Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSailor - new Romania location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSailor - new Romania location

bersybersy Member
edited July 2015 in Providers

Got an e-mail from HostSailor (aff link) about their new location.

There is onetime 50% off (65% off If paid annually) in this respect, promo code RONL50VE is valid for Netherlands and Romania VPS servers.

Only OVZ-HDD VPS is available in Romania now, but KVM/Xen/OVZ-SSD VPS will be available too.

There is still no looking glass as for Romania location yet, but you can ping http://bgp.he.net/net/185.106.122.0/24 eg 185.106.122.4.

There are some tests from OVZ RO node:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  3400.053 MHz
Total amount of ram : 512 MB
Total amount of swap : 512 MB
System uptime :   15 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 56.2MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.89MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 12.9MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.72MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 27.1MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 42.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.08MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.3MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 16.7MB/s
I/O speed :  1.5 GB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.799976 s, 1.3 GB/s

Comments

• Pretty bad network - M247 is not very good quality.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited July 2015

Did you say hdd? Dafuq, must be nice ones...

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2015

They use SSD cache I guess.

PS. Nope, it's just a SATA in RAID-10.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

SSD increased price twice? Still trying charge for SSD instead HDD..

• bersybersy Member

Not twice, but difference is not inconsiderable indeed.

• fitvpn said: SSD increased price twice? Still trying charge for SSD instead HDD..

SSD space is more expensive.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Traffic said: SSD space is more expensive.

Physical cost of SSD cannot be reflected to VPS, and HDD now also not a cheap.

• fitvpn said: Physical cost of SSD cannot be reflected to VPS, and HDD now also not a cheap.

Of course it can? Where the F* do you get that idea from? SSDs still cost far more per GB than HDDs, and this won't change in the near future either, thus the difference in purchase cost must be factored in the sales price of the server.

• HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

@William said:
    Pretty bad network - M247 is not very good quality.

If you don't mind me asking, did you have bad experience on the M247 data center network, if so let us know in private we'd be happy to test something out with you, perhaps even give you some VPS to try out.

edited July 2015

@fitvpn said:
    SSD increased price twice? Still trying charge for SSD instead HDD..

Good news, we had price reductions for OpenVZ SSD, hope you like it now https://hostsailor.com/vps-hosting/openvz-ssd-vps/

Thanked by 1bersy
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2015

$15/yr for 512MB RAM in Romania.. not bad

Edit: only 50% off not 65%

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2015

hostnoob said: $15/yr for 512MB RAM in Romania.. not bad

Edit: only 50% off not 65%

65% off have been already applied. Look, $1.5*12=$18, but your annual price is $15.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @bersy said:
    65% off have been already applied. Look, $1.5*12=$18, but your annual price is $15.

ah, I thought it was 65% on top of the yearly discount, but seems you get a yearly discount, then 50% on top of that

• hostnoob said: ah, I thought it was 65% on top of the yearly discount, but seems you get a yearly discount, then 50% on top of that

Well, I guess they don't want it to be the last location they add, so they'll try not to make GVH-style promos :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2015

HostSailor said: If you don't mind me asking, did you have bad experience on the M247 data center network, if so let us know in private we'd be happy to test something out with you, perhaps even give you some VPS to try out.

I have used services directly from M247 as well and I can tell you that they have a less than impressive network. Throughput to a lot of areas outside of Europe is just awful (often below 100mbit). Also, maybe its different with your own port, but at least using their VPS line I was often not able to even get over about 15M/sec to a lot of NL/DE providers. Needless to say, I am canceling service with them after only about 2 months of service. I am not saying your services are bad, but the network of M247 does leave something to be desired (especially since they try to push "Gigabit" in their product advertising).

Here is an example:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2420 v2 @ 2.20GHz

Number of cores : 1

CPU frequency : 2200.070 MHz

Total amount of ram : 242 MB

Total amount of swap : 63 MB

System uptime : 23 days, 22:45,

Download speed from CacheFly: 24.1MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2.02MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.59MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.72MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 14.2MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 20.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.18MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.74MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.94MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.68MB/s

I hate to say it, but unfortunately this is more 'normal' than you would like to think. I have tested at different times of the day and seen very similar outcomes.

