Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miniature Markdown Guide
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Miniature Markdown Guide

lioncolalioncola Member
edited July 2011 in General

This is a quick crash course; for a full syntax guide, you can see http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax. Many other ways exist for marking up each of the examples.

Code blocks' first lines may be indented. Assume text you see starts at the beginning of the line.

Headings can be denoted with 1 or more equals signs beneath.

heading
=

heading

Horizontal rules can be denoted with 3 or more asterisks.

Links can be denoted with square brackets enclosing the link text, and parentheses enclosing the URL.

[link](http://example.com/)

link

Ordered lists can be denoted with numbers followed by a period. The actual numbers don't matter.

1. example
2. more examples
90. even more examples
  1. example
  2. more examples
  3. even more examples

Unordered lists can be denoted with asterisks, plus signs, or hyphens. Your choice of any of these three will not affect the display.

* list item
+ more list items
- even more list items
  • list item
  • more list items
  • even more list items

Text can be italicized with single asterisk, and made bold with two.

*italic* **bold**

italic bold

Backslashes can be used to escape unwanted behavior.

\*not italic\*

1337\. Not a numbered list.

*not italic*

1337. Not a numbered list.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Oh how I miss BBCode. :(

• Personally, I like Markdown; it's more compact and the syntax isn't too radical.

• Yes I like Markdown too. That's how people would normally take notes in a plain text editor anyway. For example prefixing the line with an asterix to indicate bullet point, and use asterix around words to emphasis.

I'm rarely involved with forums so BB code seems quite foreign to me.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2011

Lets hope this sites markdown isn't as funky as the last one.

• drmikedrmike Member

Real men use HTML :)

(...and Lynx. :)

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited July 2011

@drmike, I totally agree. The text parser I wrote works on real HTML DOM structures and has code markup highlighting. Supports two levels of content parsing: dangerous (for comments) and safe (for site admins) to post anything they want.

Plus, you can "un-edit" your posts back to the text you had originally without having to store the parsed text and the original text both.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited July 2011

I have an idea. Why don't we just use HTML since that's what's accepted on the net instead of a third party system that many folks don't understand?

edit: Appears HTML works fine in the sigs. At least there's that.

• Simple HTML should work fine, since Markdown just adds some extra formatting instructions on top of HTML.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited July 2011

test post

Google

As if they need more SEO.

edit: Guess so. Thanks

• Your text here

Wondering about colors

• <"color:#FF8040">More sample text

• <color=#FF8040>One last try

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

LowEndAdmin said: Simple HTML should work fine, since Markdown just adds some extra formatting instructions on top of HTML.

Yeah, thats what I did for the code, I did pre tags. and miTgiB I dont think color is a html tag. Try font with the color attribute (that is outdated tho).

• I gave up on the color tags, but pre might be the way to go

• KuroKuro Member

When I used span tags with style attribute they were removed from my post by the forum software, however I found that using the outdated font tag with color attribute the forum software automatically changes it to the modern span tag with style attribute in the page source.