Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are RDP services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are RDP services?

varunchopravarunchopra Member
edited February 2017 in General

Afaik, RDP is just a protocol somewhat like SSH. But I'm seeing hosting providers "sell RDPs". What exactly are they doing?

Comments

• Remote Desktop Protocol. Just like your own desktop, but then "Remote" on a server.

• Most RDP is Windows servers with Remote Desktop enabled.

• varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited February 2017

@BlazeMuis said:
    Remote Desktop Protocol. Just like your own desktop, but then "Remote" on a server.

What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

varunchopra said: What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

Because not everyone is sophisticated to manage their own server. With RDP services, you're getting an "account", not a dedicated server. I think if you pay enough you'll get a server all to yourself, but the idea is that you can just login and Handbrake your tentacle hentai without having to worry about being a sysadmin.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @raindog308 said:

varunchopra said: What's the difference between an RDP and a dedi then? Why call a server a protocol?

Because not everyone is sophisticated to manage their own server. With RDP services, you're getting an "account", not a dedicated server. I think if you pay enough you'll get a server all to yourself, but the idea is that you can just login and Handbrake your tentacle hentai without having to worry about being a sysadmin.

Makes sense. How are the resources divided? There's a plan here that gives 100 GB space. Is the 100 gigs dedicated to one user?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@varunchopra said:

@raindog308 said:

Makes sense. How are the resources divided? There's a plan here that gives 100 GB space. Is the 100 gigs dedicated to one user?

I would say it's shared among the users on the server.
    Since it also says 32 GB Ram, no way that 12 users get those dedicated resources for €7/month

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yeah, I agree with @mikho - it's not really that different than a VPS. You should get that 100GB all to yourself, but you'll share CPU and IOPs. I'd inquire about RAM - it's not realistic that you could use 32GB 24x7.

If you can, let us know :-)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

On the other hand, if it's a 1,5 TB in the server it would be possible with only 12 users per server.

The RAM is absolutly shared.

• @raindog308 said:
    Yeah, I agree with @mikho - it's not really that different than a VPS. You should get that 100GB all to yourself, but you'll share CPU and IOPs. I'd inquire about RAM - it's not realistic that you could use 32GB 24x7.

If you can, let us know :-)

The ram is also shared. The only dedicated resource with those RDP services is the HDD space.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Not easy to fine a Really Dependable Prostitute these days, their services are expensive compared to standard night ladies... Nekki may be able to help you find one if you are from the midlands.

• Yeah, it seems like another desktop as a service kinda thing like ovh's cloud desktop except instead of using VMWare they're just using MS RDP