Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 6 vs Ubuntu 11 for 256Ram LEB

dantesdantes Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hey,

I can't decide. Which of the above should I pick? What are the main differences between ubuntu and debian?

Thanks

Comments

• Well Ubuntu is Debian based :P

Personally, the reason why I choose Debian over Ubuntu is because (usually) on initial install Debian uses up less RAM than Ubuntu. Also some people state Ubuntu is too bloated (but I think it just works for other people).

• Debian!

• The reason i choose Debian over Ubuntu is because Debian is more conservative with their packet management, so you don't have to login every day and do 10 updates.

Thanked by 1tux
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

installing mysql server on ubuntu is such a PITA

• rds100rds100 Member

Ubuntu is just broken debian. So i'd go with the less broken thing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Both are fine. The main difference is how they manage their repositories, which is a preference for most people, and quite frankly not one that even matters to most people. But if you ask a bunch of old time unix nerds, Ubuntu is "hipster" (aka marketed to the end user) and is therefore significantly inferior.

Thanked by 2djvdorp HalfEatenPie
  • is this a real question? i wont use ubuntu if i really don't need them.

• Use Debian 6 for less memory usage :)

Most of my vps is using Debian 6. One of them is using Ubuntu 11 for the IPv6 testing purpose

edited July 2012

I've got a Ubuntu template running on 3mb of memory so it's not an issue of using less memory, but one of laziness simply installing Debian 6 minimal templates which more OpenVZ providers have better versions of than their Ubuntu counterparts because they'd rather not take the time to make one. Just the way it happened, no good reason.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Use Debian 6 for less memory usage :)

Most of my vps is using Debian 6.

Same here, but ppl say ubuntu is more friendly to newbies, tho that matters for desktops. I would say start with debian, it should work.
    M

• AndriAndri Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: Ubuntu is "hipster"

Then Debian is "retro". And I'm a retro. :D

Thanked by 1jar
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Andri said: Then Debian is "retro". And I'm a retro. :D

What would a CentOS fan be?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2012

Neither Debian nor CentOS are retro, the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware.

Thanked by 3Maounique Andri ska

@gsrdgrdghd said: Neither Debian nor CentOS are retro, the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware.

Yep, but even I dont use that, and I started with 3.1...
    M

• @jarland said: Both are fine. The main difference is how they manage their repositories, which is a preference for most people, and quite frankly not one that even matters to most people. But if you ask a bunch of old time unix nerds, Ubuntu is "hipster" (aka marketed to the end user) and is therefore significantly inferior.

Hell no, Arch is hipster, the awkward Linux distro. :3

On topic though, Debian all the way.

• I don't think you would see any difference between Debian 6 and Ubuntu 11 other than Ubuntu 11 having software packages that are more current.

• AsimAsim Member

Why not compare with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

• yomeroyomero Member

Yesterday I was fighting with that crapppppp ubuntu.

Each day they add another layer to the sound system stack or wtf??? Is so complex and harder to debug. I prefer Debian and alsa, period.

On topic, both will use around the same RAM.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: the only retro Linux currently in use is Slackware

edited July 2012

@yomero said: Each day they add another layer to the sound system stack or wtf??? Is so complex and harder to debug.

I had once a problem with cmus, just got rid of pulseaudio and it worked...
    Sometimes it is just better when it's simple.
    But this is desktop stuff, sorry for derailling again :P
    M

Your linux installations have sound?

;)

Yeah, my home server has sound as I listen to bbc through bluetooth 24/7. I mean it is always on, I just turn on the headphone or the speakers when I eat for example.
    M

• IsaiahIsaiah Member

Debian 6 vs. Ubuntu 11 for a 256RAM. — Debian would be the right choice for many reasons. In simple, you'll just have to try it to know the difference(s).

Thanked by 1yomero
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Debian for server, Ubuntu for desktop. I tried Ubuntu on server and it eats so much memory compared to debian.

I think there was some problem there. Ubuntu should not take much more ram as a server than debian. If you are over 15% more or so, something is wrong or the conditions are not the same.
    M

Ubuntu 12.04 minimal - 3mb ram
    Which like takes more memory again? ;)

• harryharry Member

prefered debian than ubuntu, when you run a server use debian

• nunimnunim Member

Debian 32 bit I find to be the best platform for low end vps, it consumes little memory, has apt-get (my favorite package management system). Packages are stable but sometimes a bit older, I will use Ubuntu when I require more current package versions without compiling from source/using testing repos.

• @nunim said: Debian 32 bit I find to be the best platform for low end vps, it consumes little memory, has apt-get (my favorite package management system). Packages are stable but sometimes a bit older, I will use Ubuntu when I require more current package versions without compiling from source/using testing repos.

Add Debian sid and you have the latest and blazing packages.

• yomeroyomero Member

@MrLawoodle said: Add Debian sid and you have the latest and blazing packages.

Too complex, and most time dependencies break lot of stuff.
    Better to look for: