Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible to use MySQL's InnoDB engine on 128MB VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible to use MySQL's InnoDB engine on 128MB VPS?

XeoncrossXeoncross Member
edited July 2012 in Tutorials

Hello everyone! Long time no-see! :)

I have a problem for you. MySQL's InnoDB engine uses +80-110MB out-of-the-box. So I disable it and use MyISAM (which runs fine in 24MB or so). I also use PostgreSQL since it runs in 30-40MB.

However, since I'm not a DBA I've never really tried hard enough to figure out if there would be a way to get InnoDB functioning in 50MB or less. Can anyone verify if this is possible?

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 1M
innodb_log_file_size = 1M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 2M`
Thanked by 1yomero

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited July 2012

I did have a VPS once with 128MB Ram which has InnoDB installed, however it did have BURST Ram

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

I think rule #1 is to disable InnoDB when installing MySQL on a really low memory box.

However, I'm pretty interested in seeing if you can get InnoDB to work on a LEB and what the performance would be like.

@Jeffrey How intensively did you use the database and did it hold up?

• @AsadHaider, and that's the assumption that I wanted to challenge if possible. All of us disable it, but is there a way we could actually use it?

• Have you tried the Percona build of MYSQL?

• Could be possible. On a 1GB OVZ vSwap @ PieServ:

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
    4057 mysql     20   0  517m  37m 5780 S  0.0  3.6   0:00.10 mysqld

(That's adding in the options in your first post to my-small.cnf that comes with MariaDB.)

• harryharry Member
    edited July 2012

when hits and dead or slow motion page :D

• @AsadHaider I just had an installation of WordPress running, so not intense. It also had 256MB Burst Ram.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2012

@Jeffrey, Wordpress uses MyISAM which means that even if InnoDB is loaded, it isn't in use and resource consumption doesn't grow past the initial +80MB. In fact, Wordpress is the only reason I even install MySQL since (up to now) I've never been able to use InnoDB.

• i don't care about mysql, innodb, 128MB VPS, but i just want to say WELCOME BACK @Xeoncross !!!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

try use it on box with vswap.

• We missed you @xeoncross

Thanked by 2yomero Infinity
  • yomeroyomero Member

@djvdorp said: We missed you @xeoncross

+1

• Aww, thanks guys. I'm glad to be here.

Thanked by 1djvdorp