Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kimsufi Montreal: Does anyone know when official prices for the dedis would be available?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

kimsufi Montreal: Does anyone know when official prices for the dedis would be available?

96mb96mb Member
edited June 2012 in General

I have a Kimsufi Montreal dedi for testing during their alpha and beta tests and nothing seems to go wrong besides occasional reboots, which I am pretty happy with. I think it was mentioned that the testing period will end probably this month or next so I am just wondering if anyone has any idea how much it would cost afterwards. If the price is about the same as how much they are charging in France, I'll definitely keep the toy.

Comments

• JTRJTR Member

Same price, the entire Kimsufi line should be updated when they release, the release date was in August last time I checked.

• Just my guess would be the same as the EU pricing, but I really have no idea.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PytoHost said: Just my guess would be the same as the EU pricing, but I really have no idea.

I don't think so...

They don't benefit from the same peering policies that France has.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

Maybe the signs I'm noticing aren't actually an indicator of what I'm making them to be, but I'm inclined to be of the uneducated belief that bandwidth is more affordable in the EU right now than NA. If I'm not just putting together the puzzle wrong, I'm not sure they could match their current Kimsufi price point here.

For reference the sign I'm referring most to is the high availability of systems on 1Gbps shared lines at budget prices over there where we have, at most, a few providers offering such speeds to end users at a budget cost. More than willing to be wrong on that ;)

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

They're about to start beta testing of their provisioning infrastructure. They've been giving away ~90 "SP Mini" servers a day and they've been going like BuyVM 128s (link in French). Apparently they'll be free until they launch at which point you can either pay or cancel.

On Twitter they said they expect to launch on the 1st of August, and (if Google Translate is translating this properly) the rates for the Beauharnois datacenter will be the same as for France. The only wrinkle I can think of is that they might be sneaky and have the VAT-exclusive prices for Canada be the same as the TVA/VAT-inclusive prices for France, or might class Kimsufi differently from the rest of their lines.

I hope the Kimsufis in Canada are the same as the French ones, the ping from here in Australia to France sucks.

• lumaluma Member
    edited June 2012

Yes, they said the specs and prices will be the same as the France line of servers. Same pricing structure, same options etc.

As far as them updating the specs on the Kimsufi line i have no idea.

The specs on the Alpha servers are Atom 425's, 4GB of ram and 2TB disk, Perhaps that is what the new kimsufi "2g" will be? though they said they are dismantling these soon.

The only thing that bothers me is they imported all the parts and gear from France, Even things like memory. You would think by building something out in one part of the world you would try to support local companies.

• lumaluma Member

@Francisco said: They don't benefit from the same peering policies that France has.

The money they save on electricity probably offsets this quite a bit. Plus they built their own network within the USA so that is sure to help.

Electricity in some parts of Quebec is freaking dirt cheap and the building they purchased was an old aluminum factory which already had a huge power infrastructure in place.

Love them or Hate them they do come up with some smart ideas.

@luma said: Love them or Hate them they do come up with some smart ideas.

My only hate for them is how they handle abuse :P I had 2 boxes at kimsufi and they were great.

Francisco

• JTRJTR Member
    edited June 2012

I might try snagging one of those free servers, but it seems that they vanish within minutes of the launch.

By the way, they have a pingtest IP. ping.ovh.ca. As it turns out, my Toronto-based Yesup dedi is 20ms better than them. Pretty unimpressive, considering how small Yesup's operation is and the scale OVH works at.

Edit: Ping results.

64 bytes from 8.33.137.106: icmp_seq=0 ttl=45 time=70.309 ms
    64 bytes from 199.19.94.210: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=46.502 ms
  • lumaluma Member

@JTR said: By the way, they have a pingtest IP. ping.ovh.ca. As it turns out, my Toronto-based Yesup dedi is 20ms better than them. Pretty unimpressive, considering how small Yesup's operation is and the scale OVH works at.

They are not done with the network. That is why the Alpha just ended and Beta just started. a Beta is not a finished product.

They have a ton of peers and crap still on the way and not hooked up yet.

