Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you expect for $50? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you expect for $50?

2»

Comments

• Something like this (which costs 55$/month when you opt in to pay 10€/month more instead of 150€ setup fee)

• Something mildly better than DataShack's $35 deal. Preferably with IPMI/KVM/iLO/other three to four letter acronyms. Especially amazing would be 5-10TB on Gbit on Best Coast.

@FieldMoose said: Oops, wrong forum.

You're right - Craigslist is that way!

• ztecztec Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Something like this (which costs 55$/month when you opt in to pay 10€/month more instead of 150€ setup fee)

Server4you is poison.

• @ztec lulz. I once played around with a S4Y box, felt like it was virtualised on a overloaded box...

Just picked up my first Kimsufi... Not really happy with their custom kernels and distros... Any guides on restoring it?

• $50 For a US location, hmm....

Probably 3-4GB Ram
    250GB-500GB HDD
    1TB - 5TB Bandwidth
    Dual Core CPU
    100Mbps

• ztecztec Member

@eastonch said: @ztec lulz. I once played around with a S4Y box, felt like it was virtualised on a overloaded box...

Performance on mine was 'reasonable' - it's when you hit support you're fucked. Or when support hits you with random bills that don't belong to you.

Server4you is a f*cked up company.
    Server4you is BAD.
    Avoid Server4you!

Please google, pick this up for me.

• Dual Core
    4GB Ram
    ~500GB HDD
    1TB+ Bw
    ~100mbps

• biplabbiplab Member

@eastonch said: Just picked up my first Kimsufi... Not really happy with their custom kernels and distros... Any guides on restoring it?

For CentOS/Scientific Linux try this guide.

For Debian / Ubuntu - Boot into Rescue mode, then partition & format hard disc, mount hdd and use debootstrap to install Debian minimal.

They also install two authorized keys to log into your server as root. This is meant for remote support. But I don't like it. So I reinstalled it to stock OS.

• biplabbiplab Member

@ztec said: Performance on mine was 'reasonable' - it's when you hit support you're fucked. Or when support hits you with random bills that don't belong to you.

I remember I subscribed to their vserver plans on a monthly contract basis. They deducted 6 month worth of money from my Paypal account. When I asked them they told me that they follow that practice even for monthly contracts. In my opinion this is ridiculous. I didn't give it a second thought and cancelled my service immediately. In the end they refunded 5 months pre-payment.

Do note that they mention about this in their FAQ only. Their TOS is silent about this practice.

• biplabbiplab Member

@rm_ said: You can expect your "dual core intel Atom", 250GB HDDs and 1TB of transfers all you want, but for around $50 I see no reason to settle for worse than

Hetzner server comes with 1 ip. To buy additional ip you need to buy Flexi Pack (worth 15 Eur/month) first. Then they will allow you to buy additional ip. All together it comes out about 21.4 Eur/month for 6 ip addresses (minimum purchase). In my opinion this is expensive when I try to create couple of VMs out of that box.

• @JTR said: Personally

deal is great,but "personally" really

read Yesuphost - 2 months - worst experience
    @ http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1171878&highlight=yesuphost

also it seems yesuphosting Temporarily Suspended On WHT

• Does anyone else have any input? Hoping to stay on topic here...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@ynzheng said: also it seems yesuphosting Temporarily Suspended On WHT

Surprising.

@Brandon said: Does anyone else have any input? Hoping to stay on topic here...

For $50 I expect roughly the following: dual core, 2GB RAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD, 5-10TB on 100mbit port. This is assuming U.S. and reasonable quality but not new hardware on a good network.

• For $50:
    dual core intel/4 core AMD
    4gb ram
    2 150gb or bigger disks
    5-10tb bw, 100mbps port
    13 usable IPs

• JTRJTR Member

@ynzheng: There are issues at every provider out there. I personally am impressed and happy, as are the two people who told me about them, and quite a few other WHTers who've written positive reviews.

Anyways:

My server took ~4 days to arrive, which was within the estimate I had been given.

I have seen numerous responses on weekends, weekdays, and odd hours of the night, usually within 30 minutes max.

• I can do dedicated servers! Cheap to. Just have to message me. :)

• @jshinkle said: I can do dedicated servers! Cheap to. Just have to message me. :)

This guy's legit :P I don't really know him, but I heard he's awesome.

• ChiefChief Member

@Brandon said: I am just curious to see the specifications of a dedicated server you'd expect for this price point. This is in terms of hardware and network.

Dual Core Atom
    4GB Ram
    2x 500GB
    10mbit unmetered / 5TB 100mbit port
    /29 IPv4

• ynzhengynzheng Member
    edited July 2012

how about
    https://www.constant.com/order/order.php?PLANID=845

E5506 4MB Cache - (2TB) $59.95/mo

2U Supermicro Server
    Intel Xeon E5506 Quad-Core CPU 2.13Ghz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    1 x 2TB 7.2k RPM SATA Drives
    /29 IP Space – 4 Usable
    5TB on 100Mbit Port

Single Xeon E5506 4x2.13Ghz
    4 GB RAM
    2000 GB (2 TB) SATA II
    No Raid
    Debian 6
    64Bit
    No Control Panel
    No Firewall
    Customer Managed
    /29 IP Space 4 Usable
    5000 GB + Free Incoming
    100Mbit Uplink

100% Uptime
    1000+ Gbps capacity
    24x7x365 Support

• @ynzheng did you go forward with constant.com (choopa)? They seem to have good pricing and even have 1U colo in NJ for 59 (100mbps port).

• https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

AMD Phenom II x4 840
    3.2Ghz
    4 Cores / 4 Threads 8GB DDR3 500GB • 20TB Monthly Transfer
    • Linux/Windows* OS
    • 5 usable IPv4 Address
    • /64 IPv6 Address Block**
    • Remote Reboot Access

Datashack special... tempted to get one myself but I've spent too much on dedicated servers already this month...

Thanked by 1sonic
  • KishKish Member
    edited September 2012

http://joesdatacenter.com/Dedicated_Servers.html

Quality DC and hardware, hard not be pleased by joe