Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualization on your laptop - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualization on your laptop

Comments

• Not really. The atom can compete with the ALU of some Pentium 4 (3ghz maybe and not HT) and Athlon 64. But the FPU is just a piece of crap. Take AIDA64 (Previously Everest) and do some tests, is worst than a Pentium 3 probably

• KuJoe said: It's funny because I use my Intel Atom 230 server as my production server at home and my dual AMD Opteron server as my development one. :)

eHarmony did a press release of how they saved money and gained a huge performance increase by moving from "Cloud" to Intel Atom Dedicated Servers.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

There was an excellent thread on WHT about some ideas of fitting 80+ servers into a single 42U cabinet using Intel Atoms. Before I started Secure Dragon I had been planning on creating an Intel Atom cloud just for the heck of it since you can pick up servers for about $400 and fit 2 servers per 1U with a proper cooling setup. :D

OMG, so sorry to get so off topic. :(

• Nah, is funny :D If you have the money, try and we will glad to test it :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@VPSfan So do I, I usually use at least 4GB RAM.

• Infinity said: How much does it cost? My uncle gave me a license code that works nicely (: YEAH :)

Got it from a local retailer, about $80 one-time.

My friend has been a VirtualBox user for a long time and tried so hard to get me to convert away from VMWare... well last week he switched from VirtualBox to VMWare Fusion and hasn't looked back.

• I am using VmWare workstation in a desktop (Core i5, 2.7Ghz, 4Gb ram).
    Sometimes I open 6 WinXP OS at the same time. Sure I think I need more RAM.

Other problem is: I need more IPs (different ones).

Like people wrote here: vmware player is free and you can download some VMs in some places, without problem.
    I want to test more options, specially because I want to use them FIRST to, AFTER, try to pay for a VPS. For example: I had problems to use a CentOs... I could not use GUI.
    It was cheap, about 2.5$ (Egypt), but never worked like I wanted.
    I want a VPS to use with GUI, to learn more about the GUI... etc.

I am planning about to buy a new Core i5 with about 8Gb ram to make at least 10 VMs working at the same time.

In the company that I work we have Firewall blocking a lot of ports.. so I can not test things like I want (for security reasons...)

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited October 2011

im using virtualbox and the only problem i had was yesterday with ReactOS, some drivers missing. otherwise no problems, i gont play games so not sure about graphics

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have frequently used Virtualbox on my laptop. The only problem I've found is that if the host exports NFS to the guests, things can go south if they use it heavily (kernel oops and errors in dmesg). I've seen that with Vbox for at least a year's worth of versions.

I've run KVM on an Atom laptop (Acer Aspire with Atom 570 & 2GB of RAM). Ran great and it was small enough to almost fit a coat pocket :-)

• Maybe off topic but Microsoft brings in Hyper-VM as standard feature in Windows 8, so everyone can do Virtualization on their computer in near future:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx

• Well i work in a development house before and most of them went for virtualbox even for myself, testing VMs makes it much easier. import and exporting too.

Virtualbox have faster I/O as compared to the rest. Also the support for open-source seems wider for a free software as compared to vmware player. You can easily import and export VMs in .ova format. It has wide support for reading virtual hard disk too, .vdi, .vmdk, etc.

You almost install any o/s that you can think of. BSD, Linux, Windows and so far the only thing i havent manage to get it work on is Mac OSx.

• correction to Nordic it is Windows Hyper-V which used to be Windows Server Virtualization and not hypervm.

@cripperz it seems mac osx guests is supported but only on mac osx hosts

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

wow, i just got a vmware, what a fool i was before - using virtualbox and thinking its good......... VMWARE > VBOX

• Well actually depends on individual users to their needs. Of course if you are using it in a corporate environment, you dont wanna have issues with licensing yet needing the features, then virtualbox is still the top choice among others isnt it

• VirtualBox is awesome..I use it to test new distro's and developer previews.

• Ok... I would just like to add my 2p's worth. I do work in IT and do quite a lot with virtualisation. So here goes, avoid hyper-v like the plague, it works ok on a single machine, but once you get into clusters and things it sucks (probably not relevant, but worth bearing in mind if you want to scale things out of your single laptop). ESXi is great (and free) if you want a bare metal solution (again probably not relevant). I use virtualbox for a couple of Win 7 Thin PC builds, it's free and, as mentioned, the feature list is great. I loved VMWare server, however, it is now a dead product. VMWare player is great providing you don't want advanced features snapshots.
    Michael

• Virtualbox snapshots are my point too... but long time I didn't try anything else. Should I?

• xenickxenick Member

I would suggest KVM/qemu, it runs virtual box and vmware images as well as its own format, the nifty qcow2 which allows AES encryption and also raw binary images. You will need a laptop virtualization capability AMD-V or the intel VT.
    Read more at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Installing_QEMU

• xenickxenick Member

I would suggest KVM/qemu, it runs virtual box and vmware images as well as its own format, the nifty qcow2 which allows AES encryption and also raw binary images. You will need a laptop virtualization capability AMD-V or the intel VT.

• I run hackintosh, debian on my Probook, old VMware..

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Double post? Somebody's looking to increase their post count!

• petrispetris Member

@xenick said:

Was there a point to digging up a 3 year old thread?

• xenickxenick Member

@petris Yes.
    First, I added my two cents; an opinion is valid regardless of the age of the thread.
    Someone might looking at tutorials and read what strikes his fancy, as was my case, again the age of the thread has nothing to do with it.
    Second, was there a point to your comment? shouldn't you be eating your porridge? or learn to hold a spoon or something?

• For those above trying to say Atom's can compete with other processors; remember this:

Since they have a relatively low on-die cache, context switching is HELL on the actual processing for a multi-user system.

• petrispetris Member

@xenick said:
    petris Yes.
    First, I added my two cents; an opinion is valid regardless of the age of the thread.
    Someone might looking at tutorials and read what strikes his fancy, as was my case, again the age of the thread has nothing to do with it.
    Second, was there a point to your comment? shouldn't you be eating your porridge? or learn to hold a spoon or something?

For everyone else...

• xenickxenick Member

@petris in other words, it was a pointless comment.

• petrispetris Member

@xenick said:
    petris in other words, it was a pointless comment.

Nope.

• RalliasRallias Member

Well, I use virt-manager/KVM on my Linux install and VirtualBox on my Windows install. It's just a VM. Nothing special.