Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An UPDATED Opinion of SolusVM v.s. Virtualizor? (as of 3/18/15 & recent updates/releases)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

An UPDATED Opinion of SolusVM v.s. Virtualizor? (as of 3/18/15 & recent updates/releases)

So guys -- how about an updated opinion and versus comparison of SolusVM and Virtualizor as of March 18th, 2015 with both of their latest release versions new functions/features/bugfixes...

Your objective comparison / opinions if you could start fresh with one or the other right now?

I am in that position now for a certain something and I am sure many others would find this helpful as well!

Comments

• I will say Virtualizor is better because it has much more features & support which actually helps when compared to SolusVM.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vpslegend said: I will say Virtualizor is better because it has much more features & support which actually helps when compared to SolusVM.

Seconded.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wychwych Member

Virtualizor responded to my mails when I was first looking between them, Solus did not; thus Virtualizor got my custom.

• Thirded. I've had a couple issues with Virtualizor support, but hopefully they get better and better. Virtualizor is also way easier to set up rDNS with.

Some things you have to worry about with Virtualizor is that features such as mass IP management, and some convenience tools don't seem to exist. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me how to remove a /27 or something... The only way I've found is to click "x" manually 200 times...

While since you're ChrisG, I'm assuming a small difference in license cost doesn't matter that much since the scale of your deployments will be much larger than a small startup, but it's still worth noting that Virtualizor is cheaper when bought from the official source (and from resellers)

• wychwych Member

Jonchun said: (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me how to remove a /27 or something... The only way I've found is to click "x" manually 200 times...

Did you add it as a /27 range in IP Pool or as unique IP's? I could have sworn (been a while 2.6.3< since I have) but if you remove the range in IP Pools it also removes the IP's (provided they are not in use).

Jonchun said: I've had a couple issues with Virtualizor support

+1 but they do try and ultimately have done all the requests/features I have asked for.

• @wych said:

I added the /27 range in the pool. However, when trying to remove the pool, it gave me some errors. I'll have to try it again though. Even outside of that though, they need to have a better list view for the IP page... it's just way to clunky when you're dealing with a lot of IPs.

• wychwych Member

Jonchun said: they need to have a better list view for the IP page... it's just way to clunky when you're dealing with a lot of IPs.

+1, I am hoping its one of the aspects they are re-designing with the new admin changes they have introduced in the last few updates.

Jonchun said: when trying to remove the pool, it gave me some errors

Strange, I never had issues removing ranges.

• @wych said:
    Strange, I never had issues removing ranges.

Could be completely my fault. I didn't try to fix it extensively or anything as it wasn't urgent. It might be something as stupid as having a VPS assigned an IP belonging to the block I was trying to remove. If you managed to do it successfully, I probably just did something stupid.

• SolusVM 2 looks sexy in the previews, OnApp's support can only make it better, but there's two sides to each, like I'm not a fan of Virtualizor, but others don't like SolusVM, and then you have some people who dislike OnApp for some reason so it's down to your own choice.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited March 2015

Solus for OpenVZ

Virt for KVM

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

@Jonchun said:
    Thirded. I've had a couple issues with Virtualizor support, but hopefully they get better and better. Virtualizor is also way easier to set up rDNS with.

Some things you have to worry about with Virtualizor is that features such as mass IP management, and some convenience tools don't seem to exist. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me how to remove a /27 or something... The only way I've found is to click "x" manually 200 times...

While since you're ChrisG, I'm assuming a small difference in license cost doesn't matter that much since the scale of your deployments will be much larger than a small startup, but it's still worth noting that Virtualizor is cheaper when bought from the official source (and from resellers)

We use Virtualizor and it's great. Multiple suggestions of mine have been implemented so they do listen.

You can remove IPs easily through configuration -> phpmyadmin and there is a table called 'ips' within the virtualizor database. You can then use sql commands or whatever to mass remove as each ip pool has a number in a column which makes it easy. I do agree that a less complicated method should be created within the admin area itself though.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited March 2015

Any more firm ETA / previews / feature introductions for SolusVM v2 recently?

Will it have backup/restore of VPS's?

• wychwych Member

@ItsChrisG said:

Someone mentioned June/July in a thread somewhere but nothing concrete IIRC.

Thats the million dollar question.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited March 2015

@It'> @ItsChrisG said:

@wych said:
    Thats the million dollar question.

On the What's coming Blog post it says:

Reliable Backups

Creating a dependable, intelligent backup system is almost an art form in its own right, as many of you will know from experience. It’s high time SolusVM included a backup system that’s reliable and intelligent enough to alert you to possible errors, control I/O levels and support incremental storage.

