Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free VPS Server Hosting...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free VPS Server Hosting...

ljsealsljseals Member
edited February 2017 in General

From https://twitter.com/freeserverus, they now have limited openings for free vps. It is very limited, only 1% CPU, 1Mbps speed. But free is free, and you get a static ipv4 for free.

Direct Link: Shopping Cart - Sentris Network LLC https://www.sentris.net/billing/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Test IP: 208.76.152.210
Centos ONLY.
3GB of space,
128MB of RAM,
25GB of bandwidth per month,
1Mbps speed limit on 100Mbps port,
1 Static IPv4

For no/higher limit, their Linux vps is only $5.75/3YR - http://freeserver.us/plans/

For others plans, you can use coupon: 6EZ6NAHV06 for 50% off when pay 3-yr

Also please note that I am not affiliated or connected with this company. Actually passed on the offer but I got it here.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9745384-free-vps-ac-or-5-75-3yr

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2017

link for this offer: https://www.sentris.net/billing/cart.php?gid=18

and select final option

Note: it takes up to 2 days to deploy.

• Cheapest idle box I've ever seen!

• what can we use this for ? any idea

• It's fairly weak, but if you give them a twitter/fb follow, they'll up it to 256mb/5g. I can see using it as a shitty proxy for awhile or something on very light duty.

The CentOS 6 installation is outright broken- the first thing you'll have to do is rebuild it, because you can't login without setting up your ssh root key, or reinstalling the damn thing.

Every operating system offered is ExploitMePLZ old. It's not really worth the time involved to get it up to date and functional, unless your time is also free.

• @wss if you want something to play with ill hook you up ;)

• Is this another ipv4 hoarding scheme? I thought that was a 2015-16 thing.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @piohost said:
    @wss if you want something to play with ill hook you up ;)

Oooh. Well, losing my last VN dedi has made me a bit sad. What've you got? :D

• @wss ill pm you as i don't want to be spammed aha

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @piohost Yaaay! :D Hope it has nothing to do with sourlemon.party (which is still available via PorkBun for $7/10 years)

• @wss no comment,

Id would be happy to let people have such little space if they really needed it, however, there is no way to monitor those that would ruin it for everyone else, excepts, of course, blocking the typical ports etc. It's nice to see companies offering such things like this.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I am thinking to order one of their LXC vps just to put another green dot on my observium map. Anyone knows if their upgrade offer by twitter posting is still active?

• They're sending it in their email when your system is provisioned, but you also need to like them on FaceBook. Also, they expect you to join and be helpful on their forum- or they'll revoke your account.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Their forum is broken. ;D I don't even have a "New topic" button to post, neither can reply to any topic. How is the free one performance?

• Not worth it(tm).

Thanked by 1default
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ljseals said: Centos ONLY.

ljseals said: 128MB of RAM

Thanked by 3dimon222 default imok
  • No longer free, coupon used up.

Too bad, would have been nice to play with it, since my DO and Virmach machines are busy.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

First commands to do on a CentOS 6 install from a really old template,

yum update

then

yum upgrade

then reboot, verify that everything is 100% up to date, it doesn't hurt to run yum update again to verify and you should be good and secure as a fresh 6.8 install.

This will update all your packages, repos, kernel, etc to the latest, secure and currently supported version.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

There's no way I could in my head offer free vpss because the first thing people would do is use them as "shell booters" (udp DoS packet flood scripts) or use them for sending spam email, etc. In fact in many of the tutorials on how to do things like that they make reference to free VPS providers.

I was once talking with a video game server owner once who analyzed his DDoS traffic and interestingly enough a lot of it came from AmazonAWS

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited February 2017

VPS is broken. Can't even run yum... It should be noted that they require you to be active at their forums in order to keep the server. You must like them on fb and follow on Twitter - they say otherwise not sure your server will last. It also seems reinstallation of server is chargeable and will cost some credits which you can earn by making posts (or paying). I came to know all that info only AFTER ordering and getting approved so it lacks transparency.

I found out about them on another board yesterday. So far I'm not very impressed.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @farsighter said:
    VPS is broken. Can't even run yum... It should be noted that they require you to be active at their forums in order to keep the server. You must like them on fb and follow on Twitter - otherwise not sure your server will last. It also seems reinstallation of server is chargeable and will cost some credits which you can earn by making posts (or paying). I got to know all that info only AFTER ordering and getting approved so it lacks transparency.

I found out about them on another board yesterday. So far I'm not very impressed.

Screw all that messing about.

I think it's better to pay Virmach/Subnetlabs $3/yr for a 256mb vps with more choice of OS' and free re-install.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

freevps.us is a more legitimate source for free VPSes.

• @farsighter said:

VPS is broken. Can't even run yum... It should be noted that they require you to be active at their forums in order to keep the server. You must like them on fb and follow on Twitter - they say otherwise not sure your server will last. It also seems reinstallation of server is chargeable and will cost some credits which you can earn by making posts (or paying). I came to know all that info only AFTER ordering and getting approved so it lacks transparency.

Yep. Pretty much decided that it isn't even worth being free. I turned mine off and doubt I'll ever go back.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • Radi said: Their forum is broken. ;D I don't even have a "New topic" button to post, neither can reply to any topic.

Try logging in, it may just work for you ;)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2017

I managed to create an usage for it. I did not manage to get it on full RAM load, showing RAM for OpenVZ could be somewhat oversold. CPU is really really slow.

Initial OS requested (CentOS 6) did not work, exclamation marks everywhere in resources of HyperVM 2.0, showing the VPS could not boot with a fresh install.

I reinstalled to Debian 6 minimal x64 (did not wish to try every CentOS option) and this worked. I tried to upgrade Debian 2 times on different distributions (7 and 8) and that proved to be a huge mistake... again exclamation marks, VPS did not boot.

I reinstalled and left it with Debian 6 minimal (default instalation), and put an IRC bot on it (precompiled on a different machine). ZNC also works (precompiled on different machine).

Note: Yes, I regret the time spent, but I just wanted to get it to do something, anything... in my personal ego I did not wish to let it go.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited February 2017

@default said:

I reinstalled and left it with Debian 6 minimal (default instalation), and put an IRC bot on it (precompiled on a different machine). ZNC also works (precompiled on different machine).

That's an idea. I wanted to try other distributions and play with that more yesterday but wasn't sure if they ban for switching from Centos or for reinstallation without payment.

I wonder if asking that at their forum will also get me enough credits for reinstallation at same time, in case they agree :P haha

Machine is broken but too bad we're not even allowed to contact support directly.
    So far I could only use it as an SSH tunnel.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Anyone here have one of my (VPSBiT) VPSes?

• @randvegeta said:

I do @randvegeta. Your Xen VPS is my anchor for development & experiments and I'm happy with it.

• I do have a vpsbit vps and realy happy with it.

• SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited February 2017

@randvegeta said:

Yeah I have one. Nice box for testing. Only once encounteted some issues trying to rebuild the OS but besides that no issues. Fairly good considering it being free.