Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
IS dedicated IP needed for SSL ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

IS dedicated IP needed for SSL ?

I do n't know so I need expert suggestion.

Thanks

Comments

  • maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

  • @layfon said:
    maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

    share the port :D

    thanked by nekki sister !

  • charliecharlie Member, Provider

    Basically not need, expect if your visitors using Internet Explorer on Windows XP.

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    charlie said: Basically not need, expect if your visitors using Internet Explorer on Windows XP.

    And if they are, they have bigger problems than that.

    Clouvider Limited - Leading Hosting & Connectivity Partner || Dedicated Server Sale from £39/m - Our Latest LET Offer

    Cloud Web Hosting | SSD & SAS HA OnApp VPS | US, UK, NL & DE Dedicated Servers | Network Services | Colocation | Managed Services

  • That purely depends on your choice , if you host your website in a shared server , the shared ip is enough to get ssl . Also if it is a cpanel server , most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt.

    Besides , it good to have a dedicated ip for your domain and buy ssl for that ip address, being unique.

    HostGliders:::Your Best Hosting partner

  • Depend on. In CentOS 5, SNI not work. Possible their openssl version.

    ..:: Kloxo-MR - hosting and forum ::..

  • No, but technically you can have SSL for dedicated IP.

  • layfonlayfon Member
    edited February 2017

    @maldovia said:

    layfon said:
    maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

    share the port :D

    I know share the port. I just thought it was some NAT vps and providers don't conveniently give you port 443. But it makes sense if it's just some home router.

    Anyway, the answer is no.

  • vpsrusvpsrus Member, Provider

    Yes, you can CWP has a good information in how to do it at http://forum.centos-webpanel.com/ssl/how-to-install-multiple-ssl-certificates-on-shared-ip/

  • As aready mentioned several times: Not anymore with SNI- however, if you have any legacy folks, they won't be able to use it. You also don't want to overload an IP with SSL certificates, because it can get annoying to keep them all handled properly.

    If you have spare IPs, I'd still consider using them to help keep things clean. If not, most recent browsers will work just fine.

  • @layfon said:

    @maldovia said:

    layfon said:
    maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

    share the port :D

    I know share the port. I just thought it was some NAT vps and providers don't conveniently give you port 443. But it makes sense if it's just some home router.

    Anyway, the answer is no.

    They are not for general purpose web hosting.

    Thanked by 1layfon
  • HostGliders said: most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt

    Cloudflare is another place you can get free ssl cert, even for 15 years, instead of letsencrypt 90 days.

    What are you hashtags?

  • Earlier it dedicated IP was required to install SSL Certificate for your website but now this hurdle has been slowed with the help of SNI (Server Name Indication). This article will help you understand profoundly.

    SSL certificates start from $4.95/yr. at CheapSSLShop

  • @zilch said:

    HostGliders said: most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt

    Cloudflare is another place you can get free ssl cert, even for 15 years, instead of letsencrypt 90 days.

    Yeah, if you like for someone to MITM you

    Thanked by 2Yura lazyt
Sign In or Register to comment.