Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox Possibly Closing - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox Possibly Closing

Comments

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited January 2012

@miTgiB said: How is this an advantage to any provider? If you visit my site via direct link or affiliate link, I still get all the money from a sale.

I'm not a provider so I don't know what could be "fair" :) but thought an affiliate link is better than spaming the site (LEB/LET) with their offers, or having an advantage over other providers in listing/rules. I guess it's the source of abjection from providers on having someone who is running a VPS business.

Edit: I got it, sorry what I meant by "affliate link" is actually "direct link" :)

• @Go59954 said: having an advantage over other providers

Whether there is an advantage or not, one will be perceived by some providers so I don't think any provider can touch these sites with a 10' pole now that I've had more time to reflect on it.

• Well, I also edited my last post.

• @Naruto said: Hold ALT+F4 if you want @Joel to take over.

That explains the recent forum slowdown, everyone voting.

Instead just thank this post if you want me for president! Obama DrMike move over!

Dear voting scum Constituents,

during this election campaign I would like to bring a new philosphoy to LET, called "No You Can't."

No you can't be a fly by night startup that just posts offers
    No you can't be a known scammer and post offers
    No you can't be a 12 year old running a host on your weekly pocket money
    No you can't rip off hosts sites, offer them for download and be a part of the community
    No you can't use LET/LEB for a quick cash drop and pissoff with the money.

Yes We Can, No You Can't!

Now during these relaxing days busy days, I will be relaxing on a beach actively campaigning and turning my phone off taking calls from douche bags members of the voting public. During this 10 day holiday campaign, feel free to call me as your views are irrelevant incredibly important to someone who cares me.

Note: bribes politcal donations, slave labour voulenteers and presents valued above $500 material for the campaign are being accepted.

• Here's some material, drop out of the race.

• Would probably better if someone wasn't tied to a host to be the lead role and then two sub authors to give it a balance if you keep the blog format.

Otherwise you could turn it into a wiki of sorts about how to manage your low end box and how to pick your specs / host etc. Then allow offers to be posted in the forums, maybe once a month.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited January 2012

If anyone tries to run the site, they will fail also. No site that is run by one person ever, ever succeeds.

@DrMike and @Francisco have my vote along with at least 2 others like @miTgiB. I've been here for a long time, maybe not as long as @DrMike, but I have seen the people that are helpful around here - even when they occasionally mess-up and make some bad choices and enemies because they don't watch their mouth.

The others will help balance them out. As I honestly can't trust any one person as everyone on this site has shown their bad side at least once.

I have my own life, so since v3 I have done my best to distance myself from this site, I even setup a firewall rule to block this domain during the day. I just wasted too much time at one point. Anyway, it is still a useful resource and can continue to grow if left to the right people (not person).

• My vote would be mitgib + drmike too.

also I just realised mitgib is bigtim backwards

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • First of all, let me say this: @LowEndAdmin its sad to learn that you’re leaving, specially since all this time and even from before (hostingfu, you also have some great material there).

Now regarding the future of the site:
    As a long time reader, I vote for passing on the baton. I might not have much voice here, but I prefer it would be something neutral (no providers related, this way we could avoid possible misunderstandings)

It would be great to make a team (technical side for keeping up the site, and the writers side, for posting material), clearing the rules, the details to search for each new provider, etc....

I gladly offer my help for this site. As for the main team or decision wise, could we keep it on a voting basis, it would be better if there was no one involved on a VPS biz.

Again this is just my personal opinion, and will wait to hear for @LowEndAdmin

• Appears just bout everyone is involved with hosting... We need a good way of doing this... Maybe nominate and then pick the top 5 out of 10 who write a paper the best.

After all, a blog does need excellent grammar to impress and ultimately survive.

• Thanks for all the discussions here. I appreciate all the feedbacks. However somehow I don't think the democracy would work here, i.e. you guys vote for who I am handing over to. At the end I still need to pick the person/team that I can trust this site with.

• @LowEndAdmin said: Thanks for all the discussions here. I appreciate all the feedbacks. However somehow I don't think the democracy would work here, i.e. you guys vote for who I am handing over to. At the end I still need to pick the person/team that I can trust this site with.

You are completely right LEA.

• LowEndAdmin I trust in you to make a good decision, as you've been good to us the last four years. My only concern is the person or persons who acquire the site won't have any interest in keeping up the great quality you have for so long. Which would be a shame.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

We can speculate as much as we want, the choice of leb and let is made by lea

• There is a real quandary here I think.

