Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100% Uptime Expected - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100% Uptime Expected

2»

Comments

• Thank you Aldryic we may end up doing some things like that.

• +1 for anything that communicates with your clients. Wish all providers realized how important that was.

• @KuJoe -- let's be honest: Amazon's cloud is nothing to write home about. Performance, reliability, price etc, etc, etc -- all not great. They haven't been anywhere close to 100% uptime for the last 3 years. They've had multi-day outages in multiple 'area's or 'zones' or whatever they're called several times.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

I understand that, but Amazon's cloud is still the industry standard for comparison from what I've experienced. I'm not saying they are the best because as it's been said already, finding any place that guarantees 100% uptime is near impossible and even with millions of dollars invested into their infrastructure, Amazon cannot get it right.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited November 2011

Even with the best hardware and staff in the world stuff happens. In this world of mass production it is inevitable. You can not guarantee any electronics for any amount of time. Case in point my brother works for Ford as a mechanic. A truck came in with a bad alternator. So he sent for a new one. The new one came he put it in and it was junk also. He did this three more times before a good one came in. All of these were from a Ford factory in Michigan. Not from a third party dealer.

You can provide for every conceivable scenario and still have problems. No one or nothing in this world is 100% perfect. If everything was then a lot of people would have no jobs. 100% uptime is unattainable if you have to reboot the server even once there it goes out the window.

• Yes 100% is truly impossible. However, at the other end of the spectrum high availability is possible. The site that pays my and my coworkers bills has only had about 15 minutes of downtime in 2011. In 2010 it was over an hour.

That didn't come cheap or easy.