Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH IPs - what's the benefit of IPs in other countries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH IPs - what's the benefit of IPs in other countries?

When you order extra IPs on OVH servers you get a list of different countries. What is the benefit of choosing another country that the server is located in?

If I etc choose Germany, and my server is in France, and I then use a Germany IP on a VM. Will the IP location of the VM be in Germany?

Comments

• The geolocation of the ip will be Germany yes, however, some databases are slow to pick up on the geolocation so that always sucks

Thanked by 1myhken
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

@piohost said:
    The geolocation of the ip will be Germany yes, however, some databases are slow to pick up on the geolocation so that always sucks

Google's is known to be inaccurate too, for example it thinks huge portions of OVH's IP blocks in BHS, GRA, etc are in Brazil. I have reported this multiple times on the same and different IPs over the past few months but nothing changed, so it basically made VPN use unusable as instead of getting the Canada or America google page for a Canada ARIN IP address it showed Brazil. I went on http://iplocation.net/ and every single one said Montreal, Quebec Canada so idk why their geolocation is screwed up like that, but at least for everything else except Google it seems to work fine.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • What is the benefit of choosing another country that the server is located in?

For some proxies etc. - It will be geolocated yes, but from memory it doesn't alter routing to go via that country etc. so depending why you are wanting the geolocated IP it may not appear to be from that country if they use other systems to track the origin.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Only the ripe.net shows correct OVH GEO IPv4 location

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhken said: What is the benefit

Could be useful for SEO, though I'm not sure how accurate this claim is, google webmaster tools or a tld of the country you want to focus on is probably more effective.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • datanoise said: Could be useful for SEO

No it's not although some "SEO experts" will tell you otherwise.

Thanked by 3datanoise WSS myhken
  • I'm a CEO expert. I deal with people too stupid to breathe all of the time!

Thanked by 1myhken