Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS --> Oracle Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS --> Oracle Linux

syamansyaman Member
edited July 2012 in General

So has anyone been convinced to make the switch?
See this
http://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Oracle.. hell no!

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

I agree, Oracle sucks.

• .... Seriously.

• Interesting however just for Ksplice,

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Would prefer scientific. That said, I can see the appeal.

• flyfly Member

centos sucks in general

Thanked by 2TheHackBox 1q1
  • @kbar said: centos sucks in general

Why?

• @kbar said: centos sucks in general

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • harryharry Member

linux oracle better if include ksplice free :D

• 1q11q1 Member
    edited July 2012

@kbar said: centos sucks in general

yeah, but oracle does suck more.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Genius.

Offer Free Oracle Linux

Watch thousands switch

Charge for updates $$$$

Thanked by 2jar Infinity
  • namename Member

No Way.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

In all fairness I probably would feel more confident in their ability to maintain a reasonable release schedule, but like @FRCorey I don't trust them to not find a way to try to hold me hostage later.

• TazTaz Member

With oracle the only thing I have ever seen that was useful was there SQL. They are pretty much same as hostbill. Do this this month then don't do it next month. Plus why switch from a perfectly good system which is free? If I want to pay, I will pay RHEL. Atleast they ain't gonna change their mind the next day and they don't have that stupid attitude.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Zen said: Sorry, can you actually tell me why Oracle is better? Oh wait..

faster updates?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited July 2012

Yes, we know that this is Oracle, but it's actually free. Seriously.

Damn.

• flyfly Member

almost 90% sure they're not gonna charge for updates. they're gonna make money from support.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@kbar said: almost 90% sure they're not gonna charge for updates.

After many months now of their ksplice acquisition, and seeing no change to my service, I would tend to agree. If paying for support was something I saw in my future, I might try their distro, but since it is the same 100% binary compatible distro as CentOS and Scientific Linux, and I don't see myself every paying for support, I see no need to try it, it is going to be 100% the same.

Thanked by 4jar Infinity Taz tux

/derail

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited July 2012

So I got this Oracle stuff running on a Xen vps. Seems to work pretty good, lets hype up this kernel 2.6.39-200.29.2.el6uek UNBREAKABLE ENTERPRISE KERNEL, with a name like that its gotta be good.

Hope to see some providers offering some Oracle templates / ISOs so I dont have to start from CentOS.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@JoeMerit said: I dont have to start from CentOS.

Curious, how long did that take? Paste in a few commands and walk away?

• Actually I was surprised, it looked like it was going to take a long time but probably
    took 10 minutes tops.

curl -O https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos2ol.sh
    sh centos2ol.sh

and then a yum upgrade or two .. and then a yum install kernel-uek to install the UNBREAKABLE ENTERPRISE KERNEL.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

I switched a test centmin mod CentOS 6.2 install over to Oracle UEK 2.6.39 with MariaDB 5.5 MySQL about 2 months ago for testing and haven't had problems so far. Works very well :)

@JoeMerit said: Actually I was surprised, it looked like it was going to take a long time but probably

took 10 minutes tops.

sh centos2ol.sh

Awesome script there ** thumbs up **

• I decided to put Oracle w/ UEK on one of my main LEBs, seems pretty cool so far. I dont know if it will win me away from Debian/Ubuntu but I'll give it a fair shot.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited July 2012

So, I'm confused: does their so-called “Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel” actually include Ksplice for free, or just make it really easy to plug Ksplice into?

• rumpelrumpel Member
    edited July 2012

Oh, you see. That's why I'm with Debian. No weird -Oracle- (strike doesn't work, meh) company trying to make money out of it.

• @rumpel said: No weird -Oracle- (strike doesn't work, meh) company trying to make money out of it.

Ubuntu is doing the same thing to debian.

• @MrDOS said: So, I'm confused: does their so-called “Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel” actually include Ksplice for free, or just make it really easy to plug Ksplice into?

I was curious about this so I tried to set it up and you need a support account w/ Oracle and a CSI# (Customer Service Identifier.)

• It seems to work ok on OpenVZ with Burst RAM and 2.6.18

• NevilNevil Member

No way for Oracle!

Everything they touch is blah.