Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darn Cloudflare, it has always been down for the past few hours and the past few days.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Darn Cloudflare, it has always been down for the past few hours and the past few days.

Hi,

I thought Cloudflare is really reliable. They have been constantly down randomly for the past few hours and the past few days. The reason why I am using it is because of the Flexible SSL feature as well as the Minification of CSS, JavaScript etc.. other than that, yes they really suck.

I think it would really be a good idea to use ClouDNS or Rage4 from Prometeus.

Thanks.

Comments

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

You can try Incapsula. They have free plan, but SSL supported only on paid one.

• i left cloudflare months ago to incapsula. very happy with incapsula. cloudflare gives more down time than any of my vps

• Cloudflare.com is indeed often down, but it has nothing to do with customer sites being down, in fact I haven't seen a downtime in the last 3 months, I only saw a slowdown for European traffic for a couple of hours once.

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited February 2015

@namhuy said:
    i left cloudflare months ago to incapsula. very happy with incapsula. cloudflare gives more down time than any of my vps

How to add domain? They force me to upgrade to premium plan instead the free one because they said something about SSL.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited February 2015

@giang said:
    How to add domain? They force me to upgrade to premium plan instead the free one because they said something about SSL.

They "force" you to upgrade" Oh, how SAD it must be to pay for a useful service and to be able to use it.

They will also be so SAD to lose you to a competitor so you can go abuse their service for FREE and then COMPLAIN about it online.

I haven't experienced any actual downtime with CloudFlare. It must suck that you cant login to the online portal to add more domains to further use (abuse) the free system?? (sarcasm).

How many domains are they hosting and how often do you have to add domains that you would be so injured by the portal being down?

You are adding that many domains, and making so much use of their system -- but you still complain, even though it has all been for free until recently?
    I havent even noticed that the portal has been unreachable.

Thanked by 2k0nsl vimalware
  • @giang said:

They provide free SSL on all their plans, including the free one.

• cloudflare needs new VPS to host cloudflare.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited February 2015

incapsula does not provide free ssl. cloudflare does though

• @ItsChrisG

I just ask him how to add a domain to incapsula. Did I say something bad?

• @giang its pretty simple. your sites may have ssl enabled thats why incapsula ask you to upgrade

• I have purchased also the pro version and still the same crap. I think this works good only for USA.

• CloudFlare is trying to do their best, but it's hard for them. Often receive an alerts about 522 timeout errors from different locations.

• Weird. I had 0 downtime with CF.

Thanked by 2netomx ATHK
  • remember, What we know of. Cloudflare is the only FREE service that can support 400> gbps ddo's attacks and still be able to deliver the target's site.

Proof? Spamhaus and OVH incident.

Ofc this does not apply for their free plan but its still out there.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Makkesk8 said: Cloudflare is the only FREE service that can support

Ofc this does not apply for their free plan

huh?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Anyway Cloudflare Free and Pro plan doesn't really block DDOS attack, even for incapsula. You need to be on Business plan.

• @xDragonZ said:
    Anyway Cloudflare Free and Pro plan doesn't really block DDOS attack, even for incapsula. You need to be on Business plan.

Oh, that's why all the fraud sites that get attacked all the time use CloudFlare free.

• xDragonZxDragonZ Member
    edited February 2015

@tr1cky said:
    Oh, that's why all the fraud sites that get attacked all the time use CloudFlare free.

They actually don't block some of the attacks, such as advanced SYN attack, unless you on their business plan. Of cause all those script kiddie type of attack will get blocked.

• Hello,

I forgot to inform you guys, that's why I replied even though it is a bit late.
    I am now with Rage4 through Prometeus and I use Incapsula instead of Cloudflare.
    Recently, I am interested with evaluating different CDN providers.

Both services from Rage4 and Prometeus provided me the best and fast customer service ever! KeyCDN's customer service is also fast but not as fast as Rage4 and Prometeus. They are both like having a chat with them.

Thanks for helping me out, everyone.

• If you want an informed choice on a CDN based on reliability and performance check here. They monitor around 20 cdns from 30 something locations around the clock.

https://mo.nitor.me/fastest-cdn/

• @wojons said:
    If you want an informed choice on a CDN based on reliability and performance check here. They monitor around 20 cdns from 30 something locations around the clock.

https://mo.nitor.me/fastest-cdn/

Thanks. Btw, I thought CDNLion was cheap. It's not. lol.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited March 2015

I gave up on using DNS providers to protect your websites against attacks i.e Cloudflare and other types of service like this, The only one I haven't ticked off my list to try is Googles Project shield which is currently in beta and invite only.
    Don't get me wrong they're a cheap and easy way setup protection and slight speed increases but personally find that the DNS and service is slower and less reliable than just getting a heavily protected server and using google dns, Or something which is fast and reliable to resolve.

MonsteR said: I gave up on using DNS providers to protect your websites against anything, Don't get me wrong they're a cheap easy to setup option but personally find the DNS is slower and less reliable then just get heavily protected servers.

Please rephrase, I am not sure what you mean.

• @Maounique

I edited my comment to make more sense.

Thanked by 1Maounique

I understand now, but that kind of protection is not intended to really work if you are up against some serious s**t, it will work for the regular kid though.

• @MonsteR said:
    I gave up on using DNS providers to protect your websites against attacks i.e Cloudflare and other types of service like this, The only one I haven't ticked off my list to try is Googles Project shield which is currently in beta and invite only.
    Don't get me wrong they're a cheap and easy way setup protection and slight speed increases but personally find that the DNS and service is slower and less reliable than just getting a heavily protected server and using google dns, Or something which is fast and reliable to resolve.

Get a server with DDoS protection or another IP with DDoS protection.

• As it's a shared IP I imagine that it's quite well protected, just not actual layer 7 type http flood attacks, there is sometimes that cloudflare-nginx error with too many connections from attack...

• @linuxthefish said:
    As it's a shared IP I imagine that it's quite well protected, just not actual layer 7 type http flood attacks, there is sometimes that cloudflare-nginx error with too many connections from attack...

I agree. It is better to get a dedicated server with DDoS protection, a custom DNS service and Incapsula to block out the bots.

• I have the business plan on two of my website, 100% uptime even though many large L7 attacks

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited March 2015

@Makkesk8 said:
    remember, What we know of. Cloudflare is the only FREE service that can support 400> gbps ddo's attacks and still be able to deliver the target's site.

Proof? Spamhaus and OVH incident.

Ofc this does not apply for their free plan but its still out there.

I have observed the entire attack on spamhaus and cloudflare was disrupted. Cloudflare published an article where they said that it was not them but the Internet Exchange points which were attacked but I can tell you that the script-kiddie was only targeting cloudflare.The operators of the exchange points also confirmed that no such things had happened.

Anyway, I would not use cloudflare for political reasons but I have no seen their network going down very often, it seems pretty stable.