Now we’re a part of OnApp we have the resources at hand to bring you that ultimate backup system.

http://solusvm.com/blog/whats-on-its-way/

I know Ditlev and Phill don't lie so you can be sure'd that it's coming and I would say it would restore as their SolusVM moving script does it for the Vz containers.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

+1 For Virtualizor Undoubtedly. SolusVM sucks !!! They couldn't configure My IP Routing & also they don't have XEN Templates Ready ! I have to pay, pay and pay but I get nothing !!!

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    +1 For Virtualizor Undoubtedly. SolusVM sucks !!! They couldn't configure My IP Routing & also they don't have XEN Templates Ready ! I have to pay, pay and pay but I get nothing !!!

I agree I use virtualizor for xen too and I have to say they are better than solusvm and well @licensecart dropped selling virtualizor licenses which I think really isn't smart considering how many people like virtualizor compared to solusvm(and their pricing scheme) and how you can install xen hvm or xen pv or kvm, etc. on the master in virtualizor where you cannot do that on solusvm only ovz which costs too much and I prefer hardware virtualization so +1 for virtualizor.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

@timnboys said:

+1

• NickMNickM Member

Given those two choices, I would have to say Virtualizor. We've been working with the Virtualizor team for several weeks now to identify showstopping issues (showstoppers for us, at least), and they've been pretty responsive with fixes and very open to suggestions.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Virtualizor, you will know why after 1st month of usage

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use both, they both have their issues and you would not want to live on the difference, frankly I would go solusvm because the new version should be a vast improvement and if it is a let down virtualizor has a solusvm import feature so you cant lose :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I use both, they both have their issues and you would not want to live on the difference, frankly I would go solusvm because the new version should be a vast improvement and if it is a let down virtualizor has a solusvm import feature so you cant lose :)

Would you mind go into more detail about the Virtualizor issues? Currently looking to migrate our OVZ to Virtualizor.

• RaidLogicRaidLogic Member
    edited March 2015

We prefer solusvm, will need to give Virtualizor a test.

• @timnboys said:
    well @licensecart dropped selling virtualizor licenses which I think really isn't smart considering how many people like virtualizor compared to solusvm(and their pricing scheme)

We had 4 licenses in a year, it's not as popular (or just for cheaper prices) as people make out which is why we're surprised LicensePal sell them now.

• @Licensecart said:
    We had 4 licenses in a year, it's not as popular (or just for cheaper prices) as people make out which is why we're surprised LicensePal sell them now.

It's gaining popularity now. SolusVM was a clear winner for the last year.

tragic said: Would you mind go into more detail about the Virtualizor issues? Currently looking to migrate our OVZ to Virtualizor.

Well it was not designed initially to have a master/controller so everything is clearly designed to be per server in the interface, now they have moved to master/slave (like solusvm and literally any virtualisation product ever made) it feels forced together and the admin interface is a bit of a mess in terms of navigation and duplication.

The error messages are terrible, if something goes wrong all you will get is "There was some error" and that is it.

It has the ability to hang your WHMCS as well as itself if you have a connection error for any reason to a node.

But honestly I could list 20 things about solusvm that annoy me as well so there is nothing in it, the major difference being that we know a new version of solusvm is coming out and it is a MAJOR rework done by the OnAPP team which we would probably all agree is a superior product to both virtualizor and solusvm so it makes no sense to start with virtualizor and then go to solusvm when the new version is released in a few months as you are going to have a hard time migrating properly.

While if solusvm v2 is a dogs dinner you can easily migrate to virtualizor, its a win/win.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well it was not designed initially to have a master/controller so everything is clearly designed to be per server in the interface, now they have moved to master/slave

Wow I can't believe I've hard they've gone that way haha people was all over not needing more than one license haha. Suppose they need money one way or another.

@AnthonySmith said:
    a new version of solusvm is coming out and it is a MAJOR rework done by the OnAPP team which we would probably all agree is a superior product to both virtualizor and solusvm so it makes no sense to start with virtualizor and then go to solusvm when the new version is released in a few months as you are going to have a hard time migrating properly.

Agreed, SolusVM and OnAPP is the best thing ever :) Two great companies working together.

@AnthonySmith said:
    While if solusvm v2 is a dogs dinner you can easily migrate to virtualizor, its a win/win.

Hopefully it's not but people have that way so that helps.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Thanks for the detailed description. I appreciate it.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    It has the ability to hang your WHMCS as well as itself if you have a connection error for any reason to a node.

Never had this issue. If you share it with us, we would be happy to look into it.
    About the error messaging I believe the whole thing is in the rework with advanced tasking capability.

@virtualizor said:
    About the error messaging I believe the whole thing is in the rework with advanced tasking capability.

Check your tickets I reported it 6 months ago

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

+1 Virtualizor