Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Setup script for Debian 6 VPS - Nginx, MySQL, IPtables, etc.. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Setup script for Debian 6 VPS - Nginx, MySQL, IPtables, etc..

Comments

• AsimAsim Member

@bamnael my bad, didn't see that its not part of "system" or something. Thanks for pointing it out

• AsimAsim Member

Any chances we can get the same script for Ubuntu 12.04?

• AsimAsim Member

How to make index.php default? right now it looks for index.html or display 403: forbidden

new to nginx, be nice

• @Asim I would look in the /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default file and look for index files ;) and make sure you setup fpm to do PHP.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

Can you add this?

// look for .html then .htm then .php
    index index.html index.htm index.php

server {
    listen 80;
    server_name www.$1 $1;
    root /var/www/$1/public;
    access_log /var/www/$1/access.log;
    error_log /var/www/$1/error.log;

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited August 2012

How about

location ~ \.php$ {
                    try_files $uri =404;
                    fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
                    fastcgi_index index.php;
                    include fastcgi_params;
            }

EDIT: Make sure you have php5-fpm installed (apt-get install php5-fpm) and make sure it is listening on port 9000 (127.0.0.1:9000)

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited August 2012

@Asim and @TheHackBox, I'm not sure what you guys are wanting since what you just posted looks like a stripped down version of what is already there. Can you edit your posts with more information?

Edit: added support for ".htm"

• For some odd reason @Xeoncross he is having issues doing PHP on his nginx.

• maybe the php didn't see the files to be served.

• @Asim said: Any chances we can get the same script for Ubuntu 12.04?

asim, you can use this for Ubuntu 12.04 and you can skip dotdeb part. since ubuntu 12.04 already include php5-fpm on its repository.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • You still should add the apt-get update/upgrade after the dotdeb package.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Xeoncross requests, please include phpmyadmin and wordpress installation in it

Thanked by 3jcaleb rgenzon haris
  • +1 @asim's request.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • I agree with @asim this is something missing from a lot of installations, that would have a lot of value.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • And/or sqlbuddy.com

Thanked by 1Asim
  • I'm sold on SQL Buddy! Man that's slick...

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2012

@Asim said: please include phpmyadmin

You should never, ever, ever run development tools like XDebug or phpmyadmin directly on the server. Instead, download it to your local development machine and follow my simple port forwarding tutorial to connect SQLBuddy, MySQL Work bench, phpMyAdmin, or anything else to your VPS server without endangering your production VPS.

When I get some time I'll look into adding Wordpress back in.

• Isn't it just possible to simply put phpmyadmin folder with an .htaccess so you first have to enter this pw? Should be pretty save then...

• +1 wordpress - must :P

optional joomla/drupal

• Boooo to mysql :) why not have PostgreSQL in there also for the free minded non closed source people. I am just kidding thanks for your work :)

• @BoGs, I was looking into an automated install of PostgreSQL - but I couldn't figure anything out. I need someone with more psql experience to help me out.

@bamnael, running Database admin tools over a tunnel is much safer and easier using port forwarding.

• I have openVz and I know iptables doesn't work properly in openVZ. I got error in the COMMIT line any way to fix or any alternative of iptables?

• @kossel : What was the error specifically? Many times, the error is an indication that a particular iptables kernel module is not loaded. More often than not, it's the ipt_recent module.

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • it just say error in line 53. that line is the "commit" line.
    I tried to comment line with param state. and it worked, do you think my vps dosn't support "state" command?

• @Xeoncross said: You should never, ever, ever run development tools like XDebug or phpmyadmin directly on the server. Instead, download it to your local development machine and follow my simple port forwarding tutorial to connect SQLBuddy, MySQL Work bench, phpMyAdmin, or anything else to your VPS server without endangering your production VPS.
    When I get some time I'll look into adding Wordpress back in.

I agree but I want them on a dev box on my local network. Can you please include both?

• @kossel said: it just say error in line 53. that line is the "commit" line.

Line 53 of what?

• @Damian: of iptable rule file. (/etc/iptables.up.rules) according the script

• @Asim just added several new features to the lowendscript.

• Webmin
    • vzFree
    • Cachefly I/O test
    • ps_mem
    • Info on Operating System, version and Architecture
    • SSH key generator
    Thanked by 2Asim Mon5t3r
  • I don't bother with DotDeb for anything other than PHP-FPM. So I use option #2 of dotdeb's instructions to install only the repo for PHP-FPM, and I use the official PPA from wiki.nginx.org for nginx. Rest is standard with Debian Squeeze.

• Have been trying to use this but on the 2 vm's ive tried i get MySQL install problems.
    http://pastebin.com/p5rn0wfF