Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spammed By LimestoneNetworks - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spammed By LimestoneNetworks

Comments

• I feel a fail coming!

Okay, here is the funny thing there dmca threat doesn't hold up as here is language from the dmca

The transmission must be initiated by a person other than the provider.

• So I am not bound by there dmca notice as they were in violation to start with.

• @24khost said: I feel a fail coming!

Okay, here is the funny thing there dmca threat doesn't hold up as here is language from the dmca

The transmission must be initiated by a person other than the provider.

I'd post it on WHT too if I was you.

• Change cat to General too as 'Offtopic' is members only.

• Chaned to General.

• Thanks I have to see what he wants to do. I did do my research though and they have no leg to stand on.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited October 2012

I believe section 512 read

Limitation for Transitory Communications

In general terms, section 512(a) limits the liability of service providers in

circumstances where the provider merely acts as a data conduit, transmitting digital
    information from one point on a network to another at someone else’s request. This
    limitation covers acts of transmission, routing, or providing connections for the
    information, as well as the intermediate and transient copies that are made automatically
    in the operation of a network.
    In order to qualify for this limitation, the service provider’s activities must meet
    the following conditions:
    __! The transmission must be initiated by a person other than the provider.
    __! The transmission, routing, provision of connections, or copying must
    be carried out by an automatic technical process without selection of
    material by the service provider.
    __! The service provider must not determine the recipients of the material.
    __! Any intermediate copies must not ordinarily be accessible to anyone
    other than anticipated recipients, and must not be retained for longer
    than reasonably necessary.
    __! The material must be transmitted with no modification to its content.

• Oh look, LSN's reputation demolished in all of about 20 posts, wow.

• Wasn't trying to do that but, I guess if that is what happens.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

grabs popcorn

Sometimes it is unbelievable how a good company otherwise would go to such lows to protect the "confidentiality" of their spammy emails.
    I mean, WTF should be confidential in a spam mail sent to at least tens if not hundreds of hosts ? Did they imagine this will remain out of the public eye ? Are they really thinking that sending that disclaimer means you agree with it automatically ? Then any company will be able to send such a thing entering a legal contract with you...
    Or maybe they need to protect the "IP rights" of their marketing staff which came up with such a brilliant idea and write-up of a good ad.
    The whole marketing department and now the legal department should be fired.
    M

• There not the only ones, ColoCrossing have sent us an email (via our online contact sales form) once or twice which was unsolicited, which he stated he found my company via LowEndBox.

• @Liam said: Contacted Chief for you regarding dmca.

From what I've read i can't see him caring.

• @LV_Matt funny thing is ColoCrossing is where LowEndTalk is at and that is where the dmca take down notice will be sent supposedly.

• @24khost said: @LV_Matt funny thing is ColoCrossing is where LowEndTalk is at and that is where the dmca take down notice will be sent supposedly.

I can't see them giving too hoots about it since they actively do it themselves.

• Pretty sure Cheif has had enough DMCA requests for take downs in the last few months / year or two, this one shouldnt do too much harm ^^.

• @eastonch at that I will still say sorry to @Cheif

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I think you get that email just too long... it is just an email you can flag as spam

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited October 2012

I wouldn't necessarily consider this as spam. It seems like a personal message reaching out to offer you services. According to the CAN-SPAM guidelines, as long as they either provide an opt-out, or better yet an opt-in and only send one email, they are clear it is advertising services, and provide their address, it wouldn't be illegal.

I receive multiple emails per month from companies who feel they could offer me services, I either respond politely or delete the email. Doesn't affect me much, as I know it is a salespersons job to reach out to find new clientele. As long as they aren't sending me repeated messages or obvious spam like "VIAGARA for SALE", I don't mind.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@LV_Matt said: I can't see them giving too hoots about it since they actively do it themselves.

Haha, I actually signed up with ColoCrossing for MCLayer thanks to Jon's "solicitations." Not a bad move on my part, just ironic.

• There was no opt-out or opt-in.
    @vdnet Hey Devon. Really wasn't the fact that I recieved a solicitation email. More the fact they skimmed my email from LET then Emailed me offering super big discounts.

I posted it as I found it funny that they would solicite for such a big company.

• Yes, it is the part of being a business. I received emails and letters in the mail all the time from other businesses who received my business information somehow. In fact, your county/state probably provides your company information to advertisers just from registering your business in the first place.

• @vdnet The part that got me though was the going overboard for posting the email. That technically violates the can-spam act. With no opt out notice. Then threaten a DMCA over this post.

• vdnetvdnet Member
    edited October 2012

Yes, I agree, the DMCA is pretty extreme. I don't know how enforceable that would be considering they didn't have you agree to anything and they sent it to you.

• AshAsh Member

lol, the 'company outing' image has been removed from imageshack?

I wouldn't have bothered editing the post at all. That automatically added babble at the bottom of the email is worthless.

Here's a good summary for you.
    http://www.economist.com/node/18529895

Thanked by 2vedran Nexus
  • NexusNexus Member
    edited October 2012

edit: too much fun.......... hahaha

• If only that Nigerian king remembered to put the copyright notice at the end of his email ...

Thanked by 1breton
  • Did I make the site go down?

• Lol might have been what I posted, I think they attacked LET. I removed my post :P