Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

Hehe, yeah... I can't remember a dedi provider that had a PXE boot menu to reinstall your stuff. I want something like that. This iLO/vnc/VMware-style to reinstall servers is a mess.

• PatsPats Member

if u mark a Ticket as Emergency its shown as "Priority: 911"
    :)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • How can I improve the disk I/O of VMWare machines? Here is what I got from a Debian VPS installed on the dedi:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    1221+0 records in
    1221+0 records out
    80019456 bytes (80 MB) copied, 339.979 s, 235 kB/s
    ^C

• AsadAsad Member

@zhuanyi I'm going to try KVM/OpenVZ to see if that has any better results.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@zhuanyi I'm pretty sure ESXi needs special drivers and/or possibly a custom ISO provided by HP. On this, however, I'm really not joking about how horribly contradictory and redundant HP's website is. I gave up.

• AsadAsad Member

@jarland Yeah, there is a special ESXi ISO for HP servers, I've got a HP Proliant at home which I use for ESXI dev.

@zhuanyi Install this: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

Thanked by 2jar zhuanyi
  • Agreed, their website is terrible...

Arghhh...just wasted a good part of my day installed 4 virtual machines...time wasted, LOL

@jarland said: I'm pretty sure ESXi needs special drivers and/or possibly a custom ISO provided by HP. On this, however, I'm really not joking about how horribly contradictory and redundant HP's website is. I gave up.

• @teknixpt said: Updated ilo, system bios, changed raid strip to 16k and couldnt get past 56mb/s

How did you update iLo? My firmware management button is greyed-out for me

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: How did you update iLo? My firmware management button is greyed-out for me

Hmmm, not sure if you need to boot with the remote console, then modify privileges for your user. After that probably you will be able to upload a new firmware.
    Otherwise... have you tried the "browse" button and select the .bin file?

And btw, I wasn't able to use this method. I tried 3 times and "failed". I did it from my Debian install.

• I think this is where the problem would be:

Configure iLO 2 Settings: Prohibited

• @zhuanyi said: How did you update iLo? My firmware management button is greyed-out for me

As yomero said, the easy way is to reboot from remote console, hit F8 to configure ilo and change your profile to admin, or.. you can install hp utils and do it from comand line (as i did, the hard way lol.)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @teknixpt said: As yomero said, the easy way is to reboot from remote console, hit F8 to configure ilo and change your profile to admin

Ha, I can make myself the admin? That's good, I'll try it!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Okey, their sales team never responds, but they have a good support team. So far 20 emails exchanged, Both HDDs changed, RAID chaged, OS reinstalled (yes, I am way too lazy to use the ILO) and now they are swapping my blade, cause of the IO performance. The support answers in the matter of minutes.

• @Pats said: used debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso

first error - Missing firmware files - bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-5.0.0.j3.fw ,
    skip it then face another
    No Ethernet Card was detected.

Asked Support to install Debian6 64bit .

There was no need to do that. Get this iso with integrated drivers.works like charm ;)
    i killed the infamous raid 1 and im installing again on raid 0

here..http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/

Thanked by 1yomero
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited July 2012

F11 to accept and continue the installer, but every time I click on F11, my IE window goes to full screen...anyway to disable that?

EDIT: Solved by set F11 as a hot key, LOL

• Also the direction keys don't work, does any one of you know how to enable it? This iLO is really hard to use...

• yomeroyomero Member

And I've installed in a single drive... :P

Direction keys work here in Firefox on Mac and Windows.

• @jarland said: Direction keys work here in Firefox on Mac and Windows.

Can you use Firefox with remote console? Mine was disabled when I tried to run in FF, got a message saying only IE is allowed

One requires IE, another works in both. Forget which one it is, there's like 3 options.

• @jarland said: One requires IE, another works in both. Forget which one it is, there's like 3 options.

Trial and error for me then, thanks a lot

• yomeroyomero Member

The last ones are java stuff (I haven't tried btw).

I am having lots of fun with proxmox !!!

• @yomero said: I am having lots of fun with proxmox !!!

May be that's what I should do as well...wasted one whole day and still installing, LOL

• @yomero said: The last ones are java stuff (I haven't tried btw).

@zhuanyi said: Trial and error for me then, thanks a lot

The last two are Java-based, though "Remote Console" is probably the one you want. Java-based, worked for me in Opera and Chrome (and IE)

• earlearl Member

@yomero said: I am having lots of fun with proxmox !!!

They installed Proxmox for you? When I requested it they said it was not compatible with the hardware..

• dwilddwild Member

Each day when I see this thread I always think it's new stocks :(.

• yomeroyomero Member

@earl said: They installed Proxmox for you? When I requested it they said it was not compatible with the hardware..

No, I did it

Thanked by 1earl
  • bdtechbdtech Member

How's proxmox going? What size ram vms did you create? Decent IO?

• earlearl Member

I changed the cache ratio to 100/0 read/write and changed the SCSI Controller in vmware to "LSI Logic SAS" now I get 107-118 MB/s