share. So you could sync photos to your local machines, home server, or offsite on a VPS you installed the client on.

• I'm using iCloud for my iPhone backup.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

iCloud.

TheZealous said: Also if I choose to use iCloud, Onedrive, or Dropbox it will mirror the backup videos/pictures to the cloud, but if i delete a picture from the local iPhone storage, then it will also delete it from cloud

Doesn't quite work that way with iCloud. If you have the photos enabled in iCloud then your Photos app is essentially a cached thumbnail list for what's on iCloud, and things you've viewed recently are stored locally for a time. So you just don't delete photos from your phone, it clears the space they use on it's own.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • my solution is, to use an Android

ur welcome.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @dedicados said:
    my solution is, to use an Android

ur welcome.

The difference is, I have an iPhone. It has ONE special feature no Android device has - ICLLOUDD. AT LEAST WE CAN TRANSFER DATA BETWEEN DEVICES, UNLIKE ANDROID'S SAD EXCUSE OF A BACKUP SOLUTION.

Screw Android!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!