Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for feedback on our OnApp Cloud setup. Free stuff!

ElliotJElliotJ Member
edited July 2012 in General

Now Virt.IO has switched to OnApp Cloud, we're looking to find out a few things as we're trying to improve our level of service for everyone.
To do this, we're offering active LET members a chance to have a 256MB KVM on us, absolutely free with no commitment to buy from us (although, if you do want to continue your plan, let us know)

What we're trying to find out

• We're trying to decide between OnApp's own portal vs. using a highly integrated WHMCS setup.
  • How our SSD set-up holds out under database strain, or Minecraft strain, your choice.
  • If anything's not working as you'd expect, what that is, and how it can be improved.
  • Generally, if there's anything you'd like to see in terms of free/small-fee extras (No pie, no kittens).

We really want these tests to be utilised well, so if I notice you're idling away, you'll get a firm slap from me, personally :3
Seriously guys, please only sign up if you're interested, someone else might really want a go :p

Our conditions for the trial

• We only have 10 slots available.
  • It's a 1 week trial, commencing when you sign up.
  • Only one trial VPS per person.
  • It's only open to active members of the LET community ('cause we love you guys)
  • You're agreeing to our standard terms of service when signing up, viewable here
  • You use the VPS, and let us know how you're getting on in this thread. If you hate it, don't be shy!

VPS details, and how to get one

So! You're still interested after reading through all that, or you got bored of reading it. If it's the latter, please read everything above!

Here's what you'll be gettin'

• 256MB RAM
  • 3GB SSD Storage
  • 100GB Bandwidth
  • The WHMCS integrated control panel
  • Our everlasting love.

To apply for one, simply reply to this post saying that you agree to our trial conditions, as well as our standard terms and conditions, making sure you're an active member of LowEndTalk.

Thanks for reading guys, and I hope you're interested.

Cheers!

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Sure, I'd like to test that onapp.

• I've love to run some benchmarks if possible :)

• I'd like one to test.

• I'd love one to test, and i accept your terms. :']!

Thanks,
    Chris. (UK)

• Droppin' some PMs now! Thanks for the responses :)

• I'm also interested in testing, if you have free slot's count me in please.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

Eek, we're onto it @dmmcintyre3, I'll update you in a mo'. :(

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

Update: Looks like we've found our first OnApp bug. I'll drop you a message @dmmcintyre3, sorry about that.

• May I try it?

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: May I try it?

Absolutely :) Message incoming.

• vahevahe Member

Hey, I'm interested too. Any slots available?

• Am I missing something.. But uhm, it keeps "failing" to do things...

Ref Date    Action  Status
    849 2012-07-26 00:19    ConfigureOperatingSystem    Cancelled
    848 2012-07-26 00:19    ProvisionVirtualMachine Failed

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

Ref Date Action Status
    849 2012-07-26 00:19 ConfigureOperatingSystem Cancelled
    848 2012-07-26 00:19 ProvisionVirtualMachine Failed

If those are the only two items in your log, then that was me forgetting about the OnApp provisioning bug.
    Basically, it gets confused about which template to install, so throws a small hissy fit.

Hopefully, you'll be able to continue as normal from your end, but if it doesn't, let me know.

EDIT: Yup, one of the old OnApp bugs has bitten again, looking into it. Sorry about that.

• It's saying that it's locked.

Actions
    Virtual Machine is locked

And it keeps refreshing... I selected Debian x86 6

• flyfly Member
    edited July 2012

i'm down. hit me up.

• jhjh Member

@eastonch said: Am I missing something.. But uhm, it keeps "failing" to do things...

I can only see the one fail. I'm rebuilding it now.

• It allowed me to start "deleting it" so I deleted the isntance and tried it again.

• jhjh Member

@eastonch said: It allowed me to start "deleting it" so I deleted the isntance and tried it again.

Looks like you're online now :)

• When building the VPS on the panel it appears as pending its status although I already got the confirmation email about it been created.

• Completely online now, running ServerBear's scripts to get a full output of performance.

Initial setup was a bit rocky, however once it's setup, it seems really easy to use, the top bar where I can view graphs, looks a little small and doesnt have enough attention brought towards it for my liking personally.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@thekreek said: When building the VPS on the panel it appears as pending its status although I already got the confirmation email about it been created.

There's 'created' and there's 'created' your plan would've been activated on WHMCS, but still needed to be deployed on the OnApp Hypervisor.

I might have a look at the email templates to clear up the confusion.

@eastonch said: the top bar where I can view graphs, looks a little small and doesnt have enough attention brought towards it for my liking personally.

Onto it :)

• @ElliotJ thanks for clearing up the confusion, it would help a bit to add a small knowledge base.

• +1 @thekreek

Some form of handy "How the @halfeatenpie do i do this?!"!

• jhjh Member

@thekreek said: knowledge base.

http://wiki.virt.io

Let us know if you need any articles which aren't in there and we'll get them written.

• We have a neglected knowledge base that could do with a few more articles actually.
    http://wiki.virt.io/

I'll note down what people are getting most cheesed off about, and write up some articles tomorrow.

• Could that be highlighted on the onapp control area, eg, "Troubleshooting / Wiki Link" somewhere on the page, for people not used to this sort of CP, @jhadley.

• @ElliotJ I talk too fast without checking the whole site before, apologies.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2012

@eastonch it's in the footer of the page, but I take your point, it'd be nice if it was more visible. I'll work that in when I'm fixing up the OnApp navigation links.

@thekreek No worries, we all do it :P

• Ah, i'm tired and i'm looking for things that just shout at me, rather than looking for specific things, knowing that if I ever get stuck, there's a help button, or help page, without actually needed to look for that form of usability... Puts me at ease, as a client / tester. :']!