Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

What are RDP services?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

What are RDP services?

varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited February 2017 in General

Afaik, RDP is just a protocol somewhat like SSH. But I'm seeing hosting providers "sell RDPs". What exactly are they doing?

Comments

• Remote Desktop Protocol. Just like your own desktop, but then "Remote" on a server.

• Most RDP is Windows servers with Remote Desktop enabled.

Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

• varunchopravarunchopra Member
      edited February 2017

@BlazeMuis said:
      Remote Desktop Protocol. Just like your own desktop, but then "Remote" on a server.

What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

• varunchopra said: What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

Because not everyone is sophisticated to manage their own server. With RDP services, you're getting an "account", not a dedicated server. I think if you pay enough you'll get a server all to yourself, but the idea is that you can just login and Handbrake your tentacle hentai without having to worry about being a sysadmin.

Thanked by 1Francisco

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• @raindog308 said:

varunchopra said: What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

Because not everyone is sophisticated to manage their own server. With RDP services, you're getting an "account", not a dedicated server. I think if you pay enough you'll get a server all to yourself, but the idea is that you can just login and Handbrake your tentacle hentai without having to worry about being a sysadmin.

Makes sense. How are the resources divided? There's a plan here that gives 100 GB space. Is the 100 gigs dedicated to one user?

• mikhomikho Member, Provider

@varunchopra said:

@raindog308 said:

varunchopra said: What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

Makes sense. How are the resources divided? There's a plan here that gives 100 GB space. Is the 100 gigs dedicated to one user?

I would say it's shared among the users on the server.
      Since it also says 32 GB Ram, no way that 12 users get those dedicated resources for €7/month

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage
    • Yeah, I agree with @mikho - it's not really that different than a VPS. You should get that 100GB all to yourself, but you'll share CPU and IOPs. I'd inquire about RAM - it's not realistic that you could use 32GB 24x7.

If you can, let us know :-)

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• mikhomikho Member, Provider

On the other hand, if it's a 1,5 TB in the server it would be possible with only 12 users per server.

The RAM is absolutly shared.

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage
    • @raindog308 said:
      Yeah, I agree with @mikho - it's not really that different than a VPS. You should get that 100GB all to yourself, but you'll share CPU and IOPs. I'd inquire about RAM - it's not realistic that you could use 32GB 24x7.

If you can, let us know :-)

The ram is also shared. The only dedicated resource with those RDP services is the HDD space.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Provider

Not easy to fine a Really Dependable Prostitute these days, their services are expensive compared to standard night ladies... Nekki may be able to help you find one if you are from the midlands.

• Yeah, it seems like another desktop as a service kinda thing like ovh's cloud desktop except instead of using VMWare they're just using MS RDP