Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network Algorithm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network Algorithm

Has anyone created an algorithm that allows your network to ping multiple pops and send your clients traffic to the lowest latency something like internap has on shared network? I know its possible I'm possibly looking for a developer to implement something like this within my network I have a large proposed budget for the project, implementation and maintenance. If anyone can refer me to someone that they have worked with in the past it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Would i be wrong in assuming something like AnyCast system?

• busbrbusbr Member

@piohost said:
    Would i be wrong in assuming something like AnyCast system?

Think OP wants to influence outbound routing, and BGP is not latency-aware.

• @busbr said:

@piohost said:

Think OP wants to influence outbound routing, and BGP is not latency-aware.

Ohh I get it yes, iv not heard of such a thing my self but :)

• ScammerProutScammerProut Member
    edited March 2017

@piohost said:

I fully understand the concept that I am trying to receive but for explaining exactly how it works id need to consult with the developer. The basics of what I'm trying to achieve is have clients that are running on my shared network bgp to go through the lowest latency location. The algorithm should constantly ping pops and constantly route client to lowest latency location.

• @KeKe said:

@piohost said:

I fully understand the concept that I am trying to receive but for explaining exactly how it works id need to consult with the developer. The basics of what I'm trying to achieve is have clients that are running on my shared network bgp to go through the lowest latency location. The algorithm should constantly ping pops and constantly route client to lowest latency location.

This I understand now sorry I miss read what you needed, this wpuld be something I beleive would actually be benificial to many people

Thanked by 1ScammerProut
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Many did, unfortunately they think they are unicorns and charge per Mbps and in excess of what you per pay Mbps of transit.

Edit: Alex was quicker. Noction included.

They just don't realise that transit charges went down since 100GE became common. Let's see how long will it take them to take a grasp on it ;-).

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2017

Amazon Route53 does this. You can do latency-based or geographic-based DNS rules

You'd still need servers in multiple places to host the content, but Amazon would take care of DNS and routing customers to whatever server

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@KeKe said:

@piohost said:

If I may, we did tests and ICMP is an unrealisable metric as many eyeballs QoS it. You need to rely on pinging tcp responses on discovered hosts and ports.

• AgapeAgape Member

KeKe said: Has anyone created an algorithm that allows your network to ping multiple pops and send your clients traffic to the lowest latency something like internap has on shared network? I know its possible I'm possibly looking for a developer to implement something like this within my network I have a large proposed budget for the project, implementation and maintenance. If anyone can refer me to someone that they have worked with in the past it would be greatly appreciated.

The kind of BGP optimization you are talking about is a pretty big undertaking. You can hire a developer to do some of it in house, but I doubt you would save that much.

Here at Noction we release new IRP version every 3 months on average, adding new features to our product, implementing it and supporting 24/7 in all kind of networks. Feel free to give us a call.

Clouvider said: Many did, unfortunately they think they are unicorns and charge per Mbps and in excess of what you per pay Mbps of transit.
    Edit: Alex was quicker. Noction included.

Noction pricing scales with consumption, just like the tariffs of transit providers do.
    Btw, there is a totally free version of our software - Noction IRP Lite.