Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[VPN] Anybody used SafeSrv's FreeRadius WHMCS module?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[VPN] Anybody used SafeSrv's FreeRadius WHMCS module?

VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
edited September 2012 in General

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has used the VPN module for WHMCS from SafeSrv?

Any experience with it, and thoughts would be hugely appreciated, as I wanna make sure it's the right thing for me before I delve into anything.

Wanting to setup a small VPN company where users can just signup, pay, and receive a VPN account for PPTP/LT2P/OpenVPN instantly. Need to limit users by bandwidth usage also, which apparently is possible with this module.

How much work is required in setting it up?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Liam

Comments

• No.I just write my own.pretty similar to safeserv using radius and MySQL to whmcs as well.

• @liamwithers said: Need to limit users by bandwidth usage also, which apparently is possible with this module.

Well, don't take what the site says as gospel.. because it's not. As long as the user stays logged in, they can continue well past their limit. It's only if they disconnect and try to reconnect that it blocks them.

Apparently they started working on a disconnect module on Monday (around 3 months late) and should have it done shortly.

There's no fancy gui or interface in WHMCS for this module and the setup requires a lot of faffing around. Don't expect to copy a few files, edit a text file or two and you're away - it's definitely not like that.

• @Martind: you can always force disconnect a user from radius if you want to

• Yep - you'd expect the module to handle all of that though.

• I looked at this too, was wanting to set something small up but the costs of the software + WHMCS + dedi kinda made it look like a non starter for me.

I already have a few customers but would need a hella lot more to make it viable :(

Anyway, good to know that its not as simple as the site makes it out to be !

• Yes I use it - it works fine. About an hour's work to set it up.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@MartinD so long as they've started work on it now though eh!?

@nikc tbh I don't think it's that expensive considering how much you can make back from it. Considering the main strain will be bandwidth rather than CPU or RAM, it should be relatively easy to make money back, so long as you can bring customers in.

@jhadley is that using just the standard set up? Nothing additional or extra needed to be done?

Cheers guys

• @liamwithers said: is that using just the standard set up? Nothing additional or extra needed to be done?

Just what's listed on their website.

• @liamwithers yeh possibly, mine would ideally need to be UK based, I'd love to get something going as I have the money ready to invest, just haven't found the right option to make it look feasible for me.

• Where is this module? Is it opensourced? I am not interested in running VPNs, but it could be useful for other purposes.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

The first time I had this module setup, took me 5 hours and 20 emails exchanged... I think they've updated their website since then, as the creator asked me to write some feedback and suggestions on waht to get fixed... So I wrote back a large list of things that ahd ot be done, which were not listed in his guides, hopefully he changed and added them.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Yep, I've had it.

The module is pretty useful but lacking in features.

The main features are Dedicated IP setup and allowing servers to belong to multiple groups.

By the multiple groups feature for example you can have a UK group of servers and the customer will be able to access them all and you could also have a US Group and customers signing up to the US Group can use all servers. However there is no option to allow sign up to a "Global" group and you'd end up having to hack things up to allow this or setting up new servers for this "Global" group.

• @httpzoom said: However there is no option to allow sign up to a "Global" group and you'd end up having to hack things up to allow this or setting up new servers for this "Global" group.

Is that not the point of having Freeradius? 1 account, access to any server.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Well what I mean is.

I was looking to have A UK Group of servers and a USA Group of Servers.

The website would then have a UK package, a Global Package and a USA Package.

Using this addon it isn't possible.

Its a good addon, however it really is just an interface with freeradius and not much more for your money.

• whattheserverwhattheserver Member
    edited September 2012

I have been using this for quite a few months myself and it works great yes the initial setup may be tricky for a novice but Keith from safesrv will take care of it pronto with paid install option and he supports it VERY WELL can vouch and attest to this when shit has hit the fan(stuff thats not his fault) for me and for many others i also know using it.

Thanked by 1SafeSrv
  • SafeSrvSafeSrv Member
    edited September 2012

Hey guys - just want to chime in here a bit to explain a couple of things, i would like to say first that we initially created the module for users going through a NAS such as RouterOS or PFsense etc any NAS that supports mikrotik attributes as most of our clients used such setups.

So we built the module to support the attributes they support, the disconnect feature works like a charm when going through a NAS as does the bandwidth allotment disconnect and the speed throttling, you can even group users as httpzoom has mentioned, but then we made it available to the public and realised that not alot of people use NAS's or know how to implement them so now over the last months we have been working to have these features work without the NAS and make it as simple as possible, but this is no easy task.

If your not experienced in FreeRADIUS or VPN protocols then don't expect it to be easy to configure everything on your own, we offer a setup package to get you going as we realise not many people are familiar with freeradius, we do alot of work for the money.

We are working on alot of features, the disconnect feature should be ready for next Friday, its a shame freeradius doesn't support internal disconnect packets as we need to access all VPN servers and use radcleint.

And we don't need a fancy GUI as we use the WHMCS GUI.

We have install instructions that pretty much explain everything on how to setup the module itself, they are pretty simple steps and if you are having issues with these maybe it's not for you, we also have many guides on our blog that explain very simply each step on how to setup your VPN protocols to authenticate off FreeRADIUS.

If you have any issues or questions just ask and i will check them out.

Cheers

Thanked by 1whattheserver