Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help us with Beta testing - Free KVM VPS for testing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help us with Beta testing - Free KVM VPS for testing

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited July 2012 in General

Hello,

So the past 5 days were way too long. Problems kept appearing one after another with my new provider (Talking about Limestonenetworks). Anyway, finally everything is resolved and I am ready to move the KVM testing from my dev server to a production server and I was hoping that you guys can test it out for 10 days, do whatever you want with it and in the meantime review the performance and give me feedback and suggestions on improving the quality.

It is planned to release a new line of KVM beta servers along with other new improvements, on my first anniversary after 1 whole year in the hosting industry. So far I have been testing it in a clsoe enviroment, without other users on the node, now I was hoping to see how the things work out with 10-20 users on a production node.

The node itself is:
E3 1230 v2
16GB of RAM, ready to be upgraded to 32GB if needed for the testing
4x750GB WD HDDs in hardware RAID10

The beta plans are:
Hdd Space: 50GB
CPU Cores: 4
RAM: 512MB
Bandwidth: 400GB
Port: 100mbps

Upgrades are possible, just include your reason for additional resources in your request.

A couple of things that are important as well:

• This plan comes with absolutely no SLA or uptime guarantee
  • This package will be cancelled and terminated on 28th of July 2012.
  • Please do not keep absolutely no valuable data on this VPS, as random data-loss might occur. We should not be held responsible for any data loss.

And finally the order link:
https://liquid-solutions.biz/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=51

The ISO's are:
CentOS 5.8 32/64 bit netinstall
CentOS 6.3 32/64 bit netinstall
Debian 6 netinstall
More can be added on request

And apologise for my bad English

Comments

• Stress testing allowed?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@joodle said: Stress testing allowed?

Preferably not atleast at the begining, as I asume that everyone that signs up would start doing different benchmarks. Maybe in a couple of days if you are still up to it?

• flyfly Member

.biz ?

• May I have one?

edited July 2012

@kbar said: .biz ?

The .com domain is myne as well and redirects to the same website. Anyway, the thread is about something else, hoping not to get the thread derailed, atleast before I get a couple of results and feedbacks.

@ErawanArifNugroho said: May I have one?

Yes of course, just sign up through the link in the begining :) It should be delivered automatically.

• flyfly Member

either vnc or debian netinstall is crashing a lot and is really slow... might wanna take a look

• VNC Kept Crashing for me; the one on Solus anyway. I got debian installed fine.

• flyfly Member

yeah vnc kept crashing for me as well.... and apparently partitioner is frozen

edited July 2012

Did you by any chance use the "back" button to get on the control page for the VPS? I found out that on my side if I kept the page opened (the one for VNC), it does not close.

Debian install works fine, just tested it.

@kbar said: partitioner is frozen

Can you elabore this? As it seems to be installing fine?

• flyfly Member

first time it crashed saying something about sockets or w/e... second time it just hung at the place where you select locales, and right now it's moving 1% per 5 or so minutes on partitioning the disk.

@kbar said: first time it crashed saying something about sockets or w/e... second time it just hung at the place where you select locales, and right now it's moving 1% per 5 or so minutes on partitioning the disk.

This is extremely weird. I will make sure to check the VNC thing, if possible to take a screenshot or just copy the error the next time it appears, as it has not happened to be
    About the HDD, it gets weirder as I have just installed debian without a problem, but I did use standard partitioning.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I want IF you let me to install a win3.11 image =) hahaha

@netomx said: I want IF you let me to install a win3.11 image =) hahaha

Sure, link me to the ISO. I wonder how 3.11 looks.

• I'll do a full review later / tomorrow..

Here's the freevps bench test.

root@kvmbeta:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3300.220 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 501 MB
    Total amount of swap : 979 MB
    System uptime :   6 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.94MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 5.10MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 4.45MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 434KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.11MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.42MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.08MB/s
    I/O speed :  80.6 MB/s

• TaylorTaylor Member

They went out of stock quick /;

@Taylor said: They went out of stock quick /;

Experiencing some node problems, apperantely a process is eating a huge amount of RAM and working on resolving it. Only 7 are deployed at the moment, I will reopen the page ASAP I get this resolved.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@LiquidHost said: Experiencing some node problems, apperantely a process is eating a huge amount of RAM and working on resolving it. Only 7 are deployed at the moment, I will reopen the page ASAP I get this resolved.

Make sure to @Taylor me when you do :P

I will restart the node in 5 minutes to apply some updates, hopefully noone would start anything then.

• flyfly Member

edited July 2012

As mentioned, server had to be rebooted ASAP, there were problems with memory allocation, I posted it on the previous post.

Also, taking a look at your issue, as all the other users installed debian in a couple of minutes, something is wrong with your partitioning. Did you do anything custom or left it as default?

• @LiquidHost personally I just installed it as standard, using GUI and only using "reccomended" options, being this my first KVM VPS :P

@eastonch said: @LiquidHost personally I just installed it as standard, using GUI and only using "reccomended" options, being this my first KVM VPS :P

It was targeted at @kbar :)
    As he has been stuck on partitioning for 20-30 minutes.

• flyfly Member

just an encrypted lvm :)

@LiquidHost said: Sure, link me to the ISO. I wonder how 3.11 looks.

Let me get it, I'll send it tonight =)

damn, out of stock :(

@netomx said: damn, out of stock :(

Just to figure out something on the allocations, stock will be added in an hour

@LiquidHost said: Just to figure out something on the allocations, stock will be added in an hour

I hop eI can get one =)

• If, we like this. How much is it ?

Is this with virtio driver? I was getting around 190MB/s IO with dd, but might be under a load.