The options seems to be (a) sell the sites, or (b) pass them over for no charge to someone who will manage and grow them.

I think option (a) is untenable, simply because money is involved. If the sites are to be sold, then logically they should go to highest bidder. Perhaps Microsoft or Apple is interested....

And passing them over to an individual is equally fraught with problems -- the new owner may simply drop the ball after a few months and let things languish. Or decide to "monetize" the sites to the point where they become unusable.

So what to do?

More than anything the sites need assurance of longevity. To achieve that I think it's necessary to involve the companies who benefit from the existence of these sites.

But no single company should be given ownership, and no single company should be allowed to influence daily operations.

I'd suggest that the top VPS providers (as voted on LEB) be pulled together into a Board of Directors and be given control of the domains. It would then be their joint responsibility to find an individual to manage and grow the sites. That individual would be provided freedom to develop these sites in the best interest of the community (providers and customers) and would receive all advertising revenue as compensation -- minus operating expenses. If that manager fails to perform, in the collective view of the board, then the Board has the power to replace him (or her).

So step up guys...

RamHost
    QuickWeb
    BuyVM
    Hostigation
    VooServers
    EvoRack

(These are from this list. Someone please correct me if there's a more recent list.)

Let's has some volunteers for the Low End Board.

• @Infinity said: however he most likely doesn't want to disclose it due to many reasons.

As I have stated many times, I don't disclose because of a number of NDAs I have to work under, the need to protect my clients, some of them underage, the open and current legal matters concerning my ex fiancee and my past experiences with this and a number of other forums.

Also I don't disclose because many of the other folks here don't either. Not sure why some folks here feel the need to single me out while the others get away with it. Hell, even @LowEndAdmin doesn't disclose. :)

• LEA is a provider? I bet it's that QuickWeb, then.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Naruto said: LEA is a provider? I bet it's that QuickWeb, then.

No but he doesn't disclose any personal information. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Looks like the move is afoot:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/exit0/#comment-60509

edit: Nope, it's not me. Didn't know he was expecting someone to form up a team from day one.

• I just want you all to know that I will be doing my best as the new owner of LET and LEB and I hope you all give me a chance. I'll have my team investigating hosts while I work on approving new lowend offers and keep an eye on LET.

• The cat's out of the bag I guess. So much for the waiting a few days.

And if Naruto really does own the billsig.info and cowhavi.info domains, it's been given to a known spammer.

• I do not own those domains. Those domains are what got the IPs I got blacklisted. Apparently the guy blacklisted the entire /24. It was on the blacklist before I even got them because my site could never send emails to Hotmail. It still can't, but I added an SPF etc. and the Hotmail dudes say it'll take a few days.

• Haha. His appointment as the new owner of LowEndBox is as much true as my appointment as the new Defense against Dark Art professor at Hogwarts...

Thanked by 3jamson djvdorp Indic
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited January 2012

LEA : Please let the cat out of the bag, the suspense is killing me.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • Congrats LEA on your new appointment! Oh wait ...

• I had enough time to get one guy to believe me. I feel accomplished.

• @drmike said: Not sure why some folks here feel the need to single me out while the others get away with it

Well, to be honest dude, if you had simply stuck with "I'd rather not say" from the get-go instead of all the partial stories, you wouldn't get bugged about it. The worst way to keep something confidential is to call attention to it.

• Ok so Low End Box is ready for more spam? :p

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I can't vote for @Joel Everytime I try to type, it closes... hahahaha

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • I vote for sleddog..

• I am not the best person to do it, but I think I can give my OPINION.

The OWNER worked for several years to make his "domain" grows.

Some guys want that he GET OUT and give the domain for FREE.
    I think this is not the best idea. At least when you are talking about justice.

Give it for a group or somewhere it the same of to work for a long time and.. that's it.

I think the idea to give it to a GROUP of COMPANIES is not a good option. What about NEW companies? How can they have space in LowEndBox? In spite of most of them are scammers... we can not generalize.

In the other hand, people (members) are here to discuss about VPS, offers, etc. The members make this BIG and useful. If all them migrate to another place, lowendbox will survive just for a few months in Google and will down in Searches.

I think the Admin has already made this decision. But I'd like to give my opinion.

Good lucky!