Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi (OVH) extreme traffic shaping to encrypted transfer protocols
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi (OVH) extreme traffic shaping to encrypted transfer protocols

Hi, I’m currently setting up a Kimsufi (OVH) dedicated server in Gravelines, FR and am noticing some aggressive and strangely implemented bandwidth management while transferring data.

Single HTTP transfer / speed tests show a good synchronous 100mbit connection.

However all encrypted, parallel connections such as btsync, scftp, https, etc all seem to be shaped to 10mbit or occasionally 25mbit.
The uplink is also heavily shaped in increments, seemingly based on the number of simultaneous connections. I have seen shaping down to 1/2mbit depending on protocol.

I have been running dash tests and the graphic below shows how the first connection often transfers acceptably, but as further connections are made, the aggregate of bandwidth received from all connections is throttled down to 10mbit.

Is anyone else experiencing similar shaping?
I am trying to ascertain if this is being applied to all low end servers at OVH Gravelines, specific to the switch or port etc.

Thanked by 1Blanoz

Comments

• i have seen this before. but it's not a constant thing (just randomly happens)

you could try disable the firewall.

Thanked by 1LoEnd
  • I have never measured this, but is it possible you're hitting a CPU bottleneck?

Thanked by 1LoEnd
  • LoEndLoEnd Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    i have seen this before. but it's not a constant thing (just randomly happens)

It does seem difficult to predict exactly when the cap is applied. I am wondering if it is triggered by UDP traffic?

@deadbeef said:
    I have never measured this, but is it possible you're hitting a CPU bottleneck?

This was my first thought too, however the logs from the last 24hrs are with nothing else running till I can resolve it.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

LoEnd said: I am wondering if it is triggered by UDP traffic?

They are/were known to limit UDP throughput to a low value in the past, not sure if this is still the case.
    Try not using UDP for transfers and check if TCP has the same symptoms.

Thanked by 1LoEnd
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I also think of cpu cap, encryption might stress an atom harder than a regular VPS where in most cases you will not notice the encryption overhead.
    If it seems to be unpredictable too, it points even more int his direction, because in case of a dc setting, it would behave consistently.

Thanked by 2deadbeef LoEnd
  • Hi,
    I also have the same problem with a Kimsufi server and BTSync.

You have solved? You've changed a server/provider? What do you suggest me..

Thanks a lot