Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

OVH IPs - what's the benefit of IPs in other countries?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

OVH IPs - what's the benefit of IPs in other countries?

When you order extra IPs on OVH servers you get a list of different countries. What is the benefit of choosing another country that the server is located in?

If I etc choose Germany, and my server is in France, and I then use a Germany IP on a VM. Will the IP location of the VM be in Germany?

Kenneth Myhre
    WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

Comments

• The geolocation of the ip will be Germany yes, however, some databases are slow to pick up on the geolocation so that always sucks

Thanked by 1myhken

[ www.PioHost.co.uk ] - [ Shared, VPS & Dedicated Server Hosting - UK ]

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
      edited February 2017

@piohost said:
      The geolocation of the ip will be Germany yes, however, some databases are slow to pick up on the geolocation so that always sucks

Google's is known to be inaccurate too, for example it thinks huge portions of OVH's IP blocks in BHS, GRA, etc are in Brazil. I have reported this multiple times on the same and different IPs over the past few months but nothing changed, so it basically made VPN use unusable as instead of getting the Canada or America google page for a Canada ARIN IP address it showed Brazil. I went on http://iplocation.net/ and every single one said Montreal, Quebec Canada so idk why their geolocation is screwed up like that, but at least for everything else except Google it seems to work fine.

Thanked by 1myhken
    • quadhostquadhost Member, Provider

What is the benefit of choosing another country that the server is located in?

For some proxies etc. - It will be geolocated yes, but from memory it doesn't alter routing to go via that country etc. so depending why you are wanting the geolocated IP it may not appear to be from that country if they use other systems to track the origin.

Thanked by 1myhken

Get our US, UK or BG 512mb KVM VPS w/ 2 vCPU's, 512mb RAM, 20GB Storage, 750G bandwidth, 1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6 for only £2/m!
      Monthly payment cycle, discounted upto a year, savings applied at checkout stage. Additional IPv4's available for £0.50 per month!

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

Only the ripe.net shows correct OVH GEO IPv4 location

Thanked by 1myhken
      VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
      Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
    • myhken said: What is the benefit

Could be useful for SEO, though I'm not sure how accurate this claim is, google webmaster tools or a tld of the country you want to focus on is probably more effective.

Thanked by 1myhken

don't buy what you don't need

• datanoise said: Could be useful for SEO

No it's not although some "SEO experts" will tell you otherwise.

Thanked by 3datanoise WSS myhken

How to clean up a questionable reputation: throw the kids some BF/CM offers.

• I'm a CEO expert. I deal with people too stupid to breathe all of the time!

Thanked by 1myhken

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.