Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndPing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndPing

NikkiNikki Member
edited July 2012 in General

Just a small website I was working on, servers might not all be 'lowend' providers, but they will give you a decent ping if you need to look for something at that location.

http://lowendping.nikkii.us

Note: Traceroutes from Montreal are currently broken, and cause the page to hang.

If you want to add a provider, upload this PHP script to a webserver and message me a link to the script (http://yourip/lep.php or similar) along with the provider name and location.
http://paste.ee/r/XDaeE

Comments

• PADPAD Member

Backconnect.

• NikkiNikki Member

@PAD
    This is what I came up with in the day that I was working on this, it might not be the best, but it works pretty well.

• TaylorTaylor Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Seems to have died.

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited July 2012

@Taylor I had a problem with the ping script earlier, I messed up a really simple check (count($out - TRACEROUTE_LIMIT) is invalid, duh, fixed in newer)
    Waiting on them to update it now :P

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Nikki - I really like it, but after submission, the "working" buttons becomes unclickable.

Regards

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited July 2012

@rsk - Yeah, it's supposed to be that way.
    I have a little bug with the queue system now, I have to rewrite most of this later with a better method... the 'php' idea was good but it means taking up FCGI children for requests...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hmm, seems to be stuck after I entered a URL.

• NikkiNikki Member

@LiquidHost - It's all javascript, so make sure you allow it on the page, and it might take a few minutes to execute, depending on the load

@Nikki said: @LiquidHost - It's all javascript, so make sure you allow it on the page, and it might take a few minutes to execute, depending on the load

Yeah JS is enabled, I will just let it run for a couple of minutes.

• Thumbs up from me!

• TaylorTaylor Member

Sent you a PM about a location (:

• We really should have the mods start a consolidated list of ping/traceroute sites. The community does have quite a few requests and it's going to help a lot.

http://i.imgur.com/vjBJ7.png - still loading for 30 minutes. Tried re-sending the reqeust as well. It is weird, the first 2 times I tried it it was working absolutely fine and fast. Now it is just stuck.

• I like it-Well done! It seems to take about 50% longer for San Jose results to appear.. not sure why

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

traceroutes with a

< center >
    alignment look tremendously stupid.
  • NikkiNikki Member

@rm_ I have to rewrite part of the backend soon, I'll see what I can do :p

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Can it prefer IPv6 if an AAAA record exists or direct IPv6 is input? Most of the providers seem to offer IPv6 you are using.

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited July 2012

@miTgiB No, I was trying to think of the best way to do that... it only detects IPv6 addresses using filter_var

If you have any idea how I should implement it on the web side, please share :P

• welldone,thanks

• NikkiNikki Member

Added a few more servers for a total of 13 now :)
    Tomorrow I'll work on adding server selection, so you can choose the locations to ping from instead of using all of them, and also clean up the code... A LOT.

Excellent, traceroutes are no longer centered, much nicer to look at!

@Nikki said: Added a few more servers for a total of 13 now :)

Think of a way to utilize other people's servers for running traceroutes from your system. E.g. make a small PHP script people could install on their server, that would do ping/traces when requested by your system and send back results.

• vedranvedran Veteran

This is a bit weird ...

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

PING google.com (74.125.236.136) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from bom03s02-in-f8.1e100.net (74.125.236.136): icmp_req=1 ttl=44 time=291 ms
    64 bytes from bom03s02-in-f8.1e100.net (74.125.236.136): icmp_req=2 ttl=45 time=294 ms
    64 bytes from bom03s02-in-f8.1e100.net (74.125.236.136): icmp_req=3 ttl=45 time=292 ms
    64 bytes from bom03s02-in-f8.1e100.net (74.125.236.136): icmp_req=4 ttl=45 time=293 ms

--- google.com ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 291.773/293.137/294.529/1.216 ms

• RobertRobert Member

I was working on a similar site, traceit.info but haven't got round to having results come back from multiple sites yet.

I have to say, I like yours more :-)

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited July 2012

@rm_ That's what it does now, it requires PHP to wait for it all though, which means it ties up a FCGI/CGI process... It's all non-blocking on my side, so it's not too bad, but on the servers it might not be the best...

Edit: Should be a bit better when loading servers now, Echoing on page load and just resetting them between queries rather than constructing them every query

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Nikki said: Edit: Should be a bit better when loading servers now, Echoing on page load and just resetting them between queries rather than constructing them every query

Good show!

• @Nikki, PMd you about having two of our servers added to the list.

• jayjay Member

Ace.

• @Nikki, The pinger seems to be down (clicking ping or trace does nothing). It appears to be an issue in the ajax.php file (as far as I know anyway).

Should be able to mark checkboxes which servers you want to utilize, like on http://lg.he.net/

Also let me know if you're interested in adding a Japan VPS to the list, and PM me the script which I will need to install.

• @rm_, the script is in the original post.