Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
DMCA email with 300 USD bill?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

DMCA email with 300 USD bill?

My friend is hosting his rtorrent/plex dedi on a certain provider and he got a DMCA yesterday.

The host is saying that they will suspend him if the DMCA is not dealt with in 48 hours.

Is the deletion of the content enough or do they expect him to pay that 300 USD bill too? Since theres tons of hosts here I figured someone could shed some light. The mail was from https://rightsenforcement.com

Comments

• I'm not 100% convinced a DMCA can enforce 'a bill' and that if it does have some sort of payment request that would surely have to go through a court to be paid.

Ex-Sys Admin

• I doubt he intends to pay that.. in such case will the host view the situation "unresolved" rather than look whetever or not the file in question has been removed.

• First - is the host or the friend in the US? If not, the DMCA is rubbish.

Second - it'll be a invoice designed to look big and scary. Remove the files and reject the invoice saying they didn't do anything and believe it is in error.

Third - don't do illegal things, and this won't happen again :)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2017

Both of them are in US.

Edit: case closed. Oneprovider marked it as resolved

• MalinMalin Member

Looks like scam to me tbh. When you receive emails asking for money in 99% of the cases it's scam, regardless if it's a complaint or a "search engine pack renewal".

Thanked by 1netomx
  • These are more or less scams

Stop sharing the infringing file, do not respond to the email (only communicate directly with your provider, if you must make contact with someone), and definitely do not pay

Thanked by 1netomx

Contractually bound by a verbal non-disclosure agreement

• cociucociu Member, Provider

stefeman said: him to pay that 300 USD bill too?

nice business

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
    Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

• These people are authorized by content creators to enforce copyright/trademark. Those emails will get somebody's parents or grandparents to pay the fine because the email looks scary.

How to clean up a questionable reputation: throw the kids some BF/CM offers.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Stop pirating. Start buying. Digital content is cheap nowadays.

Thanked by 2Corey AnthonySmith
  • YuraYura Member

@Hxxx said:

Sony, please log in under your real account.

• HxxxHxxx Member

LoL . Sorry I'm not that type of cunt son.

@Yura said:

@Hxxx said:

• YuraYura Member

@Hxxx said:
    LoL . Sorry I'm not that type of cunt son.

@Yura said:

@Hxxx said:

Bummer :(

• Hxxx said: LoL . Sorry I'm not that type of cunt son.

No, you're a different sort.

Digital content is stratospherically expensive.

Thanked by 2Basil Hxxx

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

• HxxxHxxx Member

What makes you think that if you cant afford it, you have the right to it?

@raindog308 said:

Hxxx said: LoL . Sorry I'm not that type of cunt son.

No, you're a different sort.

Digital content is stratospherically expensive.

Thanked by 1southy
  • @Hxxx said:
    What makes you think that if you cant afford it, you have the right to it?

With all the tax breaks given to the film industry I feel I've already paid for a sizeable proportion of it...

• HxxxHxxx Member

That's a fair point. @alaningus

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

@Hxxx said:
    That's a fair point. @alaningus

Shit me a brick of lasagna, I thought this was going to be a troll fest. Damn popcorn needs a new home :/

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • lazytlazyt Member

I'll have to admit to sending admin invoices to some of the more trolling automated DMCA thugs.

Have I mentioned how much I hate auto correct recently?

• vfusevfuse Member, Provider

You should send an invoice back for $400 ;)

NIXStats monitoring Web, Server(Linux, Windows - $6.95/m), Logging (Free!) and Blacklists (start at 512 for $3.75/m) - Uptime Report - API Docs

• WSSWSS Member

I still want my money back from General Motors.. not only for my subsidies for their shitty bailout, but their awful fucking battery driven quadcycles.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• alaningusalaningus Member
    edited March 2017

Also, if all the tax avoiding corporations paid their dues we'd all be better off and might feel less inclined to stream/download/etc

Disney, Sony, BT, EA, Netflix, Rovy, Spotify...fucking hypocrites.

• @varunchopra said:

Scroll up a bit.

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
    Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited March 2017

Call them, if they speak a bad english do not pay.
    Make a research first.

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

@WHT said:
    Call them, if they speak a bad english do not pay.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • $300 if labelled as a hosting fine is reasonable. DCMA fines are served by government and require you to work with a lawyer. Many people pretend or extort funds from people with fake fees and fines.

• Also $300 is a bit short of the fine expected... like 3 zeros short.

• @teamacc said:

@varunchopra said:

Scroll up a bit.

Oh, damn.

I had scrolled up before posting but I stopped when I reached the semi-nude gamer girl.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @Hxxx said:

If it is even legally available in your country to buy, not everyone gets that luxury.

Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

• WSSWSS Member

@Setsura said:

@Hxxx said:

If it is even legally available in your country to buy, not everyone gets that luxury.

As early as 20 years ago, people understood "You don't have the right to something just because you want it."

Thanked by 1Hxxx

• @WSS said:

@Setsura said:

@Hxxx said:

As early as 20 years ago, people understood "You don't have the right to something just because you want it."

You should have told Trump that before he announced his decision to run for President.

• WSSWSS Member

@cheapwebdev said:

@WSS said:

@Setsura said:

@Hxxx said:

You should have told Trump that before he announced his decision to run for President.

• @WSS said:

@Setsura said:

@Hxxx said:

Most of human history disagrees, and precedent is everything right?

• YuraYura Member

@Setsura said:

@WSS said:

@Setsura said:

@Hxxx said:

Most of human history disagrees, and precedent is everything right?

Explain

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Yura said:
    Explain

┐(´~`;)┌

• YuraYura Member

@Setsura said:

@Yura said:
    Explain

┐(´~`;)┌

Dismissed.

• WSSWSS Member

Dammit, @Yura- if you're going to take my zingers away when I'm off actually working- I'm.. I'm gonna have to quit my job.

Thanked by 1Yura

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said:
    Dammit, @Yura- if you're going to take my zingers away when I'm off actually working- I'm.. I'm gonna have to quit my job.

You know, @WSS, I'm always here to cover your back, moving like a cheetah, like a drama seeking cheetah.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

You know, @WSS, I'm always here to cover your back, moving like a cheetah, like a drama seeking cheetah.

Causing drama isn't really seeking it though? Not in the way you said it anyway.

Edit: I decided not to say anything back originally since I didn't really want humour you, but since I'm here I guess you won after all.

• YuraYura Member

@Setsura said:

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

Causing drama isn't really seeking it though? Not in the way you said it anyway.

I really dislike to explain jokes, but making an exception now: this was a movie joke addressed specifically to @WSS and other fans of the show.

Edit: I decided not to say anything back originally since I didn't really want humour you, but since I'm here I guess you won after all.

Yes.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Yura said:
    I really dislike to explain jokes, but making an exception now: this was a movie joke addressed specifically to @WSS and other fans of the show.

I don't really do humour.

@Yura said:
    Yes.

Since that is the case, I'll go back to what I said to WSS, it was mostly an asinine remark to another. Unless he actually believes what he said, in which case I don't even know.

Edit: Also if you want to pick at what I said more beyond the scope of the value of digital media, tag me into the cest pit or something, we derailed this thread enough.