Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IS dedicated IP needed for SSL ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IS dedicated IP needed for SSL ?

I do n't know so I need expert suggestion.

Thanks

Comments

• maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

• @layfon said:
    maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

share the port :D

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Basically not need, expect if your visitors using Internet Explorer on Windows XP.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

charlie said: Basically not need, expect if your visitors using Internet Explorer on Windows XP.

And if they are, they have bigger problems than that.

• That purely depends on your choice , if you host your website in a shared server , the shared ip is enough to get ssl . Also if it is a cpanel server , most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt.

Besides , it good to have a dedicated ip for your domain and buy ssl for that ip address, being unique.

• Depend on. In CentOS 5, SNI not work. Possible their openssl version.

• No, but technically you can have SSL for dedicated IP.

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited February 2017

@maldovia said:

layfon said:
    maybe not, but how can you host ssl with shared ip address, whose port 443 may not be yours?

I know share the port. I just thought it was some NAT vps and providers don't conveniently give you port 443. But it makes sense if it's just some home router.

Anyway, the answer is no.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

Yes, you can CWP has a good information in how to do it at http://forum.centos-webpanel.com/ssl/how-to-install-multiple-ssl-certificates-on-shared-ip/

• As aready mentioned several times: Not anymore with SNI- however, if you have any legacy folks, they won't be able to use it. You also don't want to overload an IP with SSL certificates, because it can get annoying to keep them all handled properly.

If you have spare IPs, I'd still consider using them to help keep things clean. If not, most recent browsers will work just fine.

• @layfon said:

@maldovia said:

layfon said:

I know share the port. I just thought it was some NAT vps and providers don't conveniently give you port 443. But it makes sense if it's just some home router.

Anyway, the answer is no.

They are not for general purpose web hosting.

Thanked by 1layfon
  • HostGliders said: most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt

Cloudflare is another place you can get free ssl cert, even for 15 years, instead of letsencrypt 90 days.

• Earlier it dedicated IP was required to install SSL Certificate for your website but now this hurdle has been slowed with the help of SNI (Server Name Indication). This article will help you understand profoundly.

• @zilch said:

HostGliders said: most probably you get a free ssl by Lets encrypt

Cloudflare is another place you can get free ssl cert, even for 15 years, instead of letsencrypt 90 days.

Yeah, if you like for someone to MITM you

Thanked by 2Yura lazyt