Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH hosted website stealing my content
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH hosted website stealing my content

JoeBissJoeBiss Member

Hello,

There's a website hosted by OVH and they are stealing my contents. News, features, photos, etc...I have full copyrights on them. What can I do as they are hurting my SEO..

Thanks!

Comments

• Report it to google.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

do you really have copyright, are they crediting the source? do you have rss?

• wychwych Member

1) If its being automatically ripped e.g. from RSS then just add a source url to each article.

2) Ensure Google is caching your content before the 2nd sites and it will know your the original author.

AnthonySmith said: are they crediting the source?

+1.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • No they are not. Only copy/paste unfortunately. They are doing manually. We write 10 posts a day. They steal 4 or 5.

• As long as YOUR site gets indexed first, it doesn't hurt your seo. So, focus on getting indexed fast and the problem becomes a non-issue.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    do you really have copyright

Copyright is AUTOMATIC and there is no need to even write "copyright 2015" anymore. Even if you've not registered official copyright, you still own ALL rights to your content unless otherwise stated.

As @rds100 said, one of the first steps is here:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/spamreport

And then I highly recommend doing this:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

ALSO use that template to send a DMCA notice to OVH.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2015

Check Reverse DNS of the ip and dns of domain name and write to hosting provider first (if they use hosting provider which use ovh servers) that will guarantee you a faster response and reaction

It is not called dmca it's a copyright abuse and it is standartized in every EU countries laws...

• Don't worry they will be penalized by google soon or after.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

Traffic said: Copyright is AUTOMATIC

Unless you contracted it out and the contract says otherwise. Or the content can't be considered "original". Or you explicitly released your copyright elsewhere (and you're in the US). Or you just bought a license from a third party, and no IP ownership transfer took place. Or...

It's a perfectly valid question to ask. It's very common for people to misunderstand whether they hold the copyright to something or not.

EDIT: And to the thread starter:

• It's unauthorized copying, not theft.
    • There's nothing you can fundamentally do about it, short of abusemailing the host (they will just relocate) or suing the person behind the site (this will cost you).
    Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @joepie91 said:
    Unless you contracted it out and the contract says otherwise. Or the content can't be considered "original". Or you explicitly released your copyright elsewhere (and you're in the US). Or you just bought a license from a third party, and no IP ownership transfer took place. Or...

Then you didn't write/draw/record it [on your own] AND/OR did something else after doing so/purchasing it/receiving it.

What I said is perfectly correct for the OP's use case.

@Traffic said:
    What I said is perfectly correct for the OP's use case.

OP didn't specify the origin of his content.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @joepie91 said:
    OP didn't specify the origin of his content.

JoeBiss said: I have full copyrights on them.

I have no reason not to trust him or think he does not know what he says.

• ztecztec Member

Make sure you are indexed first. That way Google will penalize them automatically. It won't hurt your content. You might ask them to link to your site, this might even help a little.

I wouldn't sue unless you are actively losing money and can prove it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Traffic said: Please learn before giving out advice.

Fair use............

Now please take that stick out of your ass before you get back on your high and mighty chair.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Traffic
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2015

heh.

OP, I'm a moderator at a Google related forum and see people run into all kinds of problems regarding scrapers outranking their own site. Usually Google can spot the difference, particularly so if your site has lots of good ranking signals.

Some of the more paranoid crowd will cloak & wait until Googlebot has fetched their content before pushing it into full public view. It's nigh impossible to keep scrapers out, and DMCA complaints can be automated.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Fair use............

Fair point. Sorry for telling you that, I was wrong and you were right.

• @ricardo said:
    Some of the more paranoid crowd will cloak & wait until Googlebot has fetched their content before pushing it into full public view.

This is great advice. @ricardo, which forum you're modding?

• A forum where this thread would have already been heavily moderated ;)

I hear these methods are also useful
    https://www.google.com/search?q=PubSubHubbub+and+fat+pings

Thanked by 2deadbeef geekalot
  • Just ping your posts so the robots fatch them before they copy your posts.

There are auto ping plugins for wordpress.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited March 2015

Stealing, hum. Where's the subtraction?

Obviously that's just copying without citing sources. If someone is being an ass like that, why would people rather visit this site than yours? You should think about that first, concentrate on your own stuff instead of copyright bullshits.

edited March 2015

@Traffic said:
    I have no reason not to trust him or think he does not know what he says.

Again. OP didn't specify the origin. There is no statement to "not trust", because none were made, and he never "said" anything about it to begin with. I'm not sure how this is so hard to understand?

If he commissioned the work, then it is very possible that he does not hold the copyright, even if it was written for his site. It is therefore completely reasonable to ask.

• @joepie91

You are right, it is completely reasonable - there was no explicit recognition of the source of the content.

• @JoeBiss i have a good option for you.. pur a watermark on every image you post and you will see they will not copy anymore your images. As for text articles, as the guys before told you.. first indexed, first served.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

@Catalin said:
    JoeBiss i have a good option for you.. pur a watermark on every image you post and you will see they will not copy anymore your images. As for text articles, as the guys before told you.. first indexed, first served.

Yes, and as @wych said he can also add a link to his own site on the articles. He might even get some links out of that if the scraper is dumb enough.

• yes @Traffic , he must be really dumb :))

• @Catalin said:
    yes Traffic , he must be really dumb :))

Or just automated :)

• P.S If you want fast indexing there is 2 methods

1. Go to webmaster tools and Fetch new page as google bot

2. Submit rss as a sitemap

• well here's some bad news for you, google wouldn't know who posted the content 1st but it will know who's content got crawled 1st so therefore got indexed 1st.
    so if the ripper is copying your content then using one of the many tricks to get google bots to crawl his page before yours then i'm sorry but you are fighting a losing battle.
    Internet marketers have struggled with this issue for years and google hasn't done much about it.
    if your blog is wp then pm me and i'll give you a trick to get your content indexed as soon as its posted.

• Offtopic.. Question. Copy pasting articles form different web sources... But providing link... Back to the orignal author.. Is it still wrong.?

• Thanks everyone. I went with this option: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

It's the best. I just need to spend 5 minutes but they removed all his links and I'm back on top ;)

Thanks everyone.