Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 Alternatives? Need a solid DNS service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 Alternatives? Need a solid DNS service.

JonchunJonchun Member
edited March 2015 in General

I just signed up and tested Rage4, and while I'm loving all the features, it seems the service is missing wildcard MX records. (their faq has a feature request for it and it is marked completed, but it doesn't work)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a DNS service that supports the following?

Required:

• Vanity Nameservers
  • Wildcard MX records
  • Has been in business for a while

Preferred:

• HA/Anycast
  • Cheap pricing

Or would you guys suggest I just run my own DNS using cPanel? (on multiple nodes of course)

Also, does anyone here have experience with rage4? I literally JUSt signed up with them and added my domain and my "current usage" has jumped to over 1200 out of 250000 in the last hour (this is a brand new domain registered a couple days ago with no traffic)

Comments

• cassacassa Member

The support slowness is indeed pretty slow. Still pretty much requests from 2013 haven't been answered.

I haven't been able to find something yet, seems like most DNS software don't support wildcard MX.

• fazarfazar Member

Personally, I will recommended NSONE.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @cassa said:
    The support slowness is indeed pretty slow. Still pretty much requests from 2013 haven't been answered.

I haven't been able to find something yet, seems like most DNS software don't support wildcard MX.

I found https://pointhq.com/ which supports it. I'm just looking for a couple more suggestions before upgrading to their paid plan (which supports custom/vanity nameservers as well)

• Why don't you use Power DNS with 2 or 3 slaves with Mysql replication. I am using this setup for couple of domains and really happy with performance. But I don't know if it support wildcard MX

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @praveen said:
    Why don't you use Power DNS with 2 or 3 slaves with Mysql replication. I am using this setup for couple of domains and really happy with performance. But I don't know if it support wildcard MX

Would be more expensive than a 3rd party DNS provider. If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Jonchun said: If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

Yes, I never felt the need to manage my own dns, even when they were down briefly, I am sure i would have made more mistakes and caused more downtime than specialized people which work on this at their day job.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I'll check the wildcard MX issue, if it's not present we will add it within 24h

Thanked by 2Chronic cassa
  • @gbshouse said:
    I'll check the wildcard MX issue, if it's not present we will add it within 24h

Great. I've actually signed up for a paid account at a different provider (PointDNS), but I'll be sure to check on Rage4 later on. Definitely looks like a solid service.

Another thing to check on your end or perhaps a feature request would be to see where all the dns requests are coming from. In under an hour I had over a thousand requests and it was rising steadily. (at that rate, i would have been invoiced for a lot more than I wanted to as it would have broken 250,000 free very quickly)

• DNSmadeEasy offers everything that you want and had 100% uptime for like 5 years or so.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Jonchun said:
    Would be more expensive than a 3rd party DNS provider. If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

Regarding the cost it works well with two low end VPS servers
    Regarding the need to mange it .. this depends.. for me I like to play with it and have couple of idle VPS. Another thing is that I can manipulate the DNS records easily using MYSQL queries.

Rage4 is a good choice and I am using them for some important clients and of course perform better as it is anycast.

• Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

• You don't need powerful servers for DNS. Unless we're talking about thousands and thousands of domains you can easily run e.g. NSD on lowest end VPS.

That said, I'm afraid that distribution/resilience and features are what drives prices up. Classical scenario: You need DNS for a couple of domains and standard feature set, no problem, cheap, maybe even free. As soon as you need enhanced features or a non trivial number of domains it quickly turns into a "business class" thing.

Maybe helpful: If you have many domains with quite identical setup some DNS servers (e.g. NSD) offer you a way to use templates making your job easier. Those who don't offer that can still be easily handled, albeit with somewhat more (one time) work using $INCLUDE directives.

In case you wished to chose that path I can offer some practical help (or advising, as you please) - (for free as long as it's not more than an hour or so of work).

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2015

@tr1cky said:
    DNSmadeEasy offers everything that you want and had 100% uptime for like 5 years or so.

Wow. I misread their pricing. For some reason I thought their pricing was monthly instead of annually. Now I'm regretting my current choice :P

On an unrelated note, I don't like Rage4's pricing model... If I'm understanding it correctly, they're asking a euro/month for every zone I add? o.o

@fitvpn said:
    Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

This is what's wrong with LET.

• @bsdguy said:
    You don't need powerful servers for DNS. Unless we're talking about thousands and thousands of domains you can easily run e.g. NSD on lowest end VPS.

That said, I'm afraid that distribution/resilience and features are what drives prices up. Classical scenario: You need DNS for a couple of domains and standard feature set, no problem, cheap, maybe even free. As soon as you need enhanced features or a non trivial number of domains it quickly turns into a "business class" thing.

Maybe helpful: If you have many domains with quite identical setup some DNS servers (e.g. NSD) offer you a way to use templates making your job easier. Those who don't offer that can still be easily handled, albeit with somewhat more (one time) work using $INCLUDE directives.

In case you wished to chose that path I can offer some practical help (or advising, as you please) - (for free as long as it's not more than an hour or so of work).

This is really just for one domain. (which is why I'm leaning towards a 3rd party provider)

@Jonchun - we charge only for zones which exceeded free usage tier

• @gbshouse said:
    Jonchun - we charge only for zones which exceeded free usage tier

So the request tiers are per zone and not per domain?

• @Jonchun said:
    This is really just for one domain. (which is why I'm leaning towards a 3rd party provider)

OK. Unfortunately I can't help you with tips for providers as I do not use any DNS providers. But yes, at first glance Rage4 looks expensive for many domains (caveat: I didn't have a closer look).

Picking up some names I heard here, namely dnseasy and nsone I've heard good things about both of them, both performance and realiability wise. They would also be high up on my list if I needed that kind of service.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @bsdguy said:
    Picking up some names I heard here, namely dnseasy and nsone I've heard good things about both of them, both performance and realiability wise. They would also be high up on my list if I needed that kind of service.

Thanks a lot for your tips. If my situation changes, I'll be sure to hit you up :)

@Jonchun zone != domain, you can have multiple zones per domain (for example if you delegate subdomains so they can be managed separately). In most cases it's 1:1.

• @gbshouse said:
    Jonchun zone != domain, you can have multiple zones per domain (for example if you delegate subdomains so they can be managed separately). In most cases it's 1:1.

Yea I got it. I need some sleep :P Hopefully you guys get the mx stuff working soon.

@Jonchun - support for wildcard MX is now available

• @gbshouse said:
    Jonchun - support for wildcard MX is now available

I may switch back to Rage4 then! :) There goes the $6 I spent already.. guess I'll skip a big mac~

• @fitvpn said:
    Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

Cpanel DNS management is a little strange, and your provider might decide to randomly reset your domain for whatever reason.

You can edit the zone file directly if you have WHM access, but again your provider might get a little fussy and delete your custom records.

• I use cPanel DNS hosting over a years, nothing reset or not working, all depending which provider you pick up.

• I have used DNSmadeEasy the last 8 years, no issues at all with them. And their prices is not bad at all.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

I used freedns.afraid.org and still using. While it was not without downtime over the years, i can count about 1 a year which was total (not only slow resolve) or more than an hour. Everything else i needed is there, it even gives you the cron to paste with the key for a subdomain in the dynamic IP case. In some 10 years+, i can say it was rock solid for free.

I only needed basic service, though.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Been using cloudns.net for some of my domains, seems to work ok.

• vyalavyala Member

cloudflare is good as well, anyone faced downtime with them? I use it for DNS, rest are with KeyCDN (https/http), only own Origin server.

• Try Google Cloud DNS or Amazon AWS

• utamautama Member

NSONE is pretty good.