Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking at Email alternatives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking at Email alternatives

ArtDecoArtDeco Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hello

So I don't want to use thunderbird or my server's email software. I like Gmail's interface but not their privacy policy.

What do you recommend for an email service?

Thanks in advance

Art

Comments

• TazTaz Member

AOL!!!!!!!!

• AmfyAmfy Member

Zimbra?

• Ok. Let me rephrase the question. Any web mail providers that are suitable for hundreds of
    emails per week ( both in and out ) with a good interface, security, and privacy policy?

Can be either free or cheap. Why do you use whatever you use?

ArtDeco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Horde on own qmail server. because it works.
    handles like 100 accounts with some 100 gb stored, 2000+ emails a day, deals with spam and scans it for virus. Can have OCR for pictures, block lists, keeps track of everything in and out if needed, can sort it on some criteria etc.
    But only half of the accounts are horde only, the other half use pop/imap. At times is slow, but it runs on a virtual machine with 1 GB ram.
    Multi domains, aliases, out of office messages...
    M

Thanked by 2ArtDeco qwerty6666
  • AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

Zimbra is great, and use Postbox email client or the Zimbra web interface.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Pats
  • @ArtDeco said: I like Gmail's interface but

postbox +1

Thanked by 1ArtDeco
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Email is easy. Antispam is a pain. That's the main reason I use GMail.

Thanked by 2Taz vedran
  • AndriAndri Member

@raindog308 said: Antispam is a pain.

Uncle G privacy police is a b*, but I still use it anw because of this. For more "important" matters, use Horde, simple and easy. :)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Last night I switched from @msn.com to @me.com just to have a better sync between my iDevices. And yes I love it, single account for email, calendar, notes, store, etc..

• Windows Live Domains/Admin Center (or whatever the hell they're calling it) is really nice. I'm only using it for a small personal domain at the moment and I haven't the slightest what their privacy policy is, but it's worth looking at.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

yes iirc you can add unlimited email accounts to that, google apps free only can add up to 10?

• @ihatetonyy said: Windows Live Domains/Admin Center (or whatever the hell they're calling it) is really nice.

It lacks important features like aliases.

• Encrypted disk on a KVM VPS with roundcube.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • I bought an account from Tuffmail and have been using their Roundcube webmail as well as thunderbird for client mail. All work fine.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

How about paid google apps email service?

• klikliklikli Member

Roundcube. Haven't checked them for years but yeah, their interface is one of the most AJAXified ;-)

• Google apps is the don of email :)

• PresbytisPresbytis Member
    edited July 2012

What about fastmail.fm? they have some interesting offers.

Sadly, that bird is extinc now t_t

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If you have no issue with hosted web mail per se, have a look at http://www.gmx.com/. The interface is very good, and last time I checked, they had a better privacy policy than Google did.

Thanked by 1ArtDeco
  • Also try mail.opera.com, the mother company of Fastmail.fm.
    they offer a pretty good webmail for free.

Thanked by 1ArtDeco
  • syamansyaman Member

Fastmail.fm

and also try hosted OpenExchange via Namecheap from $3/year
    https://www.namecheap.com/email/email-hosting.aspx

• ztecztec Member

What's wrong with snailmail?

• Thanks people. As always, I am amazed at the quality of responses here at LowEndTalk.
    I use horde on a shared server with Tbird now, but don't want to manage a mail server and spam filter on a vps. Postbox looks interesting and I'd not heard of it before.

• innyainnya Member
    edited July 2012

I use free zoho mail (lite) for business user.

5GB Mail Storage /user
    Push Mail, Mobile Sync
    Email Support

https://www.zoho.com/mail/

Thanked by 2ArtDeco telephone
  • So I decided to set up a medium security site with Gmail and the rest of the Google Apps for friends and family and keep my important mail on my shared server as I have been doing. Kind of a PITA really, but this whole "data in the cloud" thing still confuses me enough that I can't convince myself to trust it.

Thanks
    Art

• tommytommy Member

I use roundcube, postfix, dovecot as my mail server, and dont have problem sync with my mobile phone.
    btw glad you have found your solution.

• em client is a very nice home email client.