Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft downgrades free OneDrive storage to 5GB, ends unlimited storage for Office 365 customers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft downgrades free OneDrive storage to 5GB, ends unlimited storage for Office 365 customers

2»

Comments

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2015

@WebProject said:
    it's not surprising at all as Microsoft is out of cloud race long time ago.

Not even close. Azure is second only to AWS and Microsoft's seen triple-digit (100%+) cloud revenue growth six of the past seven quarters.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average.

Which is a big deal... how, exactly? That's the cost of overselling, the occasional big user.

This move will likely have cost them more goodwill than those few data hoarders would've cost them in the long run.

EDIT: Also, at this kind of scale, 75TB is fuck-all.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • Some body should slap on bill gate face :) Unlimited is unlimited they should not have advertised such a lie from the beginning

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

Apparently M$ still can't figure out how this whole innertubez thing works.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

I'm bailing my encrypted stuff off Microsoft servers right now. It's absolutely great that you have to jump through countless of redirects just to get to your final login page. Then you meet with the dreaded "Call Us Overprotective" data collection message which you can skip for 7(?) days.

I tried to download their installer exe from onedrive.live.com and all damn links took me to their login page(wtf?). When logged in, again all links from google took me to the same place.

Are you not supposed to get the desktop installer anymore? What the hell is wrong with microsoft?

Good luck with these links from google:
    site:live.com inurl:download "onedrive"

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I may be one of the few who doesn't care. Thanks to the sharing facility it got all my family backing up their photos and shit for the first time ever, which saves me days a year having to try and retrieve shit from their failed hard drives and broken computers. Worth every penny of the cost.

• Anyone wants to keep 30GB? https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

• @n0my said:
    Anyone wants to keep 30GB? https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

Till they do a 3rd round of cuts and you have preview2.onedrive.com...

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Seen that mentioned on arsetechnica.

Funny how mickeysoft goes around on the footer:

• Offer must be redeemed by January 31, 2016. Microsoft account required. Limit of one redemption per person/account. Internet and mobile fees may apply. May not be combined with other offers. Use of OneDrive is subject to the Microsoft Services Agreement. Microsoft reserves the right to modify or discontinue the offer at any time.

read: we can still screw you over if our head'll hurt again.

Success!

Your account will not be affected by the upcoming storage changes.

Like it hurts you so much that a few people used tens of terrabytes of storage on your nearly unlimited capacity.

n0my said: Anyone wants to keep 30GB? https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

• pbgben said: 75 TB per user

Would take nearly 5 years to even upload that much on my connection.

• @jarland said:
    The thing I accuse Microsoft of the most is being out of tune with what people want. Clearly happened again, not predicting how people might use their storage. How did they NOT see that coming?? Surely some intern raised their hand in a meeting and was like "You know this is going to fail, right?"

I am laughing ! oh my god :)

• n0myn0my Member
    edited December 2015

ya_ said: Ummm, why do they know what people were storing?

Only SpiderOak and MEGA have zero knowledge policy and which provide free cloud file storage.
    If you use dropbox which I'm sure many here do then OneDrive is essentially the same when it comes to zero knowledge.

Thanked by 1noaman
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This is where Amazon was smart. Sell unlimited storage for cheap, discontinue the sync client, upload client crashes easily. Genius.

Building the storage sync into the OS and selling unlimited? Dumb.

• @jarland said:
    This is where Amazon was smart. Sell unlimited storage for cheap, discontinue the sync client, upload client crashes easily. Genius.

I've uploaded 2.2TB to Amazon in last four months and I'm yet to see the first client crash. They have just recently updated the client too which provides file level visibility into the upload progress.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @singsing said:
    Would take nearly 5 years to even upload that much on my connection.

Took them that long too, probably just got done saying "Finally all my crap is backed up in a safe place" 2 days Microsoft says announces this, "Well shit"

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • @n0my said:
    If you use dropbox which I'm sure many here do then OneDrive is essentially the same when it comes to zero knowledge.

Sync.com also have zero knowledge and domiciles your data outside of the US. Fairly easy to get bonuses also.

• 75TB of personal storage ?
    that's a hell lot of stuff people had been recording.

• The bubble broke, then. "It was somewhat predictable". Never used their beclouded services, and see no reason to.

Spreading important data in encrypted form over several non-unlimited services is much more sane.

• They should have seen this coming. Another MS fail.