Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS Node with Cachecade
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS Node with Cachecade

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited April 2015 in Requests

Hello,

I need three quotes for the following servers:

8 processor (HT enabled is okay)
32GB RAM
2x2TB HDD + 240 GB CacheCade (Hardware RAID 1)
/27 IP allocation

8 processor (HT enabled is okay)
64GB RAM
2x2TB HDD + 240 GB CacheCade (Hardware RAID 1)
/27 IP allocation

16 processor (HT enabled is okay)
64GB RAM
2x3TB HDD + 240 GB CacheCade (Hardware RAID 1)
/27 IP allocation

I don't have a set budget, although I'm currently paying $100 to QuadIX/VolumeDrive and am willing to ditch them for something better. I don't need any support other than hardware/network issues. The setup time is also important. It should be reasonable (I've been waiting for a week for an Hardware RAID Card to arrive)

Thank you for your attention,
Miguel

Comments

• @ItsChrisG may have something for you, but finding a server @ ~the same price of QuadIX/VD is going to be fairly hard, but then again. Reliability and Customer support would be a LOT better.

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG
  • MrGeneral said: I'm currently paying $100 to QuadIX/VolumeDrive

$100 including Cachecade?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AutoSnipe said:
    ItsChrisG may have something for you, but finding a server @ ~the same price of QuadIX/VD is going to be fairly hard, but then again. Reliability and Customer support would be a LOT better.

Hello AutoSnipe,

Sure thing! I plan to provide a better service, the budget will need to be a little bigger for sure, but in the end it'll be well worth.

We're currently paying $100 for the following:

24 Cores
    64GB RAM (Free upgrade)
    4x1TB Hardware RAID 10 (Free upgrade)
    /27

However, they've been unable to provide a solid network therefore, I need to look elsewhere. I'd hate to provide such a terrible/unstable service for my customers. It's not acceptable by any means.

edited April 2015

@MarkTurner said:

Hello Mark,

The budget is a little bigger for sure! :)

I'd say about 140$ ish.

Edit: I need three quotes though.

• If you are getting those prices from QuadIX with Cachecade, I would stick with it. I really doubt you'll get close to those prices with a decent LSI RAID controller, flash, battery and Cachecade enabler.

@MarkTurner said:
    If you are getting those prices from QuadIX with Cachecade, I would stick with it. I really doubt you'll get close to those prices with a decent LSI RAID controller, flash, battery and Cachecade enabler.

Hello,

Well, Redstation provide this, can you quote anyway?

I'm sure they will be more providers willing to do it.

• We don't offer any Cachecade based products.

@MarkTurner said:
    We don't offer any Cachecade based products.

Thank you, what about flashcade, can you get us the quotes? :)

• We won't be putting forward any pricing. Your expected pricing is way too low and I don't think we'll be a good fit for you.

@MarkTurner said:
    We won't be putting forward any pricing. Your expected pricing is way too low and I don't think we'll be a good fit for you.

Thank you. I think that's due to the fact that I was not willing to pay the $20 server quarterly, nice way to lose a customer. :)

• @MrGeneral - LOL, not that. Just from our PMs in January, I think you'll need support and services that Delimiter wont provide; which will just end up with an unhappy customer.

@MarkTurner said:
    MrGeneral - LOL, not that. Just from our PMs in January, I think you'll need support and services that Delimiter wont provide; which will just end up with an unhappy customer.

Looks like. What kind of support/services have I demanded for?

I even ditched the Cachecade option to get a quote from you: That's alright though, let it go. :)

• Colocrossing is ok?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • earlearl Member

just buy a server from ovh. if you buy in BHS there is no set up fee and lots of options for raid ssd etc.. $21 gets you HW raid with 3x2tb drives.. also lots of ipv4 can be included for free if you pay a set up fee per ip.

@linuxthefish said:
    Colocrossing is ok?

Sure thing.

edited April 2015

@earl said:
    just buy a server from ovh. if you buy in BHS there is no set up fee and lots of options for raid ssd etc.. $21 gets you HW raid with 3x2tb drives.. also lots of ipv4 can be included for free if you pay a set up fee per ip.

Yeah good suggestion, I should check their offers. Thanks! :)

Edit: Still looking for offers, OVH doesn't suit my needs, since it'd be utterly expensive to have 2 HDD + 1 SSD

• earlearl Member

when I had a server at BHS support was decent.. even I called at odd hours someone always picked up.. on the base server $56 upgrade gives u HW raid 2x2tb drives and 2x 300 gb intel ssd! seems like a good deal.. but now im not sure the set up fee stil free or not.