• JTRJTR Member

@luma said: They are not done with the network. That is why the Alpha just ended and Beta just started. a Beta is not a finished product.

They have a ton of peers and crap still on the way and not hooked up yet.

Yes, and still, it shouldn't impact latency so much.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

They said that the Montreal prices would be pretty much the same as there EU prices.

@Francisco said: My only hate for them is how they handle abuse :P I had 2 boxes at kimsufi and they were great.

They either null route all your IPs, or ignore the abuse request altogether.

• @luma said: The money they save on electricity probably offsets this quite a bit.

I think power is not THAT much cheaper in Canada than it is in France at large commits.
    The cheapest places i know for industrial power are:
    China (PRC) - Free, only line costs
    Iceland - 1cent (EUR) per KWh, depending on exchange rate sometimes 0,00X EUR

• pcanpcan Member

On this post, Octave Klaba - the OVH founder and director - describes the network status. This is the weak link at the moment. Octave write that is "just something for the alpha and beta tests" . They now have two 80 Gbps lines to Cologix 3 in Montreal, and a single 60 Gbps in Montreal towards New York, Toronto and London. They are working to bring up the "real" network in august and september. First a 1Tb line to New York (trough Albany), then a second line in september. They also plan a line to Chicago, but they haven't found a suitable cable operator yet.

• When do they put out more servers for the beta? I read it was daily, but that's not really specific enough considering how they run out immediately... :\

• @Chronic said: When do they put out more servers for the beta? I read it was daily, but that's not really specific enough considering how they run out immediately... :\

I managed to get one within a few minutes of it being announced on @OVH, although still have not received the details.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@luma said: The specs on the Alpha servers are Atom 425's, 4GB of ram and 2TB disk, Perhaps that is what the new kimsufi "2g" will be?

I predict these will be called "Kimsufi 4G" (note the RAM amount!!) and the price will be 20 Euro, or 25 (less likely).

• tuxtux Member

@Chronic said: When do they put out more servers for the beta? I read it was daily, but that's not really specific enough considering how they run out immediately... :\

Daily, but only from Monday to Friday.

• @Francisco said: My only hate for them is how they handle abuse :P

and now they're trying to delegate all IP (PI or PA? for classless ip? :P) to client. so each client can handle the abuse report. maybe they really tired being "abused" by abuse report :P

@Mon5t3r said: maybe they really tired being "abused" by abuse report :P

Yea like that'll work. It'll just draw in more booter hosts that will null the abuse email :P

Francisco

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r 96mb
  • beardbeard Member

FYI the thing you want to click on is the flag graphic which does not translate with Google Chrome. Took me a few mins to figure it out.

• Signed up for one of the beta servers; You should follow @OVH and @olesovhcom on twitter to get the times when they release them;
    Usually 08UTC or 12UTC. Mo through Friday. :)

Thanked by 1pcan
  • 96mb96mb Member

@JTR Well, OVH charges less than 20 bucks on the server and Yesup is 4 times of that :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@rm_ may be we can start a bet on it :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@Dionysus you use GMail? If you do create a filter with all email sent from that mailing list forwarded to trash directly :)

• NickWNickW Member

I believe the product line will be very similar in CA (possibly exactly the same), but the prices slightly higher. At a guess ~10-20%.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OVH in Montreal = dozens of new deadpool candidates

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited June 2012

@JTR said: By the way, they have a pingtest IP. ping.ovh.ca. As it turns out, my Toronto-based Yesup dedi is 20ms better than them. Pretty unimpressive, considering how small Yesup's operation is and the scale OVH works at.

Edit: Ping results.

That's because the routes are totally screwed atm.

Mine go from Minnesota (My state) > Chicago > New York > London > France > OVH Montreal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems totally backwards.

• lumaluma Member

@Dionysus said: I encountered the same problem when I checked it out in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago.

This is sort of fixed now. From Vancouver I now to go Seattle, San Jose, Dallas, Newark, Montreal, Bhs.

It is better but still not perfect.

Am not worried though, still a beta after all.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Anyone know the address to their new DC in Montreal?