Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

@Pats said: anyone else tried installing Proxmox ?

I want to try it too, but probably I will from an existing Debian installation.

• PatsPats Member

@yomero said: I want to try it too, but probably I will from an existing Debian installation.

yeah i'm also taking that route now... downloading debian 6 iso...

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

used debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso
    first error - Missing firmware files - bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-5.0.0.j3.fw ,
    skip it then face another
    No Ethernet Card was detected.

Asked Support to install Debian6 64bit ...

• my story is: i'm a windows guy, all my life been on microsoft machines, but lattely i wanted to start learning linux. So, long story short.. i got my box 3 days ago.
    1st problem (noob)- i asked it with debian 6 32bits , and ended up noticing i was about 500mb short.
    googled a bit and installed bigmem kernel , and problem solved!
    now, reading all this thread, up to the moment i've managed to gain admin access to iLo.
    updated ilo to version 2.9
    changed Raid accelerator cache ratio to 0/100 (R/W) , was 50/50. Did this the hard way, from console using hponcfg cli commands :) this upped my disk speed from 51 to 56mb/s (dd test)
    Next step is updating system bios to latest version. i have a 07/2009 version installed and will flash latest 12/2011 (wish me luck)

in between, i installed EHCP panel to manage some domains i'll be hosting and drop some LEB vps i had.

sorry for bad english and greets from Portugal

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@teknixpt Unfortunately I don't think the 0/100 cache setting had any effect on increasing write speed. I read that it was successful for someone else, but like you I only saw an increase that is easier explained as a generic fluctuation from one dd test to the next.

• probably not, but while we keep thinking it had effect, we learn some more stuff.
    if i thought it wouldn't make any difference, i wouldn't have learnt anything today.
    btw, have you tried lowering the chunk strip size of the array? any improvements?

@teknixpt said: have you tried lowering the chunk strip size of the array?

I've not. Have you found how to change it? The setup tool offered me about as many solutions as a power button.

• that is my next move, after i update system bios.
    i made a diagonal read, but i guess i can find the answer here http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/hpacucli-readme

• PatsPats Member

@Pats said: used debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso

first error - Missing firmware files - bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-5.0.0.j3.fw

@yomero Support responded: Here is a link to download Debian 6.0.5 64bit with the firmware - http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.5/amd64/iso-cd/
    downloading now..

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I've found myself decently happy after upgrading iLO to 2.09, flashing A13 05/02/2011 BIOS, and reinstalling CentOS no less than nine thousand and one times, and installing 3.4.6 from ELRepo for shits and giggles.

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.5446 s, 79.3 MB/s

with one drive - not sure if that's good or bad, but whatever.

(Managed to get Minecraft working, too.. turns out someone decided they were going to WorldEdit in a huge block of TNT and didn't tell anyone.)

@ihatetonyy That is perfect for one drive. Fuels the idea that the raid controller is the problem.

• @jarland said: That is perfect for one drive. Fuels the idea that the raid controller is the problem.

FWIW, I was getting ~50MB/s in Debian with kernel 2.6.32, though that was also before updating BIOS. I have no idea if the kernel/distro/BIOS have anything to do with it or if it's just an odd coincidence. Could be worth looking into?

• yomeroyomero Member

@ihatetonyy

Any quick manual about how to update the Bios? I've searched a little bit and I only get Windows stuff
    Also, do you messed with the RAID controller or the disks firmware?

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: I've not. Have you found how to change it?

You can change the strip size of the array, enable write cache, etc using "HP ProLiant Offline Array Configuration Utility" chose the first option on boot as it gives you a GUI.. also make sure in iLO you click on the tabs once in a while so that you don't get logged out cause it will take a while for the HP utility to finish booting.. you will know if you get logged out of iLO cause then remote console will suddenly change to offline and the HP utility will not complete booting..

Link:
    HP ProLiant Offline Array Configuration Utility

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited July 2012

@yomero said: Any quick manual about how to update the Bios? I've searched a little bit and I only get Windows stuff

I downloaded this and extracted the EXE using 7-Zip. You're given a billion options to flash the BIOS, but I just mounted the ISO, rebooted, did it that way.

Here's a direct link to the ISO if you don't want to deal with any of that nonsense. It boots into DR-DOS and gives you the option of reading release notes, rebooting without flashing, and flashing. Took a total of ten minutes or so, from mount to finish.

@yomero said: Also, do you messed with the RAID controller or the disks firmware?

I haven't bothered since I only ordered one drive.

• earlearl Member

You can upgrade the iLO2 firmware from the administration tab in iLO..

• @earl said: You can upgrade the iLO2 firmware from the administration tab in iLO..

If only updating BIOS were that easy.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Cmon, they replaced the drives for a speed of 45MB/s. Now the new IO is 34MB/s. This must be a joke from their end ;/

• earlearl Member

@LiquidHost said: Cmon, they replaced the drives for a speed of 45MB/s. Now the new IO is 34MB/s

Is that with Raid?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@earl said: Is that with Raid?

Yup.

• @LiquidHost said: Cmon, they replaced the drives for a speed of 45MB/s. Now the new IO is 34MB/s. This must be a joke from their end ;/

Dang dude you got bad luck.

They replaced drive with 50 to a drive with 65 but it was both in Raid 1... So I mean 65 isn't that bad for some small sites or something

• @ihatetonyy , i guess that kernel/distro wont make that kind of difference.
    as for myself, so far i gained nothing but crumbs.
    Updated ilo, system bios, changed raid strip to 16k and couldnt get past 56mb/s
    I guess i will forget raid 1 and merge them into raid 0 to get extra juice .
    some offsite backup will do the rest.

• yomeroyomero Member

@teknixpt said: I guess i will forget raid 1 and merge them into raid 0 to get extra juice .

Mine are at raid 0 and I get around the same 55-60

• @yomero said: Mine are at raid 0 and I get around the same 55-60

You sir need to get that checked out.

Honestly that's fine I/O for almost any task. Just feels like they're dangling more in front of us with the drive specs.

• yomeroyomero Member

@HalfEatenPie said: You sir need to get that checked out.

I will try to rebuild it
    Or move to single drives =)

BUT, currently I am unable to install Debian because for some reason the server is rebooting when I push Enter in the main menu install. After that it loads some of my files, and then goes black and reboots.
    I wonder if something is bad, or if I will be able to do it with the advanced license and mapping an URL to a virtual drive (doing it from home is slooooow).
    Any idea how much costs the advanced license? I mean, after the trial... Or I can get another trial? lol :D

I mount my ISO from a vps6 windows vps.

• @yomero said: BUT, currently I am unable to install Debian because for some reason the server is rebooting when I push Enter in the main menu install. After that it loads some of my files, and then goes black and reboots.

Wait what? They have a server install menu?! :O

And cost of what license. I feel like I just had a brain fart

• yomeroyomero Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Wait what? They have a server install menu?! :O

No no. LOL
    You boot a Debian iso and it shows a menu. That one.

And I am talking about the iLO licenses.

• Oh.

way to get my hopes up... @yomero jerk! :(