Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it important to you for a provider to provide services in multiple locations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it important to you for a provider to provide services in multiple locations?

DamianDamian Member
edited July 2012 in Providers

As stated in the title. Adam and I are discussing buying more hardware, and we were contemplating expanding to other locations within the US.

Do you like to buy multiple locations from the same provider, or would you prefer to go with a different company for a different location?

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

For me, it's more on adding good rep on the provider. Since I prefer having different provider for each location. But if a provider is really good (uptime, trustworthy owners, etc), then I wouldn't mind having the same provider on multiple locations.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian said: Do you like to buy multiple locations from the same provider, or would you prefer to go with a different company for a different location?

Yes and no. It's always best not to have all your eggs in one basket, but if said basket is an awesome super Mc Fantastic basket, then I don't mind having multiple locations with the same provider.

Also, I suggest you hold down fort in NY for a bit. You just moved, and while the community is very supportive, you should re-affirm yourself as a great provider in NY before branching out.

• DamianDamian Member

@telephone said: Also, I suggest you hold down fort in NY for a bit. You just moved, and while the community is very supportive, you should re-affirm yourself as a great provider in NY before branching out

Indeedy, we're still having fun, unexpected teething problems with doing remote colo.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

For me it isn't important that multiple locations are available, but it is important that the location be fitting for the service that it'll be used for, considering the need for a low latency connection for myself or my clients. I'd say two locations is of fair importance for this reason.

• krokro Member

This is how I became to love edis :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

If you have multiple loc... you can move customers to another location if one DC is unstable =)

• namename Member

Not that important how many DC you have, the service support and uptime is my first concern.

• @jcaleb said: you can move customers to another location if one DC is unstable =)

Location, location, location. People pay for the location!
    If I pay for LA, I don't want to be moved to NY indefinitely. As @jarland stated, I choose providers based on my needs, which most of the time is a location close to the client base.

• Location for me is important for a few reasons:

• Latency - being in Australia I'm quite happy for a VPS on the west coast. East coast is too laggy though.
    • Failover - I like having a failover in another DC, doesn't have to be with the same host but makes it easier from a billing POV.
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@telephone said: Location, location, location. People pay for the location!

If I pay for LA, I don't want to be moved to NY indefinitely. As @jarland stated, I choose providers based on my needs, which most of the time is a location close to the client base.

i mean upon request

• bamnbamn Member

Can't go wrong with West Coast, Central US and East Coast.

West = Seattle, LA, Phoenix
    Central = Chicago, Dallas
    East = Atlanta, Charlotte, Virginia/DC, New York, New Jersey

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Diverse locations EDIS-style do make sense,

@Damian said: other locations within the US.

do not.

• Seattle or Denver would be great in terms of what I would like to get. Los Angeles, Chicago, and Atlanta would be great in general.

• Can't go wrong with West Coast, Central US and East Coast.

West = Seattle, LA, Phoenix
    Central = Chicago, Dallas
    East = Atlanta, Charlotte, Virginia/DC, New York, New Jersey

Sure have her relevance, even for the provider itself, ex. showing extra capacity for recover disaster. Two or three locations included EU places is an commercial attractive too.

• anishanish Member

Yes. It matters to me. So that I could setup a fail over system, even if one data center fails altogether.

• rds100rds100 Member

@anish you still have a SPOF then - the provider itself. It is better to setup the failover using different providers.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @anish / @rds100 Just few days ago ColoCrossing had a major issue, a easy solution for webmasters are APIs - Services as Cloudflare + Pingdom give you 10 or 15 min downtime. Practical approach.

• flyfly Member

nope. just make sure your shiz is stable.

stable > multiple locations.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@Damian personally i'd say for your company right now its very very important to concentrate getting your house in order, including emergency planning etc.

Once that is done and you've had a period of a few months with DC moves or general trouble you know its the right time to expand.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@fly said: stable > multiple locations.

stable > *

• flyfly Member

yes, even urmom

• azizmbazizmb Member

I agree with many here. Wait a few more months and build yourself more in NY before expanding to more locations. In my opinion, performance(stability/speed) is more important than what locations (or anything else) the provider can offer.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: stable > *

+1

• I would probably personally use multiple locations depending on what the needs are for my client. For example, an E-Commerce site directed at world-wide traffic would need more resources, perhaps centrally located, while a regionally based site would be more appropriate 'closer to home'.

• flyfly Member

for example, lfcvps expanded to montreal pretty quickly after launching their vps services... obviously their pricing model is a bit higher in addition to their more established shared hosting plan, which may have helped defray the costs of the expansion.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@fly personally I do not know how budget providers can launch into new places so quickly, however it doesn't surprise me that major problems happen when people do things without planning etc.