Once again, this is using M247 directly, NOT Hostsailor, but I wanted to just follow-up to your comment on what @William said as someone who has experienced their network.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

@TheLinuxBug That's not true gigabit. Have you done a few iperf tests?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2015

@Traffic I think that was my point, they advertise as "Full Gigabit" yet the actual throughput on the network does not fulfill that promise. As mentioned, maybe this has something to do with M247's actual product line and gigabit ports have a different outcome, but I have been testing services with them over the past 2 months and I can't say anytime I have wanted to transfer data I have been impressed. Their servers are quite stable, the network just leaves something to be desired.

Edit: Also, I am no slouch and I have optimized my tcp stack in Linux kvm for the best possible outcome and I have spent a reasonable amount of time testing and tweaking to see if I could produce different results. From what I could see it isn't a hardware issue, but a network issue in and of its self.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Traffic

@TheLinuxBug said:

We have followed up on this case, and spoken to the CEO of the datacenter, any VPS services from M247 directly were capped at 300mbit due to DDoS and other issues they were facing, however on our end we have no limits, our racks are setup with 2x 10gbit each, and each VPS server got 2x 1gbit in BONDING, lastly each VPS got 1gbit max to use, here is some tests:

Downloading on the RO VPS server from NL:

wget -O/dev/null http://mirror.leaseweb.com/speedtest/10000mb.bin
    --2015-07-20 12:52:48-- http://mirror.leaseweb.com/speedtest/10000mb.bin
    Resolving mirror.leaseweb.com... 94.75.223.121, 2001:1af8:4030:1:0:dead:beef:cafe
    Connecting to mirror.leaseweb.com|94.75.223.121|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10000000000 (9.3G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â/dev/nullâ

100%[================================================================================================================================================================================================>] 10,000,000,000 63.6M/s in 2m 32s

2015-07-20 12:55:21 (62.8 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

Downloading on the NL VPS server from RO:

wget -O/dev/null http://mirrors.m247.ro/centos/6.6/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.6-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
    --2015-07-20 11:54:13-- http://mirrors.m247.ro/centos/6.6/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.6-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
    Resolving mirrors.m247.ro... 2a04:9dc0:0:8::2, 185.45.12.22
    Connecting to mirrors.m247.ro|2a04:9dc0:0:8::2|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 4632608768 (4.3G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â/dev/nullâ

100%[=================================================================================================================================================================================================>] 4,632,608,768 50.0M/s in 1m 42s

2015-07-20 11:55:55 (43.4 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

• 50MB/s from/to NL/RO is still horrible - Not as bad as before but nothing to be excited about at all.

M247s problem is not the capping of their VPS (which is pretty shady anyway as it is promoted as unmetered Gbit) but their in general bad network due to high usage of Cogent for congested routes and not having any route optimization.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
    edited July 2015

@William said:
    50MB/s from/to NL/RO is still horrible - Not as bad as before but nothing to be excited about at all.

M247s problem is not the capping of their VPS (which is pretty shady anyway as it is promoted as unmetered Gbit) but their in general bad network due to high usage of Cogent for congested routes and not having any route optimization.

63.6M/s and I even seen it spike to 71M/s on a VPS in East Europe (Romania) from West Europe (Netherlands) is not bad at all on a live server hosting a dozen of VPS, with all due respect and I really don't want to argue, but I think you have a personal issue with M247, I respect your opinion however you did not try our network setup, and we do not operate the same way they do, we have our own setup in their datacenter, they don't advertise 1g VPS however the uplink is 1gbit, we do advertise exactly what we give which was explained before.

http://bgp.he.net/AS9009

According to HE cogent is 26% of the entire network, that's all europe, so RO will be 10-15%.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

HostSailor said: but I think you have a personal issue with M247

BS, i have zero issues with them and am actually customer.

Fact is you are using their BW, which, fact again, is mainly Cogent and peering, which is fact that it is overloaded especially in AMS and FRA, which again makes it a fact that the network is simply bad. Facts over facts.

The pure trust of you into HEs BGP viewing tool, which is extremely biased as it is based on HEs network, already shows that you have not much idea how this works.