• Have you thought about just going ALL SSD?

How much actual usable storage space can you live with? (think hard, so I can try and get you an ALL SSD machine that you can fit in your budget)

Also dont forget that with SSD you can handle more containers/vps's so more customers to spread the cost over (if cost of server becomes higher).

Thanked by 1MikePT

@earl said:
    when I had a server at BHS support was decent.. even I called at odd hours someone always picked up.. on the base server $56 upgrade gives u HW raid 2x2tb drives and 2x 300 gb intel ssd! seems like a good deal.. but now im not sure the set up fee stil free or not.

Sure thing but it ends up to close to 200 euros.

@ItsChrisG said:
    Have you thought about just going ALL SSD?

How much actual usable storage space can you live with? (think hard, so I can try and get you an ALL SSD machine that you can fit in your budget)

Also dont forget that with SSD you can handle more containers/vps's so more customers to spread the cost over (if cost of server becomes higher).

I have indeed considered it, yes, although I'd need a large space since this is for KVM containers. I'd live to provide a decent available diskspace and the problem with SSD's is that the usable size wouldn't be enough, unless I provide 5 / 10GB only.

• What usable space are you realistically needing?

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

you need to buy in the north american data centre BHS so the set up fee is waived.. comes up to $165/mo in candian funds with the $56 option included.

ovh.ca..

If you buy from ovh.ie you will get charged VAT so total €150.05

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited April 2015

I'm going to send you a private message with a quote for the following machine (based on SATA3 drives and using flashcache with 256GB SSD to get configuration high and price low):

Dual Intel Xeon X5650 Hex Cores - 24x 2.66Ghz

64GB DDR3-1333 ECC Registered RAM

2x 4TB SATA3 7,200RPM Enterprise HDD

256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD

Hardware RAID-1 Controller with BBU

IPMI with KVM over IP and VirtualMedia

Dell R510 Server - 8x 3.5" Hot-Swap Bays

1000 Mbps Public Network Port (Upgradeable to 2Gbps)

1000 Mbps Private Network Port

20TB Monthly Public Transfer (Free Incoming)

/27 IPv4 Allocation - 29 Usable IPs (guaranteed clean)

/64 IPv6 Allocation - Millions of IPs

Talk to you in private chat :)

Thanks, Chris

Thanked by 1MikePT

@ItsChrisG said:
    What usable space are you realistically needing?

I'd say 20GB per customer. About 1TB usable diskspace or something close.

@earl said:
    you need to buy in the north american data centre BHS so the set up fee is waived.. comes up to $165/mo in candian funds with the $56 option included.

I'm buying from Portugal, VAT destroys it, it's more than 165 USD.

• @MrGeneral said:
    I'd say 20GB per customer. About 1TB usable diskspace or something close.

So 2x1TB SSD's in RAID1 would work - let me see what can be done with this config too.

@ItsChrisG said:
    I'm going to send you a private message with a quote for the following machine (based on SATA3 drives and using flashcache with 256GB SSD to get configuration high and price low):

Dual Intel Xeon X5650 Hex Cores - 24x 2.66Ghz

64GB DDR3-1333 ECC Registered RAM

2x 4TB SATA3 7,200RPM Enterprise HDD

256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD

Hardware RAID-1 Controller with BBU

IPMI with KVM over IP and VirtualMedia

Dell R510 Server - 8x 3.5" Hot-Swap Bays

1000 Mbps Public Network Port (Upgradeable to 2Gbps)

1000 Mbps Private Network Port

20TB Monthly Public Transfer (Free Incoming)

/27 IPv4 Allocation - 29 Usable IPs (guaranteed clean)

/64 IPv6 Allocation - Millions of IPs

Talk to you in private chat :)

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Sure thing, that sounds good, it's indeed a nice server :-)

Let's talk in private chat.

• earlearl Member

@MrGeneral said:

ovh.ca not ovh.ie

@ItsChrisG said:
    So 2x1TB SSD's in RAID1 would work - let me see what can be done with this config too.

Sure thing, wouldn't be cheap though, the 2x4TB HDD + 256GB would be cheaper and allows for more diskspace tho, let me know your thoughts.

@earl said:

Got it, thanks mate! :)

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    Got it, thanks mate! :)

not sure if ovh.ca is following the new vat rules cause then you get charged vat based on your residence.. and thing with ovh is the tax is not displayed until the the final order, so hard to guess. but 165 cad is only 120 euros.