Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap OpenVZ or more expensive XEN HVM/KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap OpenVZ or more expensive XEN HVM/KVM?

datalovedatalove Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hi!

I'm planning to start a VPS node and would like to know what you'd prefer to see:

Cheap OpenVZ VPS or more expensive - non oversold / guaranted ressources - KVM?

I'd rather offer guaranted KVM as it's what I would buy, but what about you?

Of course if the ressources are guaranteed with no overcommiting / no balooning price will be more expensive than the usual oversold OpenVZ (or even oversold/balloned KVM) - not to say that overselling is bad, just that it's not part of my business model if I go for some pseudo bare metal virtualization on this box... I feel like the customer is in right to be able to use cache and everything like if it was a small dedi.

How much would you think would be a good price for the following LEB, from a customer point of view?

128 MB RAM / 256 SWAP / 10 GB HDD / 500GB bandwidth?

256 MB RAM / 512 SWAP / 20 GB HDD / 1 TB bandwidth?

For KVM VPS?
For OpenVZ?

Both would be in NL...

Thx for those who will take some time to answer me :) !

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Would it be with leaseweb?

• @Francisco said: Would it be with leaseweb?

How? They only give 16 IPs per server.

@iKocka said: How? They only give 16 IPs per server.

I heard they give a /27 but let the man answer my question :)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2011

32 IPs Co-lo and 16 IPs for leased servers.
    And news flash, KVM can be and is oversold.

• datalovedatalove Member
    edited November 2011

@Francisco nope :)

you plan to expand in eu @ leaseweb fran?

@VMport: I know it is usualy oversold. My idea would be to provide something with guaranteed ressources / no overselling, even if it would have to be a little bit more expensive than the others.

The question is: would that make sense or would everybody just try to go for the cheapest one - I do believe that there is a need for quality though

I have no plans but the big thing is that leaseweb caps IP's, meaning that should have been your main point to divide out costs. There's already one Einstein of a host on here that failed to read leasewebs TOS and is likely going to have to pull out fast, I'd hate to see more ;)

@VMPort - 16 on leased, christ.

Francisco

• The thing is, you cant prove that they are non-oversold. Just the fact you say they arent oversold isnt generally enough proof, so when people have the decision between KVM plan's such as Frans (Or any other in that price range) what is going to make them buy your more expensive plan? All they are going to see is KVM with such and such specs at one price & then the same plan at double the price.

That is all im getting at :)

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited November 2011

@Francisco.

Tell me about it, they wont budge either. So thats LeaseWeb and WorldStream both with the same ridiculous IP allocation policys in the NL.

However.... IntoVPS are based in LeaseWeb, so they must get the allocation some how. If i personally was going to go for NL i would choose SNEL without a doubt, they have some nice pricing on Dual Xeon E5620s with 24GB RAM. And i dont think they are as tight with IPs.

@VMPort RIPE isn't too terrible when it comes to getting direct allocations. They actually allow allocations as small as a /24, infact most/all of the IP space that thrustVPS has/uses is just a crap ton of /24's and they just buy some more when ever they needed it :)

If you're EU based for sure look into getting direct RIPE then you can pretty much light up with whoever you want ;)

Francisco

• Thanks for the advice Francisco

@VMport: yep, that's the point - and maybe that now, the art of VPS is 'how to overcomming without loosing quality' - but I do love the idea of dedicated ressources.

The question is, would some person enjoy that and be ready to pay for it or are they looking for a KVM as oversold (hence cheap) as an OpenVZ...

• Well pretty much all LEB/LET users here are not interested in premium stuff anyway. Hence the LowEnd part...

I would say the only way to truly offer something that is 100% guaranteed, that at least experienced users will know is not oversold is a XEN/SolusVM platform. If you just look around at the main providers you soon notice that OVZ/KVM are in the lower price range and Xen are usually double the price.

• @Francisco

Yep we have been looking into it i know that its a big saver. Our biggest subnet atm is a /25. And to be honest it was a steal, last month RedStation were giving away /25 subnets for just a one off 50 GBP fee.

And now, a few weeks on... 128 GBP/month for a /25. Unreal. Glad we grabbed one when we did.

edited November 2011

Yeah, but I feel like it's a shame for KVM to become the next OpenVZ- but that's maybe the reason why people like it, cause it can be cheap and you can believe that you have a-lot-of-ressources-that-you-will-never-use-but-dude-it-s-so-cool-to-have-1-GB-RAM-for-that-price...

This overselling thing for KVM is a pretty sad move imho, even if that's what the consumers are asking for ('make it bigger' kind of thing?)

• Dont every try competing on price. Compete on quality of service. Some-one is always going to go lower than you and they are usually the ones that end up in the deadpool, just ask Francisco how many people have tried to match his yearly offer and failed miserably.

edited November 2011

Sure, thanks for the advice.

As you offer both OpenVZ & KVM VPS, did you see a difference in customer usage (ressource wise) between the two?

• We offer OVZ and XEN and OVZ is a lot more popular for us, for obvious reasons. Even though our Xen plans are pretty damn competitive on price, i think the other thing you have to look at is, not all users understand the differnce between the 2, so they just look at the price difference. Stuff such as XEN/KVM are usually more the choice of advanced users.

• Stuff such as XEN/KVM are usually more the choice of advanced users.

Oooo, I'm advanced. :)

edited November 2011

yes Xen, sorry :)

So you have a lot more OpenVZ customers than Xen ones?

I'd think that OpenVZ is what some customers would take first to learn some linux/command line skills and that they might move to Xen/KVM later if needed but well, for sure if they can't see/understand the difference it would probably make no sense for them to go for something more expensive.

That would imply that there are just few 'advanced' users on the VPS market..?

And you Francisco, is the demand way highter for OpenVZ than for KVM? (I know that you started to offer KVM not long ago but you might be already see something)

• You said an interesting point VMport: The question could be: will KVM sounds like quality / dedicated ressources in the future, or will Xen HVM sounds like it.

From the KVM offers that are coming in the market and the overselling possibilities, it might sound like crap... who knows.. :/

• drmike said: Oooo, I'm advanced.

I don't think advanced age was one of the choices.

• Anyone interested in seeing nested KVMs? I wonder if people will start selling off those nested KVMs... :)

• @Bitcable said: Anyone interested in seeing nested KVMs? I wonder if people will start selling off those nested KVMs... :)

You mean KVM over KVM? I still want to do that :P

• I have OpenVZ running in one of my KVMs.

• @yomero said: You mean KVM over KVM? I still want to do that :P

I'll be doing that on a test node this weekend.

• Bitcable said: @yomero said: You mean KVM over KVM? I still want to do that :P

I'll be doing that on a test node this weekend.

Brought to you by the redundancy department of duplication.

• @miTgiB said: drmike said: Oooo, I'm advanced.

I don't think advanced age was one of the choices.

I thought it was about advanced arthritis :(

• @VMport said: Dont every try competing on price. Compete on quality of service.

Can we have that posted in red, 24pt Comic Sans at the top of lowendbox.com?

• Can we have that posted in red, 24pt Comic Sans at the top of lowendbox.com?

If I can't have my flashing 96 pixel "Give a frigging ticket number"...