PS: Frankfurt->Bucharest

Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null 100%[=====================================================================================================================================================================>] 1.00G 111MB/s in 9.5s

2015-07-20 13:38:25 (108 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [1073741824/1073741824]

@William said:
    The pure trust of you into HEs BGP viewing tool, which is extremely biased as it is based on HEs network, already shows that you have not much idea how this industry works.

If you had zero issues with them, and you're still a client then you're contradicting yourself.

I respected your opinion on THEIR network, I didn't insult your views, and you have zero experience on our own network, so please do not insult my views and my experience in how the industry works, you do not know who I am, or what I have done throughout the time I spent in this type of industry, I have over 20 years of experience, and I'd appreciate if you can share your views with others without stepping on others like you just did now.

In terms of capacity, cogent is the 4th on the list for M247, it goes like NTT, Telia, TelecomItalia and then Cogent.

Please note that you're talking about a cheap VPS on their network, they may have limitations or different structure for such a low cost service, again I can not comment on what you're facing there, its your problem with your services with them not with us, but as I recall you said you had no problems which makes me think why you're complaining in the first place.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

HostSailor said: If you had zero issues with them, and you're still a client then you're contradicting yourself.

Why would i? Using the service and liking it can be 2 entirely different things.

HostSailor said: you do not know who I am

Heh, i do, if you are indeed the owner of HostSailor and not just some employee, your company is on my watchlist for using LACNIC IPs in RIPE region (which is forbidden by LACNIC, but you know that very well anyway...)

HostSailor said: Please note that you're talking about a cheap VPS on their network, they may have limitations or different structure for such a low cost service

I (for someone else) rent (and manage) a dedicated server, not a VPS - And not 100TB/Unmetered series but "PREMIUM" blend, which is as worse as the normal one.

@William said:

We are sharing views, and I respect everyone's opinions, it helps us grow to be better and try to please everyone as much as possible, we have no other intentions but to be successful, again I am sorry for your partial bad experience on their network, but I assure you that we had people test our RO segment, they all seem happy and we're happy with the results so far, it's your decision after all what's good and what's bad.

I just hope you're not trying to achieve something in this thread, as you do seem to want to compete based on the type of your projects https://william.si/#projects I might be wrong ofcourse.

I will consider this a closed case, and maybe one day we will have the pleasure of hosting you, then you can see who we really are, and what kind of services we provide, best of luck.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

HostSailor said: as you do seem to want to compete based on the type of your projects https://william.si/#projects I might be wrong ofcourse.

Bullshit, i do currently not run any VPS providers or work for any, i get some income out of shares but thats it.

HostSailor said: and maybe one day we will have the pleasure of hosting you

I am already a customer of yours as well, with a VPS in NL.

Also interesting how you entirely ignored my statement of using LACNIC IPs in Europe, any comment on that? Or you just wait like all others until your alloc is revoked (which, along with others like Host1Plus, is already in progress at LACNIC)

@William said:
    Also interesting how you entirely ignored my statement of using LACNIC IPs in Europe, any comment on that? Or you just wait like all others until your alloc is revoked?

You have edited your text later, I did not read that, if you have any network level related issues or complaints you can raise it directly with us, we do not discuss our internal operations on forums.

Feel free to write us and request to speak to someone if required.

• It's no complaint, it's simply forbidden by LACNICs terms, so you are breaking your LACNIC contract - Simple as that.

@William said:
    It's no complaint, it's simply forbidden by LACNICs terms, so you are breaking your LACNIC contract - Simple as that.

You do not know how our structure works, therefore you can only comment on what you think you know, LACNIC is fully aware of our structure, feel free to contact them if you require.

I will have to refrain from this conversation I'm afraid, you are only jumping from one issue to another, you are hosted on our NL segment, and using M247's segment, I really have nothing to comment on anymore, if we're bad please find a better suitable solution.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

HostSailor said: feel free to contact them if you require.

I did already report you, along with others, as said before.

HostSailor said: if we're bad please find a better suitable solution.

I can warn users here from using a network that has bad quality, which again has been proven by both me and someone else in this thread, all day long if i want. This is also not an offer thread so you have no force to stop us from doing that either.

• Is it OpenVZ ploop? This might explain the dd increase.