Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list...

subigosubigo Member
edited July 2012 in General

I was going to have to let the cat out of the bag at some point, so I figured I'd just do it now. A lot of people have asked why I am selling zensix and if I planned on sticking around after it was sold. The answer is yes, I'm sticking around, and I sold it because I did not want to do level one support for cheap shared hosting clients anymore. I wanted time to work on things I like...

One of those things will be BoxCtrl (openvz panel), which I will own the rights to once again after zensix is sold off completely. In order to fund development on it, I'll be offering server management plans for Open-VZ nodes and DirectAdmin servers (for as little as $49.95/month and it will cover five servers).

There's more information on http://zenssh.com if you hover over the top left link. This is not something that will be launching immediately, but it won't be months of waiting either. If you're interested in the server management aspect of this whole thing, see the site and add your email to the mailing list. I'll only need ten management clients to make this worth my time. Fewer than ten and I won't be able to cut back on other contract work I do. And if a ton of people want to sign up, I'll hire some help or just cap it off at the ten clients.

Comments

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited July 2012

Might be a good idea for a Paypal donation link. Some of us might chip in for Box-ctrl.

• subigosubigo Member

@lele0108 said: Might be a good idea for a Paypal donation link. Some of us might chip in for Box-ctrl.

There will be one once everything is finalized and I'm able to actually get started on things.

• boxctrl sound interesting. Will wait for more info on that.

• Maybe when Box-ctrl supports something other than OVZ, hint hint ;)

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Maybe when Box-ctrl supports something other than OVZ, hint hint ;)

What @GetKVM_Ash means is Xen.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • LMFAO

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Maybe when Box-ctrl supports something other than OVZ, hint hint ;)

It was an open-sourcish project :P. I still have my modified version up and running, had no issues.

I could put my modded version source online, but I wonder if @subigo would mind.

• @MrLawoodle said: It was an open-sourcish project :P. I still have my modified version up and running, had no issues.

I could put my modded version source online, but I wonder if @subigo would mind.

I know but i have zero coding experience, so all i can do is moan and hope somebody else does it haha :P

• PatsPats Member

@MrLawoodle said: but I wonder if @subigo would mind.

i don't mind.. @MrLawoodle :)
    @subigo .. do u?

• subigosubigo Member

@Pats said: i don't mind.. @MrLawoodle :)

@subigo .. do u?

Nope, go for it.

Thanked by 2djvdorp HalfEatenPie
  • Any updates?

• @FRCorey said: Any updates?

I'll launch the zenssh.com site later this week and should be able to start on BoxCtrl again within a week or two.

• Ido you still do openvz management?

• TazTaz Member

@Randy -} Do you need someone? One of my friend does OVZ management.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Sure. hit me up

• TazTaz Member

Shoot me a pm.

• @Randy said: Ido you still do openvz management?

The site is up now, but I'm not taking clients yet. I decided to finish out my contract with Google before I start anything else. It ends next week.

• There was definitely not enough interest in the management side of things, meaning I'm not going to spend any of my free time working on a panel for nothing. Consider this thread dead (please don't PM me about it). Sorry.

• It's called build the panel and charge, quality product will make you money.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @FRCorey said: It's called build the panel and charge, quality product will make you money.

It's called I'm not going to spend three months of my time working each day to build a panel if I'm not immediately getting some kind of income coming in. That and I don't want to be in the monthly-licensed-openvz-panel business... I want to be in the open-source-side-project business.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Set up a kickstarter for it. Worst that can happen is you don't meet your goal.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • Make a thread to request fundings for this opensource project. I am sure users will glady fund this

• @Zen said: You want to work on opensource products and make money? O_O

No. I needed something to fund the amount of time it would take to build another panel. I already do server administration for other companies, so figured I'd offer a "cheap" administration plan on LET, and if enough people were interested, it would fund the time it would take me to create it.

The panel is just something a lot of people have asked me to do, so I figured I'd take on some extra work and do it. But not enough people were interested in the administration plans I offered, so I'm not going to bother with the panel. Something like that is almost a part-time job and I know from experience I would end up spending at least 20-30 hours a week on it.

I don't want the panel itself to be my job or the way I make money. End of story.

• Coming to LET offering server managing isn't the best idea.

Have you tried WHT?

• @lele0108 said: Have you tried WHT?

People on WHT aren't the ones who want me to build the panel. I only did this because people on here wanted me to. I don't really care one way or the other if it ever happens.

• @subigo said: People on WHT aren't the ones who want me to build the panel. I only did this because people on here wanted me to. I don't really care one way or the other if it ever happens.

It's a tough sell on LET. 99% of us know how to install DirectAdmin and manage it, along with OpenVZ.

I'm really sad to see that you're unable to create the panel. :/.

• @subigo ... I think the general MO of the community here is that they want everything for nothing.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Corey said: @subigo ... I think the general MO of the community here is that they want everything for nothing.

>

Talk shit about a community but you will continue to post your adverts won't you.

Thanked by 2Randy Taz
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I think it is a wrong approach.

The mass of the users here do not need openVZ management. However most of them would donate. Why not just making a donate paypal button or a kickstarter project and you will see how much you would get. You might not be able to get 10 users pay 50$, however 20 paying 25$ is still the same.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Taylor I didn't think I was 'talking shit'... Was just saying it's a particular market that you can't sell a $49/mo server management package to.