Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Node Uptime
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Node Uptime

IxapeIxape Member
edited October 2011 in General

I see a few users here have uptime of 1 year + on their nodes. I've tried to achieve but get OCD and so reboots to lower memory usage. How do you deal with memory leaks?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I'm a habitual rebooter. Instead of locking my work PC I reboot it. Instead of logging off of a dev server I reboot it. If I uninstall a program I usually reboot it. The only time I don't reboot is after I install MS patches on my desktops... go figure. :D

That being said my home NAS and router were nearing the 365 day uptime but I rebooted them to troubleshoot a network issue instead of doing the sensible thing and just disconnecting cables... oh well. :(

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • bretonbreton Member
    edited October 2011

How do you deal with memory leaks?

Don't use the software with ones or restart only the leaking software.

Btw,

% uptime

03:55:12 up 54 days, 12:29

on a notebook

• I reboot our servers at least once a month. It's part of our contractual agreement with our datacenter.

In return, the datacenter spends three hours on battery and/or generator once a month so we know that those works. Many datacenters who have such seem to have issues with getting them running when they're needed.

• jhjh Member

You should be able to just restart the memory-hogging processes.

• $ uptime
    15:54:02 up 227 days, 6:01, 1 user, load average: 1.01, 1.07, 1.13

VPS at server4you, running minecraft, killing floor, teamspeak, mysql and nginx.
    Only the software that really leakes (like minecraft) needs to be restarted from time to time

• Home PC: 12:03:15:08

First Server:

[root@eclipse ~]# uptime

13:43:02 up 88 days, 6:57, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.17, 0.17

• All my VPSs never make it more than 2 months without a reboot due to kernel updates.

I had around 50 days on my laptop but the battery died.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I had around 50 days on my laptop but the battery died.

OMG that is a BIG battery HAHAHA

• it wasn't on battery the whole time.

• KuJoe said: I'm a habitual rebooter.

But not your nodes...

up 74 days, 2:49

Sweet :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

No, definitely not the nodes. I wish we never had replaced the PDU or the uptime would be 100+ days now. :(